Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: birth of another C55

whoa that C36 with the phatty turbo is crazy!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Nice swap man.
    :-o i need to know more about that c36t.
    what sortof setup is he running on the comp/injection side of things, it the biggest point of contraversy

Very nice C55, what sort of times are you guys getting 0-100kmph?

The swap was done under a tent at someone's house? I thouhght you would need all sorts of expensive diagnostic machines and what not following the swap to do proper tuning that only a shop would likely have.

Also, what kind of wheels does your C55 have? I had trouble making them out and I thought I knew every wheel on the market.

Finally, can you please have the owner of the turbo C36 join this site. As a previous owner of one, I have a thing for Mercedes' with turbo kits.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Under Pressure
    The swap was done under a tent at someone's house? I thouhght you would need all sorts of expensive diagnostic machines and what not following the swap to do proper tuning that only a shop would likely have.

Also, what kind of wheels does your C55 have? I had trouble making them out and I thought I knew every wheel on the market.

Finally, can you please have the owner of the turbo C36 join this site. As a previous owner of one, I have a thing for Mercedes' with turbo kits.
    Looks like it a kinesis wheel I am sure of it, but I am not sure which one , I can only tell it's k50 series.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I'll answer a bunch of posts @ once...

The guy doing the swap (with the blue shirt you see kneeling on top of the motor at times) owns HIS OWN Mercedes Star Diagnosis Computer... He's a head mechanic @ that Mercedes Dealership here on LI that owns the 1st SLR off the assembly line, Rallye Motors. He works the night shift & 4 days a week. ...niiiiice..... time for jobs like this.

Yes, Kinesis K58 (18") ... not K58r which is a smooth lip giving a deeper look. What I wanted was K28r, but new would have been about $3000 more. They were bought from a chap through this board. dunno off hand but a search will answer that. They're =really= beat up. Badly stained centers. Thinking of painting them. Came with bad road rash, but I knew that . I spent hours grinding, sanding,polishing the rims lip's edge and did a great job. The wife hit two curbs over one week -- once parking once driving -- making me now =have= to change the lips on at least one. Will probably do them all. They were beat up, but I'm sick of spending thousand and thousands on nice rims and having them bend on me ... so I thought I'd go this route for a fraction of the cost; yet I can change out what get damaged since they're 3-piece.

I don't think Jeff is very into the computer thing (he used his wife's account to exchange a few e-mails with me, and he probably wasn't even the one sitting there typing it ) or has the time with all the side work he does... owning your own Star Diagnosis Computer can be a good thing.

No measurements yet. Will do though, I promise.

The last pic in my gallery is of the =Dual= Turbo he took out of the car. One of the guys in the pics is taking them.

I'll ask him about technicals, if Carl can't answer them himself.

l8r,
    Steve

Originally posted by JonC43
    Those are incredible pix. I was always wondering what the internals looked like. I owe you for the education.
    BTW, Those are actually the lower res preview pix. I'm going to replace them all with higher-res versions... They're in TIF now and I didn't want to get involved with a batch conversion of all of them late last night, so will do tonight.

OG Moderator
    Wow, Sick cars, you NY guys know how to do it. Wish i could afford that stuff.

Can you Ask Jeff (MB tech) where he got the Exhuast manifold flanges for his turbo manifold?? Do you have any more pictures of his Single Turbo manifold??

Thanks.
    Got BRABUS?

Originally posted by 714guy
    Wow, Sick cars, you NY guys know how to do it. Wish i could afford that stuff.

Can you Ask Jeff (MB tech) where he got the Exhuast manifold flanges for his turbo manifold?? Do you have any more pictures of his Single Turbo manifold??

Thanks.
    Manifold (should I assume the flanges too?) was 100% hand fabricated by a local fabricator. I know that because I was thinking of giving my "spare" engine to the same guy to fabricate an adapter plate b'twn the M113 engine and a Getrag 6-speed manual transmission.

no more pix. I'll work on the contrast/brightness of the higher-res versions of the pics to try to bring it out more.

-steve

Originally posted by 98c43amg
    Carl ... this has been a few days of extremes. I just went from total exuberance to "eh, it works".

Guess what ... I just got your message tonight. I was actually thinking the same thing. I didn't know you were too. Against my gut feeling though, I let Tonino do the reprogramming of my ECU (I couldn't be there), and guess what .... You got it! It lost all of its luster.

It's no longer a torque monster. There's a delay to movement of the foot pedal. And when it runs, it just doesn't run as hard ... It thinks about applying the torque while the RPM is rising, instead of being 100% on from the split second you punch the trottle. At least if it had the "locomotive" feeling in second I've been saying you car has ... but it doesn't have that either. At least a plus for you ... I =know= your car would take mine now if we ran them again...

I'm frig'n pissed! :angry:

I feel like a heal for not leaving well enought alone (my wife's say'n "you always gotta go one step too far... you can't leave well enought alone once you're happy") ... and I'm frigg'n pissed at myself that I didn't check my cell phone and listen to that message where you told me to hold off chip'n it until I do a dyno run first... because I was thinking the same thing and if I would have heard your message that would have settled it for me. I'd have held off. ....Frigg'n PISSED @ myself!

