Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want real carbon fiber on my panels!!

i want real carbon fiber on my panels!!

guys, i was sitting in my car the other day and was staring at those plastic panels made to look like CF. well, i don't like them. but i haven't heard any company that makes dash panels for w202 and people told me that those kits are horrible. so my question is, had anyone ever try to make their own? i saw these hayame carbon fiber sheets on ebay. they seemed to be thin and relatively easy to apply. anyone had any experience with that?? i am thinking of put the CF layer on top of the plastic. thanks.

This is the cover for the cup holder. The expoxy has cured and I'm almost done sanding the excess carbon. I'll follow up with more sanding of the exoxy to get the highs and lows even out then follow up with a UV clear coat.

It's not the finish I was hoping for (I hate 3D gloss) but its fine. Perhaps I can fix it with the choice of UV clear.

I am building a CF interior for a member of this board. Once Im complete I'll let him take the photos of the finished project.

That is a hint of who this interior is intended for
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

wow... nokia, u r good...
    hey, do u mind sharing the basic steps of doing this? i really would like to know. i thought that they come in with tape on the back and i can just stick it on. well, i am probably just ignorant...
    please let me know how u do it. and what do i use to take the panels off.
    also, would u happen to know how can i take the cup holder unit out? the last owner left quite a bit of junk in there at the bottom and without removing it i can't clean it.

trymonlam:

I think I know what youre talking about. Its generally carbon that has already been infused with expoxy then a 3M like adhesive in the back so you can just tape it on things.

My process uses non infused carbon, you basically buy it by the yard. Which you infuse yourself with what ever resin you like, in my case I use a 2 part long pot life expoxy only because of where I live.

I am probably not the best at giving directions for composites. Your best resource would be your local library or bookstore and read up on automotive body work (ie fiberglass) this will give you the basic understandings. But none of the reading in the world can take the place of trial and error.

As for the cup holder. I usally just pull up and it comes out. Im sure other members have a more better way than my hamfisted ways.

thanks nokia.
    i know the type that ur using. thought of it... but then i have to take all the pieces apart to do it and the 202 is the only car i got at the moment... so, i will probably just gonna try with the 3m adhesive type.
    about the cup holder, i will try an see if i can pull it out. thanks for the help!

i love carbon fiber nice job nokia!!
    some are haters and some are lovers , but me..... i\'m a shiner!!

trymonlam
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/266992

slammed c hope u dont mind youre car is the bom!!

??
    aruba, what is it are u trying to show me?
    i guess it really isn't about whether i mind or not, i don't even know what to mind.
    is that your C there?
    i thought u own a white one. confused...

no its not my car its slammed c's car but slammed c put some kind of carbon fiber vinyl on the interior trim so i tought you might wanna chek it out ,to me it looks good look in the interior section of slammed web page

Originally posted by aruba
    btw this is my ride
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803030
    nicely done interior. my c280 sport's got cheap looking vinyl headliner... i am quite envious of the non-sport models about that. and yours especially nice.
    dual exhaust eh? might want to think about a bodykit to wrap it in.
    don't get those LED tails. the stock looks great now.

Originally posted by trymonlam
    thanks nokia.
    i know the type that ur using. thought of it... but then i have to take all the pieces apart to do it and the 202 is the only car i got at the moment.
    These pieces are not intergral to the operation of the vehicle so dont let that stop you from pulling apart your car.

u know what? u r right.
    it's much easier come to think of it. even if i am just use the adhesive type, taking them off would be so much easier to do.

alright, when i have the time to do it, i will ask around to see how to take the center console off.

thanks guys!

i have a question how do you remove the piece that is in the dashboard??

got no idea... i am sure nokia knows. he should be able to tell u in a jiffy.

In Charge
    If I am not mistaken, there is a previous Thread which addresses the removal.
    Originally posted by nokia8860
    So does this cover still have the same thickness as the original finish?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

found this

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...t=trim+removal it helpt me , might help you guys http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...&highlight=bow even better men this forum rocks!!!!

Wow, that CF is high quality!

well, i still want to know how to remove the trim on the dash... anyone can share that info with me?? anyone?

hey nokia, is the process of carbon fiber similar to working with fiberglass?

trymonlam check my last post you will find everything you need to know about how to remove the dash trim

In Charge
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by nokia8860

This is the cover for the cup holder. The expoxy has cured and I'm almost done sanding the excess carbon. I'll follow up with more sanding of the exoxy to get the highs and lows even out then follow up with a UV clear coat.

It's not the finish I was hoping for (I hate 3D gloss) but its fine. Perhaps I can fix it with the choice of UV clear.

I am building a CF interior for a member of this board. Once Im complete I'll let him take the photos of the finished project.

That is a hint of who this interior is intended for
    WOW.. awesome work Nokia.. where did ya get the carbon fiber from?
    Ive been searching for places to buy some so I can do the same thing to my interior wood.. I hate the look of the wood.. need CF!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

The upper dash piece (long curved piece) came out on my car
    by gently prying out on the corner on the passenger side, once
    the prong is out of the slot the whole piece slides to the side.
    To the right if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.
    1998 C43 White w/blue & black leather, xenons and more.
    MODS: 18\" SSR GT3\'s 8\'s front/ 9\'s rear. Custom cross-drilled AMG rotors
    w/red calipers. H&R sport springs and Koni yellows, avantgarde grill, custom blue CF interior trim, Llumar
    35% Tint. Clear corners, 2) K&N
    filters. Blaup/Chicago
    7\" monitor DVD w/ 5:1 surround, Pioneer center channel, JL Audio W7 8\" sub w/Memphis 500W amp,
    illum. door sills and alum. AMG pedals.
    MODS coming: It might be for sale.

Spring Master
    wow looks like my