Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: birth of another C55

birth of another C55

The conversion is happening. My C4.3L motor came out yetsterday (I actually feel sad & guilty). 5.4L is to go in today. I took a lot of pics; though the wife has the digital camera on her trip so I had to use our APS camera. Will have it developed to a CD.

Carl (coolcarlskic43) couldn't have been more correct. He set me up with a great guy to do it. The whole krew is a pisser; lots of euro tuner talent and "enthusiasm" (haven't seen a pissing contest to that degree about who's car can kick who's ass for about 20 years, but with wads of cash this time! ... though I figure that was answered in the wee hours of the morning after the work was done ). more to come.

Nice. A few years ago (before E55 motors became more available) the cool W202 thing to do was forced induction. THis is definitely going to be the new hotness!

about how much does the labor of this swap run, if I send it to same guy doing yours?

I assume all the parts cost around $8k

IT'S DONE!

It's Done ... And it's more then I could have imagined!

Right after restart, there was a "scarry" bunch of minutes (to me at least) with all the clanking coming out of the engine. After all, it had a complete valve job, so there was some concern in the back of my mind that not everything went together perfectly. But I was assured the lifters were so dry, it would take some time for it to "lube up". And that's what happened.

I let Jeff, the guy who did the work, have 1st crack at behind the wheel. Picture this -- a man who owns a turbo'ed C36 (used to be dual turbo measured @ 450hp @ the wheels, now one big honk'n turbo), who's no stranger to run'n it out and a good street race here and there -- exclaiming very enthusiastically saying things to the effect of "holy shit man, this car is fast ... this car can run..." (with three people in the car too). I'm not say'n my car's compared to his. But the fact that my car can impress a guy like that ... I'm freak'n on cloud nine.

Stock exhaust, Stock chip (on RON93 ignition retard), and it rips -- low milage engine with a good valve job making a lot of compression has a lot to do with it I'm told. I'm kind'a sorry I dished out the dough for chip'n it (wheels are in motion and I already paid 100%). But Carl and Jeff think I'll still get more out of it.

To answer, he spent I'd say, 20 hours on my job (25 - 30?). However realize, mine was in a fire, had crap throughout the cooling system so needed a few hours work to flush it clean; water and crap in the heads and some cylinders, so hours with that, had a valve job so was broken down to the point before removing the rods from the crank, then rebuilt , and needed =every= external part transfered from my C43 motor to the E55 motor (I basically got a long block with problems). Carl's job was more like 10 - 12 hrs I believe (not counting the post install problems they encountered due to the one of the cam's timing being off and the resolution of that).

I'm not going to estimate any cost though as every job is unique; I might owe Jeff more for the extra work he didn't expect with the original quote. But those are the hours. You should be able to get an engine from $5000 - $10000. The hourly or job rate to install. Plus ancillary parts that wear that you don't want to re-use on the new replacement, then plugs, fluids, etc.

I can't imagine a better man to do the job however.
    :bunny:

It's just amazing just how fast Steve's car feels.I'd swear it feels a tad quicker than mines. Yep Steve's car is a real beast so now I understand that there are now four w202's in the US with the 5.4L motors installed and Jeff is now the builder of two of them.

Congratulations Steve!

I knew you'd love it.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Thanx for everything Carl.
    I still think your car feels more like a locomotive when it hits second. The RON93 setting I'm running just makes it jump off the line a bit more. Amazing how close the two cars are tho. (for all those reading, Carl and I played a bit. when we both sync'ed up a good launch for about a 3/16th mile run, the two were absolutely neck & neck) I kinda think if we ran it out through 4th you'd have me. I Gotta go for a dyno!

Jeff ... I'm die'n for that suspension!

Originally posted by 98c43amg
    Thanx for everything Carl.
    I still think your car feels more like a locomotive when it hits second. The RON93 setting I'm running just makes it jump off the line a bit more. Amazing how close the two cars are tho. (for all those reading, Carl and I played a bit. when we both sync'ed up a good launch for about a 3/16th mile run, the two were absolutely neck & neck) I kinda think if we ran it out through 4th you'd have me. I Gotta go for a dyno!

Jeff ... I'm die'n for that suspension!
    Steve I'm going to ask jeffrey to set my car up for RON 93 and see what happens.I belive even though the chip is modded the car should still compensate.I was truly surprised at how your car ran with the Stck C43 computer.Jeff says he's almost sure the files are pretty much the same other than a few things lie the traction control etc.Also the yr motor that you have I think has 11 to 1 compression vs my 10:5 to 1 . I swear I woke up this morning just thinking about how fast your car is. I may have a very slight edge up top but when you get the software upgrade and exhaust done I think I'lll be asking for trouble.Good Job by Jeffrey and of course yourself!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

OG Moderator
    wow.. nice.

and the two of you live in the same area...

need to start racing for pink slip

It would be awesome if the two of you playing with the badge-reengineering..
    badging the car with 230K and the one with C280 LMAO

You can tottally smoke a lot of ricer out there, and they won't even know what hit'em

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Re: IT'S DONE!

You should be able to get an engine from $5000 - $10000. The hourly or job rate to install. Plus ancillary parts that wear that you don't want to re-use on the new replacement, then plugs, fluids, etc.
    For those very interested, I got the final Grand Total for =everything= [engine, shipping, labor, valve job, rebuild, parts, fluids, etc.] ... just a bit shy of $11K. I'm fine with that considering I can still get more by SC'ing it if this becomes tired or I want more, but if I SC'ed the 4.3L , that would have been it.

I know where there are two more E55 motors (one asking $10K, another $12K) if they were not sold (maybe three actually). Lemme know if you want me to dig up their contact info.

