Thread: yes I seached. Rear deck rattle.

yes I seached. Rear deck rattle.

I have the most annoying rear deck rattle, and it has nothing to do with the 15" sub and 1000 watts of power. I happens when the car is moving, it sounds like a squeeking noise, like thin guage metal rattling around. I want to remove my entire rear deck pannel to hunt it down.... but I cant figure out how to get it off. I know how to get the speaker grills off, and the med kit tray out, and see three plastic clip/plug things across the front.... but then what? Basically, I want to get to this stage:

http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkum...misc/deck1.jpg

Thanks guys. Oh, and I will post some pics of the new sub set up here soon.

-Beau
    98 C230 - Black Opal

You sure its your sound system?
    I had a rattling noise when i drive and when my music has high bass and i found out it was the rear brake light. The cover is lose, i just used some tape on the inside. That worked.

Hope this helps?
    1997 C280 Sport

Hmmm,
    the brake light plastic cap will rattle for sure....
    the next step to removing the rear tray is to remove the rear pillar sides,there alittle tricky,but if you remove a portion of the door rubber surround,you will see three or so clips holding the top front portion of the pillar cover,once you have popped those off,then the whole cover slids up just alittle then towards the front of the car...do this on both sides and the tray will come out also.
    alittle hard to explain i know...

i also have rattles comming from my pop up sun shade,and also the med box.

Rgrds,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Actually that helps a lot. I thought it could be taken off without the sides removed. Thanks.
    98 C230 - Black Opal

What sub and amp? I have had a few small stereos in my car and never had a rear deck rattle. Can you pin-point the rattle to a certian area or are you just guessing its somewhere in the rear deck area?

23k how did u fix ur sunroof rattle cause i have the same problem, and its seriously killing me

It has nothing to do with the stereo. Actually, turing the stereo up helps because I cant hear it. With the stereo off, it happens as I drive around... and its annoying as hell. BUT...... its not as annoying as tying to remove those goddamn headrests. I tried everything, even drilled a couple little "access" holes to get to the inner levers (I have the folding seat). I can feel one side release... then when the other side releases the first side goes back in. ARRRGH! I messed with them for about an hour. So, I said screw it and am now modifying the rear deck so it can be removed with the headrests in place.

If your still wondering, the sub is a Fosgate Power T1 15" in a 3.0 cu ft ported box tuned to 30 hz, running off the sub section of a Memphis Belle at 1 ohm.... about 1100 RMS. BOOOOOM.
    98 C230 - Black Opal

Originally posted by Beau M
    It has nothing to do with the stereo. Actually, turing the stereo up helps because I cant hear it. With the stereo off, it happens as I drive around... and its annoying as hell. BUT...... its not as annoying as tying to remove those goddamn headrests. I tried everything, even drilled a couple little "access" holes to get to the inner levers (I have the folding seat). I can feel one side release... then when the other side releases the first side goes back in. ARRRGH! I messed with them for about an hour. So, I said screw it and am now modifying the rear deck so it can be removed with the headrests in place.

If your still wondering, the sub is a Fosgate Power T1 15" in a 3.0 cu ft ported box tuned to 30 hz, running off the sub section of a Memphis Belle at 1 ohm.... about 1100 RMS. BOOOOOM.
    ops,i forgot about the head rests!...there alittle tricky to huh,but if you remove the plastic bases around the headrest poles,you can slide a small screw driver down the side,after alittle play you will hit those plastic arms,remember to set the them back into the central position before inserting the headrests again...as i didnt and only one clip on each head rest locked in,then i couldnt get them back off,and had trouble tring to lock the other two lol.
    A good book to buy at your local tech books store is Haynes maintanence manual for the C-class,it covers everything.....except the torque specs for the flywheel,how to pull apart the inside of the diff/gear box,and how to remove the rear wheel bearings,oh and doesnt cover the SC part of the 230K,but for general use its great!...

23k how did u fix ur sunroof rattle cause i have the same problem, and its seriously killing me
    hey Abuimad,
    I dont have a sunroof(would be nice though),i was meaning the rear pop up sun shade that can be installed on the rear deck,i still havent fixed it,as it only rattles when the sounds are going,still annoys the crap outa me though!....

Rgrds
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

with the amount of rattle my sunroof is making....im actualy in envy of u for not having one

I am so damn frustrated right now. I wan to go trade in this car, its driving me crazy. After being cramped in the back seat for 2 plus hours sweating my nads off, I have this to show for it. A rear deck that is hacked to allow removal without removing the rear headrests, and the goddamn rattle is still there. I took everything out anf applied some peel-n-seal, and some more padding under the rear deck. But, no dice still rattles. While I was driving around without all the pannels in place there was no rattle.... Also, the rattle seems to go away if I fold the seats down. Mabey its in the release mechanisms or something. Screw it, I will just live with it a while longer, Im tired of spending time on this fuggin car.
    98 C230 - Black Opal

Grease the fuck out of the fold down seat mechanism where it clips. Wd40 and Household oil should do the trick.

do you know what annoys the fuck out of me when my 2 12s are bumpin? The sunroof switch and dome light switches! fuck anyone know how to stop? the buttons shake!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

I bet it is in the fold down seats too. I had a rattle back there that drove me nuts, I pulled off the road a few times to search for it. Then I decided to drive with the seats down, and no rattle. Lubricating the mechanism stopped it permanently.