Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: birth of another C55

Originally posted by 98c43amg
    ...as opposed to hooking up with someone like Josh and letting him go to town to turbo it for probably less then the V8 conversion.
    I don't believe Josh to have any plans to turbo charge any of the project cars. His core approach tends to involve vortech superchargers.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OK I'm here! Tell Josh to bring it onnnnn!!!!Nothing wrng with a friendly lil competition.That's what this forum needs in my opinion. F/I vs F/I Josh , and hope you can make it out east.Let me know!!!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

I hope no one gets shot in Shug Night's car in Vegas over this West/East hp contest. For what its worth, this 5.4L W202's are some bad muthas, and they are already in existence (as in, could be dyno'd today). If one of the 5.4L's supercharges, its pretty much over unless someone swaps in an AMG 6.5L twin turbo!

Originally posted by Under Pressure
    All I know is that I love any substantially modified car. I guess thats why I hang out in the "Performance Tuning" sections of Club 202. Props to anyone making thier cars faster.
    My friend sent me this ... Gotta love insanely modified race cars that =DON'T= have to run within restrictive rules set by the World Challenge or CanAm, etc.. In an effort to "equalize" the field, the make it so no car like this could ever run.

http://www.dumpalink.com/post/1118218575

Click the pic for the video.

Jeff (speedybenz), this one's for you:

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1118242853

Somehow I think you did better your 1st time...

My friend sent me this ... Gotta love insanely modified race cars that =DON'T= have to run within restrictive rules set by the World Challenge or CanAm, etc.. In an effort to "equalize" the field, the make it so no car like this could ever run.

CanAm restrictive? Man you are hardcore!
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

...err, woops! ...serious flub-up ... definitely not CanAm. Gran-Am!
    I was looking @ some classic cars before that, Chaparral 2J, and I had CanAm on the brain ...

and I had CanAm on the brain ...
    Ain't nothing wrong with that at all! In fact, I'd encourage it!

search. think. do. post.

OG Moderator
    woah...

I didn't this thread going to heated up this way.

I was encouraging a healthy competition... (hint hint : kameray guy ).

Anyway, let keeps the focus on cars discussion..

Damn now I wish I have a C43 so that I can do the engine swap
    All this 5.4L conversions make me drool..

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Carl ... this has been a few days of extremes. I just went from total exuberance to "eh, it works".
    Against my gut feeling though, I the reprogramming of my ECU (I couldn't be there) happen, and guess what .... You got it! It lost all of its luster.
    It's no longer a torque monster. There's a delay to movement of the foot pedal. And when it runs, it just doesn't run as hard ... It thinks about applying the torque while the RPM is rising, instead of being 100% on from the split second you punch the trottle. [snip]
    Update for any that care ... the car's doing much better today. The car must have been in some weird mode; perhaps having to do with the tranni getting stuck in second soon after I got going.

I'm beginning to think having the AC on has something to do with it, as the AC was off today. (I hardly ever used my AC with the 4.3L motor) You'd think with all that torque a lousy AC wouldn't make much difference... Does everyone else notice the AC sapping the power to a noticable degree?

Originally posted by mambo
    Very nice C55, what sort of times are you guys getting 0-100kmph?
    definitely 5 second-ish ... I've owned the "RoadDyno" for years ... time to install it!

The swap was done under a tent at someone's house? I thouhght you would need all sorts of expensive diagnostic machines and what not following the swap to do proper tuning that only a shop would likely have.
    BTW, I'd mentioned Jeff owned his own MB Star Diagnosis Computer ... but he didn't need to use it. The motor swap was 100% plug & play ; old motor out, now motor in, start it up, run it, and smile.

BTW, I'd mentioned Jeff owned his own MB Star Diagnosis Computer ... but he didn't need to use it. The motor swap was 100% plug & play ; old motor out, now motor in, start it up, run it, and smile.
    Nice.

By the way, did you ever just consider boring out your previous 4.3L into the 5.4L as a possibly more affordable alternative? If so, what made you choose the swap anyway?

Nice.

By the way, did you ever just consider boring out your previous 4.3L into the 5.4L as a possibly more affordable alternative? If so, what made you choose the swap anyway?
    I dunno ... I wouldn't have gotten the trick silica sleeves that's pressed into the block while the aluminum is hot so they fuse with it, and beefy bottom end. Plus according to Josh R the 4.3L motor has its limits to overbore. Click Here and scroll up to Josh R written 04-13-2005 01:57 PM.

Nice.