Personally, I don't know why Norman's white C43 > C55 conversion in SoCal hasn't sold ... and why he has to keep dropping the price. At the current price, it's a frigg'n steal (if perf is anything like mine & Carl's).

Originally posted by J Irwan
    It would be awesome if the two of you playing with the badge-reengineering.. badging the car with 230K and the one with C280 LMAO You can tottally smoke a lot of ricer out there, and they won't even know what hit'em
    hehe... well, I don't know if I'll go that far, but I'm taking Carl's approach and instead of my first thought of putting C55 badges on it, I'm keeping the C43 badges on it.

thanx much.

no one is buying it because people just don't buy modded cars, whether they don't trust the modding done, or they just want a stock car, a modded car has a very limited market, so good luck with that....
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    no one is buying it because people just don't buy modded cars, whether they don't trust the modding done, or they just want a stock car, a modded car has a very limited market, so good luck with that....
    In a way I can agree with you but your comment is way too general.I think it mainly depends on the car.There are plenty of modded Japanese cars that sell very well.Shall I name them? I've seen many a modded Porsche(911,944T) and BMW's get sold as well.

Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    ....so good luck with that....
    Good answer, but why the helll did you end it like that...? ruined the whole thing.

I'm not the one selling it ... I don't need the luck ... and it's a sarcastic, confrontational thing to say whether I was or not ... No wonder people jump on your ass when you post. And here I thought Club202.com had a "no a-holes" policy. :ermm:

And here I thought Club202.com had a "no a-holes" policy. :ermm:
    Not a policy per se, but something we always work towards...unfortunately, this be the internet and people will always comment however they want.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OK lets get back on topic. About that w202 C43 to C55 conversion.........

Originally posted by Renn 208
    Not a policy per se, but something we always work towards...
    I didn't mean for it to be taken seriously :P ... was just being facetious.

Man you NY guys don't mess around!! This sounds awesome

Can you post up some pics? So there should be like THREE w202 C55s??? That would be a most impressive shot!!

Congrats man, sounds like an awesome come back for your 202

I didn't mean for it to be taken seriously :P ... was just being facetious.
    so was I... you have to forgive my dry British humor

(disclaimer: I am neither British, nor humorous)

Anyway, back to topic...ECU issues aside, what would you guys do differently if you were to go through the process again?
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OG Moderator
    With all the east coast club202'er having fun with the big displacement...

where are you west cost club202'er , you guys should start playing with high-boost on those 3.6L ....
    you know who you are

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Originally posted by Renn 208
    so was I... you have to forgive my dry British humor
    (disclaimer: I am neither British, nor humorous)
    That's funny. You did a good job at "dry"... wasn't sure.
    Anyway, back to topic...ECU issues aside, what would you guys do differently if you were to go through the process again?
    I'm real happy. Nothing on my end, is my thought. Even with the work the motor needed, it sill came in thousands less then if I bought a 5.4L motor @ the typical amount salvage yards hold out for. However, I reserve the right to have another opinion later, as I haven't picked the car up yet ; just drove it about a 1/2 hour after the job was done.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    Man you NY guys don't mess around!! This sounds awesome
    Can you post up some pics? So there should be like THREE w202 C55s??? That would be a most impressive shot!!
    Congrats man, sounds like an awesome come back for your 202
    I'd hop in the Jeep and go to Ekerds and get the pix, but I fear they'll be closed. I'll pick up the pix (on CD) tomorrow.

Only two C55's here in LI. Carl believes there are four in the nation. Ours, MB Auto Werks', and Norman in SoCal.

Last night after the job was done, my car was next to Carl's in front of Jeffrey's house, 90 degrees to the curb. That would have made a great pic (night tho, with an APS camera ), but I forgot; plus had used the roll I had loaded.

Ya, come-back is a good way of putting it. Over the years, I was sure I was going to be an M3 owner, or S4 owner or RS6 owner (or RS4 if it had come sooner) or CTS-V owner ... much cheaper this way tho with equal or better perf compared to that list. Especially after application of the speedybenz suspension that should be ready any day now. (hint hint jeff, you read'n this )

BTW, I haven't touched upon this until now, but let me make mention. I'm very pleasantly surprise at the C43's stock AMG exhaust ... I would have thought it would have caused serious reduction in performance, especially in that the E55 has complete dual exhaust, but the car rips with it anyway.

you guys should start playing with high-boost on those 3.6L .... you know who you are
    Actually, Jeffrey, the guy who did the install is one of them. His car used to be dual turbo, but is single turbo now. from him, high boost goes with high heat in the heads leading to burnt gaskets... even with an upgraded cooling system.

BTW, I haven't touched upon this until now, but let me make mention. I'm very pleasantly surprise at the C43's stock AMG exhaust ... I would have thought it would have caused serious reduction in performance, especially in that the E55 has complete dual exhaust, but the car rips with it anyway.
    The W210 E55 and the C43 share the same exhaust setup.2 downpipes w/2cats each going into 1 resonator with 1 pipe leaving the resonator going into the exhaust pan.i'm pleasantly surprised as well withthe way your car runs with the stck exhaust.

With all the east coast club202'er having fun with the big displacement...

where are you west cost club202'er , you guys should start playing with high-boost on those 3.6L ....
    you know who you are

Regardz,
    You guys have more W210 E55's over there than we have over here on the East Coast so I hope you guys start getting with it over there.

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    The W210 E55 and the C43 share the same exhaust setup.2 downpipes w/2cats each going into 1 resonator with 1 pipe leaving the resonator going into the exhaust pan.i'm pleasantly surprised as well withthe way your car runs with the stck exhaust.
    oh, that's news to me. I thought it was true dual all the way front to back. Thanx.