There's one thing I can hope for... That I ask Jeff to put my car on the Star Diagnosis System of his ; I'm willing to bet it's no longer on RON93. After he set is, I have high hopes that the car will go back to the way it was ... (also make'n the $800 spent on the Superchip'n a waste )
    Steve this is what I would do.Ask Tonino to put your C43 file back in the ECU.Set it back to Ron 93 and then test drive it.If it still feels slow then that means the mass probably got screwed up by all the oil that was placed on the K&N filters.If the original C43 program and Ron 93 settings has the car feeling like the first night it was on the road,then the mass is fine and Tonino needs to get off his ass and check the files.If it's the same or similar file that I have now the car is supposed to run mean.I noticed it right away and so did you remember!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

... you mean like overheat the heads, burn the gaskets and overload the cooling system ... yes I agree. :rambo:
    On the contrary it's called "Boost" bottle feeding is for sissy's. When I get done in a few weeks we can do a dyno shootout, you pick your favorite place and I'll do mine here, and I'll put mine on video for you.. East meets West
    I like lumpy oatmeal.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Josh R
    On the contrary it's called "Boost" bottle feeding is for sissy's. When I get done in a few weeks we can do a dyno shootout, you pick your favorite place and I'll do mine here, and I'll put mine on video for you.. East meets West
    Are you fabricating your own manifold?? I need to check it out. Whats your address to your place, i want to swing by sometime to check it out if thats cool. What are the shop hours??

Thanks
    Got BRABUS?

Momma didn't raise no fool ... ...apples to oranges. With a NA engine, there's little to "dial-in" if the chip's map runs near max. You have what you have [or built]. With a boosted motor one can always dial it up for tests but turn it down for longevity. (why the hell am I even responding to this?)

Of course I'll post my results, but I'm expecting it'll be under 300hp/320trq @ the wheels. I certainly hope you do better if you're going through that effort. [!]

BTW, what are you doing it to? Does it have electronic shifting or vacuum activated shifting in the tranni?

[what made you think I was referring to NOS?]

Let's be fair now.We are talking about all motor here! If we go F/I watch out!!!!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    Steve this is what I would do.Ask Tonino to put your C43 file back in the ECU.Set it back to Ron 93 and then test drive it.If it still feels slow then that means the mass probably got screwed up by all the oil that was placed on the K&N filters.If the original C43 program and Ron 93 settings has the car feeling like the first night it was on the road,then the mass is fine and Tonino needs to get off his ass and check the files.If it's the same or similar file that I have now the car is supposed to run mean.I noticed it right away and so did you remember!
    Ya know, something's screwy. Today, the car was "better"; not as good as the first night, but better in 1st, less so in second (nothing like yours in second), then by third and above it was pretty lazy. I'm wondering if yesterday had to do with the transmission causing a problem. For some reason, after gassing up and entering the Southern State, the car wouldn't go out of 2nd... wouldn't upshift. I had to get off @ the next exit and turn the car off. When I started it up it was shifting normally. I wonder if that caused the ECU to go into some type of protection mode and dialed out the fun...?

Put it to you like this, We have a CLK 430 that lays down 407 whp at 8 psi peak boost. Car originally dyno'd 213whp stock.

The 280 in stock trim laid down 154whp, I figure with some headwork, cams and our charger we can get close to if not more than 300whp.

In response as to why I thought you where talking about NOS, is because you where reffering to thermal nuclear meltdown.

We do not believe in "cooking numbers" after all the gains really are not that much to even bother with it. With us the numbers the numbers and that's it. If it's low, that means it needs to be made better so it can achieve the higher number. Anyways back on subject, we having a shootout or not? I need a good reason to make BIG POWER!!
    I like lumpy oatmeal.

Ya know, something's screwy. Today, the car was "better"; not as good as the first night, but better in 1st, less so in second (nothing like yours in second), then by third and above it was pretty lazy. I'm wondering if yesterday had to do with the transmission causing a problem. For some reason, after gassing up and entering the Southern State, the car wouldn't go out of 2nd... wouldn't upshift. I had to get off @ the next exit and turn the car off. When I started it up it was shifting normally. I wonder if that caused the ECU to go into some type of protection mode and dialed out the fun...?
    Well I 'm not sure but like I said you could have screwed up the MAF.Or like I said just tell Tonino to put back in the original c43 file and see what happens.No sense speculating.

Put it to you like this, We have a CLK 430 that lays down 407 whp at 8 psi peak boost. Car originally dyno'd 213whp stock.

The 280 in stock trim laid down 154whp, I figure with some headwork, cams and our charger we can get close to if not more than 300whp.

In response as to why I thought you where talking about NOS, is because you where reffering to thermal nuclear meltdown.

We do not believe in "cooking numbers" after all the gains really are not that much to even bother with it. With us the numbers the numbers and that's it. If it's low, that means it needs to be made better so it can achieve the higher number. Anyways back on subject, we having a shootout or not? I need a good reason to make BIG POWER!!
    ...err, umm... congratulations ... ? ... ohhh you're my hero. ? Is that what I need to be saying to you to get you to leave me the f*** alone!

