Thread: On road ECU Logging...

On road ECU Logging...

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket on road ECU logging system that works on our cars???

can MB plug in on road and tell me these details?

I need to see what the Engine RPM is,What the Mass sensor is reading and the temperature of the intake...which should aid me in calculating VE....

Rgrds,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

The Nology scanner will do that as will most scanners that can read the OBD II codes for an MB.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

C55 Charter Member
    I own two PC based loggers, CarCode and AutoTap. I like them both, but probably like the "less flashier" CarCode better.

BTW, I learned there's a catch (from the manufacturer of CarCode). The bus only operates at something like 10Hz on MBs (at least my 1998). With data propogation speeds through the COM port and inherint delays between reads in OBD II, thats a maximum of around 8 updates per second (if I remember correctly) logging only one item. Log two, less then 4 updates per second. ...and there's a lot of things to scan. If you get carried away, you can easily find you're logging only one update every few seconds, not several updates every one second. Crappy resolution, yes. But if you are sparing with what you scan (3 or 4 items) you'll find you can have at least one update per second or better.

Hi Jeff,
    camber arms are holding up great!.
    Is the Nology scanner PC based also?.

If its PC based,do you need a laptop on board?

C55m8o,
    So am i better to go for the Autotap?,I need to log three things at once,will this be too much for the CarCode?

sorry i will need to be spoon feed on this topic as iv never indulged in the scanning process...

Rgrds,
    Paul

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by 23K
    C55m8o,
    So am i better to go for the Autotap?,I need to log three things at once,will this be too much for the CarCode?
    No, that's not what I meant. The max speed of taking readings is goverened by the car's network bus speed, not the scanner. Scanning speed is pretty much the same for either program, from what I remember; I guess a slight edge to CarCode.

Reason being the CarCode gives you more configurability regarding the data being read over the COM port and lengths of delays to wait for a codes and such, so you can tweek it; something this programmer likes. It also gives you more detailed graphs in the X-dimension (time) and a great playback manager. However graph size is constrained to a limited maximum size. I remember the method one "activates" what to graph is pretty obtuse too. (don't worry, the graphics look good & sharp unlike what you see in the review in the link below)

AutoTap is more "consumer freindly" and seemingly less technical. The AutoTap has nicer graphics and a "dashboard" type layout, and you can customize the "snap-in" graphing components you want to use. I think it might have a better and easier to work with export to comman delimited file format too; but I might have that backwards.

...I really need to scan my Jeep as it's got some bogging and lousy fuel milage ... event after adding hi-pref everything to the outside of the engine except for headers (maybe I need a valve job). I hope I blow the dust off the two scanners to give you feedback soon enough for your need.

Here's a very good review of CarCode with a lot of screencaps:
    http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/Carcoderview.shtml
    you'll get a good understanding of its operation and GUI from here.
    buy it from here http://www.obd-2.com/

Here's where you buy AutoTap from:
    http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html
    I think it's a bit more $ too.

...the How-to page is pretty good on AutoTap's site.

I bought CarCode first, then AutoTap. I was going to return AutoTap as I liked CarCode and was good enough if not as "pretty", but then I found something I liked about AutoTap better then CarCode so decided to keep that too ... I just can't remember what that was now [!!!].

Great Info!
    I understand it now,thanks man!

Rgrds,
    Paul

Also iv read somewhere that the OBD-2 is port is located around the steering wheel area,do i have to remove the panel above the pedals?,my car is a 97.

Paul

OG Moderator
    No, you'll see a small flap just in front of where your right knee would be and underneath the dash. It just snaps open to reveal the connector.
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

my autoenginuity system does that as well. I havnt had much luck with the dyno function yet.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

the cutomer service and tech help is outstanding.

Originally posted by benzfan
    No, you'll see a small flap just in front of where your right knee would be and underneath the dash. It just snaps open to reveal the connector.
    I pretty sure my car doesnt have OBD-2...I cant find that connector anywhere...I thought all cars after 96 had it...or is it only in US?,i think mine was new from singapore.

Paul

OG Moderator
    If your car is RHD, look on the left side of the car well under the dash and towards the console. The only requirement was that it be within 3ft of the driver, which allows for tremendous latitude, but I can't see them changing its location for another market. Although OBD II is in fact a North America only thing, Mercedes might have kept it throughout the world due to the annoying complexity of implementing it (extra module and whatnot for setting the CEL).
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

-off topic-
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-30626230.htm
    heres a white c23k manual 90,000km going for $18,000nzd

Just to keep a fellow enthusist informed, Im not sure if you still talk to "got wake" but this is the car he wanted but it now has come down significantly in price and is a good deal

Originally posted by benzfan
    If your car is RHD, look on the left side of the car well under the dash and towards the console. The only requirement was that it be within 3ft of the driver, which allows for tremendous latitude, but I can't see them changing its location for another market. Although OBD II is in fact a North America only thing, Mercedes might have kept it throughout the world due to the annoying complexity of implementing it (extra module and whatnot for setting the CEL).

I will have a another look tonight,...I pretty sure its not there...
    and if it isnt there then i guess i need to go to MB and have them plug there on board stuff in,at $100 and hour

Originally posted by c280nz
    -off topic-
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-30626230.htm
    heres a white c23k manual 90,000km going for $18,000nzd

Just to keep a fellow enthusist informed, Im not sure if you still talk to "got wake" but this is the car he wanted but it now has come down significantly in price and is a good deal
    Hey,
    This benz has been for sale for along time,even back when i lived in the bay of islands,a local guy owned it...he wanted to sell it back when i bought mine,but it was a very low spec model,no leather,no kit,no white gauges etc,so mine was an easy pick!.
    its also hard to sell the manual benzes here,mine was on the yard for ages(they wanted 48K for it then),i tried to trade my evo3 for it but they wouldnt,i think i test drove it 3 times lol,then this hair dresser bought it,then i tracked it down about 6 months later and made her an offer,sold

I havent heard form "Got wake" for ages,while i was out at silver star farms the other day,i sat in the seat of his recked C280,man it was pretty bent!.
    Laters...

Paul