Now that whole process would be very expensive.Just about everything in the bottom end would have to be new.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

what made you choose the swap anyway?
    I forgot to mention ... When I heard C55's were made in extremely limited quanitites (50?) and only available in Europe, I wanted one. I would have bought an E55 in 2000 or 2001, but a) didn't have fold-down rear seats b) my wife and I didn't like the dark burl walnut wood used in the dash. So I've wanted to do this since about 1999 or 2000. The first 5.4L motors I found about 4 years ago were out of ML55s used as crash mules down south in crash test certification. However they wanted 15K for the motors. Brand new, but I wasn't up for paying that much then.

In Charge
    Originally posted by J Irwan
    Damn now I wish I have a C43 so that I can do the engine swap
    You can have my engine when I do a swap.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Denlasoul
    You can have my engine when I do a swap.
    I meant to do the swap for 5.4L not to 4.3L

if I do 4.3L I wouldn't gain that much

Look like we have another candidate for 5.4L swap from the West land

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Doesn't jnenad16 have a E55 motor for sale? Shipping from Hawaii to you in Cali shouldn't be too obnoxious.

Originally posted by c280nz
    Nice swap man.
    :-o i need to know more about that c36t.
    what sortof setup is he running on the comp/injection side of things, it the biggest point of contraversy
    c280nz,

I talked to 'da man today wit'da c36t. I hope I understood and transposed everything correctly.

He's running an M48 Motec stand alone system for ignition timing and fuel map. He did the programming himself.

He's using a fuel pump out of an S55.

Using 65 lb. injectors. (aren't those frigg'n huge?)

Hope this helps.

I may be going to dyno tomorrow with the chip tuner and Jeff both there. Carl was to be there but -- you ready? -- an employee driving his car out of the car wash nailed the gas instead of the brake and got into a head on collision with it!

Originally posted by Renn 208
    I don't believe Josh to have any plans to turbo charge any of the project cars. His core approach tends to involve vortech superchargers.
    that reminds me... I've been thinking about a unique way to run centrifugal superchargers the last year that I'm thinking I might want to patent as I've never seen it done before.

Originally posted by 714guy
    Can you Ask Jeff (MB tech) where he got the Exhuast manifold flanges for his turbo manifold?? Do you have any more pictures of his Single Turbo manifold??
    714guy,

I asked Jeff about this today. He gave the exhaust gaskets to a fabricator, and that guy made everything custom ... pipes and flanges. Would you like me to find out the fabricator's contact info?

-steve

c280nz,

I talked to 'da man today wit'da c36t. I hope I understood and transposed everything correctly.

He's running an M48 Motec stand alone system for ignition timing and fuel map. He did the programming himself.

He's using a fuel pump out of an S55.

Using 65 lb. injectors. (aren't those frigg'n huge?)

Hope this helps.

I may be going to dyno tomorrow with the chip tuner and Jeff both there. Carl was to be there but -- you ready? -- an employee driving his car out of the car wash nailed the gas instead of the brake and got into a head on collision with it!
    Oh yep, sorta already presumed he would have gone stand alone with the power hes making, hes stepping it up hard out. i have no intention to go standalone, to complicated and expensive for a pleb like me :-(.
    im not sure what 65lb injectors are, we run metric here, but at a guess thats prolly like 850-1000 cc * 6 injectors :-)

whats the basics of your idea for a centrafugal sc? if u dont mind me askn? not intention of copying just read a fair bit of everything that can be done for them and it may have already been tried

Originally posted by c280nz
    Oh yep, sorta already presumed he would have gone stand alone with the power hes making, hes stepping it up hard out. i have no intention to go standalone, to complicated and expensive for a pleb like me :-(.
    im not sure what 65lb injectors are, we run metric here, but at a guess thats prolly like 850-1000 cc * 6 injectors :-)

whats the basics of your idea for a centrafugal sc? if u dont mind me askn? not intention of copying just read a fair bit of everything that can be done for them and it may have already been tried
    For reference ... Doing a search on this board (this board is incredible) I learned that the C43 uses something like 24 - 26 lb. injectors ... so 65 lb. injectors are a mega step-up over that.

Sorry, I can't say. I have to do a patent search and discuss with an attorney specializing in this field. I just don't want to chance it in such an open forum.

OG Moderator
    714guy,

I asked Jeff about this today. He gave the exhaust gaskets to a fabricator, and that guy made everything custom ... pipes and flanges. Would you like me to find out the fabricator's contact info?

-steve
    Thanks, for the info. Just didn't know how i could get the flanges.
    Got BRABUS?