Before I get to what I really want to say ... I bring up burnt head gaskets because that's what made the guy who's got the single turbo'd C36 in my pic gallery who did my swap, take out the dual turbo setup of his you see as the last pic in my gallery, that was giving him 450 hp @ the wheels. His biggest wish is he can find someone who can make him gaskets that will last so he can crank up the boost on his current setup. Like I said, before, if my car is the apple, his car, like your car, is the oranges. ...are you getting it yet?!

I don't normally do this ... but ... What the f*** is up with you?! Have you seen me boast as "my car can kick any one of your car's asses" even once? Quite to the contrary I said " ya, but I know my place in the world... as a man with a big gun who enjoyed having his day made once said "a man's got to know his limitations"." And you start in after that.

How many thousands of people have CLK55's or W210 E55's ... Go to mbworld.org or amgpower.com and bug them... Let's see... Search: Josh R ... oh here's some post that I can go pester him on equally like an imature idiot...

...too bad this board doesn't have a "twit filter" so I don't have to see your posts between the others... [final expletive deleted]

Watch out now...sounds like a couple of mis-communications are snowballing into unintended offense.

My take:

1. 98C55 shows us all his new car

2. J Irwan sparks up the East Coast/West Coast challenge

3. couple others play along (myself included)

4. Josh R comes in to partake in the internet racing (and I assume he missed the earlier mention of the turbo'd C36)

5. 98 C55 makes a crack about engine meltdown referencing the turbo C36, but josh believes that 98C55 is making the assumption that Josh will use N20 for his C280 buildup. As an adjunct, there's an undercurrent/implication that Josh R's buildup will be unreliable.

6. on topic discussion continues

7. Josh R, being both an active internet as well as actual street racer...continues to egg the East Coast West Coast battle, beacuse, as seen far too many times in the past, people on the internet like to keep their drag races on the internet, and hardly ever get time slips/get track times...so I'm guessing he's looking for competition....the driver of development

8. Friendly Internet BSing and bench racing turns into mild anger from 98C55...and so that's when I come in.

No need to get actually angry...since both of you are taking radically different approaches to building the fastest cars you can. I think we'd all love to see a video showdown once the C55 gets dialed in, and the C280 k gets built...
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

o Thank you for the reality check.
    o Excellent synopsis.
    o Perfect conclusion.

Yes, our approaches are radically different ... and I =know= my approach is not pushing the motor into the "red-zone" and getting unusual output from it ... (though I know we still can when/if we want to )

SO JOSH, STOP POKING ME WITH A STICK! I'll dyno my car. I'll post it. But I =don't= think it'll be higher then your car with it turbo'd so I don't need you to keep pestering me into saying I think it will!

p.s. not angry , just really annoyed.

All I know is that I love any substantially modified car. I guess thats why I hang out in the "Performance Tuning" sections of Club 202. Props to anyone making thier cars faster.

Thanks for the info on the 4,3 engines 98c43amg Man, it's really tempting!

And congrats again on your car. Sounds like a beast

98C43,

Sorry if I inadvertantly ruffled your feathers,didn't mean to do so. I'm the type of individual that loves a good challenge, and like Renn posted earlier there was talk about an East vs. West challenge. Obviously your car being the one talked about is 1 of the big guns on the East coast, while us over here we get 91 octane gas to make power on. From my interpretation of the posts nobody wanted to represent the West coast so I took the job. Realise that it was not my intention to make you spit at your monitor in anger. I just see it as healthy bench racing, a.k.a. "keyboard racing".
    I like lumpy oatmeal.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    Thanks for the info on the 4,3 engines 98c43amg Man, it's really tempting!
    And congrats again on your car. Sounds like a beast
    Thanks much. It certainly is better...

But you have a '97 C36 ... ? The 4.3L motor might have about 19% more displacement, but it certainly doesn't have 19% more HP/Torque... Your motor's a great motor. The last of the truely "AMG worked" motors I'm made to understand. It begs the question, is it worth it? ...as opposed to hooking up with someone like Josh and letting him go to town to turbo it for probably less then the V8 conversion.

98C43,

Sorry if I inadvertantly ruffled your feathers,didn't mean to do so. I'm the type of individual that loves a good challenge, and like Renn posted earlier there was talk about an East vs. West challenge. Obviously your car being the one talked about is 1 of the big guns on the East coast, while us over here we get 91 octane gas to make power on. From my interpretation of the posts nobody wanted to represent the West coast so I took the job. Realise that it was not my intention to make you spit at your monitor in anger. I just see it as healthy bench racing, a.k.a. "keyboard racing".
    Well alright, but I don't know why you're saying "inadvertently". I let it be known several times I didn't think a NA engine could compete (don't forget, I'm running stock exhaust w/single muffler, not dual like all other 5.4L AMGs); if I didn't believe in it why would I partake in some "competition" that would only assure me a public defeat? Ignoring those statements, it seems you set out to get a rise out of me and you finally did.