Thread: exhaust help please c280

exhaust help please c280

As says, i own a m104 I-6 c280 and are debating what exhaust mod to do.
    here we have no restrictions or smog testing, i have done a search but got mixed/confusing responses.

at standard i have the standard resonator>cats>back muffler.
    And were wondering to either remove cat + resonator leave back muffler (using straight pipe)
    or leaving the cat + resonator and replacing the back muffler with a straight thru "dump style pipe". <this will look good

I was wondering on sound and performance of ppl who have done either of these mods.

Thanks for help ppl :-)
    -Logan-

Yea I have been wondering about exhaust options for some time too. (c280 v6). I know my recent favorite exhaust note is that of the vq35 in the 350z/g35/fx35 etc. Not too loud, but a great tone through the whole RPM range. Anyone know if i can mimic this tone in my car?
    1998 C280 Sport - 91k (original tranny, can\'t wait) - \"Baby Benz\"
    2002 E320 - 30k - \"Big Momma\"
    1991 300E - 120k (what a solid car) - \"Land Yacht\" - SOLD

c280nz, do the W202's in NZ have all the O2 sensors around the cat like the US Spec W202's? Because if they do, you will have to do something so you dont trip the CEL should you decide to remove the cat. I would say just leave the cat on in either case. My WRX has no cats and sometimes it smells like exhaust and farts in my car.

By the way, I met a beautiful girl from NZ last at South Beach. She got mad when I said US won the America Cup lol!!!!

hey i would say most of the 202's here are imports...mine was from singapore...it didnt have a cat for some reason,and it didnt have an o2 senser there either hmmm

My WRX has no cats and sometimes it smells like exhaust and farts in my car.
    lol i get that when i run 91 with high solpher levels in one of our work vehicles....but dont get it when i run 96 or 98 in the benz with no cats....

Yeh there are 30000 more woman than guys here at the mo!,no wonder there leaving for overseas heh
    ps we'll win the cup back!(when our guys stop jumping ship LOL)

Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

cheers for the help so far guys.
    um my car is nz new, and it doesnt appear to have a o2 sensor on the cat. or anywhere i can see under the car.

just to confirm my car has the cats then the resonator from the motor back ah.
    it goes 2 cats into one resinator then into the end muffler.
    Is that correct?

And usa didnt win the americas cup back did they ;-)
    -Logan-

hmmm my exhaust was totally different ...i just had two resonators and the muffler,it all looked factory too....

LOL Ops your right,the swiss won last time man i couldnt name one player in the All blacks haha

Originally posted by 23K
    hmmm my exhaust was totally different ...i just had two resonators and the muffler,it all looked factory too....
    I just talked to merc shop. i dont even have a cat. it is,like u say to resonators and a big muffler .
    So i may remove the large muffler
    -Logan-

hey thanks for the thumbs up on my bumper!
    are you going to replace it with a straight through design??
    If you do im fairly sure even with the two resonators,it will be very loud,and you may even get high resonance inside the car.
    I had this problem on mine...I learnt the expensive way

have you thought about a Remus exhaust or C36 muff or the like?

Paul

yea talked to the merc shop bout a amg exhaust but he said very $$$.
    may wait till end of year and design with boost in mind,
    as there is no simple cheap test pipe install i can do like ive read about with the cats.
    cheers to ppl for any oppinions provided
    -Logan-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-34095469.htm

23k what do u think about putting these on instead of my rear box muffler. i would leave the 3 mufflers on under the car and just replace the end one with this as a good looking straight through pipe?
    any thoughts as to noise quality loudness etc? cheers
    -Logan-

hey,
    hmmm,im not sure about those tips...i'd say no.
    the straight through muff will be loud for sure!,it was very loud on mine,i got a headach in minutes driving it!!...
    but if your going to put a turbo in line then it would probly be ok!....

I paid $800 for the Muff,because someone got it in and didnt pick it up....apperantly worth over 2K!!!.

I did see an AMG 190 with a straight through muff last night...sounded like my mates honda,again turbo would change everything...

so i guess go SS or Remus or AMG if your not turbo'n,and straight through if turbo'n...but i'd still be inclined to stay away from straight through...Just from my expensive lesson.

Paul

I got my C280 done today, all i have is a straight pipe, and a C36 AMG muffler (had the 2 cats and middle muffler cut out), it sounds great, nice bassy idle, and up in the revs starts to sound like an M3, love that straight 6 , but there is no droning at all,and it is fine on long trips, so i would reccomen it to anyone with a straight 6, not sure about the 4 bangers

Originally posted by benzboy
    I got my C280 done today, all i have is a straight pipe, and a C36 AMG muffler (had the 2 cats and middle muffler cut out), it sounds great, nice bassy idle, and up in the revs starts to sound like an M3, love that straight 6 , but there is no droning at all,and it is fine on long trips, so i would reccomen it to anyone with a straight 6, not sure about the 4 bangers
    hey welcome to the club....
    which part of NZ are you in?
    I think the C36 muff is one off the best choices for the 202!...
    how much did you pay for yours?
    im running two resonators and the C36 muff at the moment,but only because i temporarely had straight through twin muffs...which were way loud lol

Paul

Hey, im in north west aucks (Helensville) and work at coutts mercedes benz in newmarket, the 280 already had the C36 muffler when i got it... along with the body kit, interior, wheels..., its pretty much a C36 with a 280 engine. What part of aucks are you from?

hey,
    im just south alittle in hillsborough!...
    its a good score you picked up all the C36 gear for cheap!...
    I picked my C36 muff up off coutts way back around the start of the year,I got a good deal that time...
    but i dont buy parts there as its way cheaper to buy from startech etc
    my parents have bought quit a few new cars from there recently also,and i was in a few months back to plug into diagnostics...
    what part of coutts do you work in?....

Paul

The grooming bay, lol, yeh, startech was great, im sure I am a very valued customer after owning the 190E er, where is hillsborough, haha, living in the wops my knowledge of auckland isnt that great

My car was born at coutts mercedes in auckland.
    i have asked them for advise from time to time and they seemed to be very helpful.
    Wheres this startech place? and how much they sting for a c36 muffler, cos id love one by my local merc place asked for my leg for it

Originally posted by benzboy
    The grooming bay, lol, yeh, startech was great, im sure I am a very valued customer after owning the 190E er, where is hillsborough, haha, living in the wops my knowledge of auckland isnt that great
    heh yeh well...at least you get to work on nice cars!

lol hillsborough is about 10mins southwest of newmarket

Wheres this startech place? and how much they sting for a c36 muffler, cos id love one by my local merc place asked for my leg for it
    hey i will find out how much they can get it for,im due there tomorrow to pick up some plastic clips for my side skirts...
    there in kellow place,Manukau.

Paul

damn I had to fly to chch for two days,if you want to cheack prices with startech there number is (09)263 6354...

Paul