Thread: acetone as an additive?

acetone as an additive?

Been seeing a lot of "fuel saving tips" lately and acetone seems to come up a lot.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

Any thoughts on this? Would it damage our fuel system?
    1995 C280
    bilstein sports, h&r springs, 18\" carlsson 1/5s

i've never heard of using acetone in my tank at fill up. i'm saying it's not going to work, but given the amounts stated in the article, it's kinda hard to belive that such a small amount of acetone will do so much. i guess an ounce won't do harm to the fuel system right? someone needs to volunteer their car and report the findings.

toluene and xylene are most often cited as octane boosters, however, unless your engine truly benefits from higher than available at the pump octane, you'll see little to no gains.

Boosting octane does not in and of itself change your mileage or power. It's only when other factors work in concert will you see a change in performance.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

shiiit is this true...well i dont mind being the first person to try it, however excuse my stupidy how much should i put if i was to try it on a full w202 tank....in CC's plz
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

please do a google search before going down this path. The only recommendation that I can give you of how much nail polish remover to put in your tank would be 0 cc. If after learning more about gas additives yourself, you still want to try things out, you're more than welcome to.

FTFA:

Acetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car's fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that "ideal" is not always the case in practice. Be advised that not all systems have been tested against acetone. Until such thorough testing has been accomplished and certified by a accredited authority, you assume your own liability for experimentally testing acetone in your particular system.

Personally, I were in your position and looking to increase mileage, I'd make sure that your tires are properly inflated, do not use A/C, keep the windows rolled up, and change your driving habits...if that's too much to do, then just get a smaller engine'd, more fuel efficient car.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

myth busters did a thing on this.. or someone did. Any way the cliffs notes was that it did increase octane but in order to get any benefit you would need to use enough that would also east the rubber lines and plastic as renn stated

they did acetone, tolulene, moth balls and a few other things. BTW moth balls are mostly tolulene.

so in conclusion yes we would get a higher millage but we would end up paying more cause our car would get !@#$%%.....
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

this is the thing(so far). I have been running acetone in my car for a week now. 2.5oz per 10gal=5oz per tank. the following has been observed. mileage increase, roughly 5%. power increase, maybe 2%, the car runs smooth, no surging at idle as with some fuel additives on the market I have tested.
    The car I am testing on is my 89 300SE, so you have to take into consideration, the mileage is about 110K, the compression isnt as great, the fuel parts are worn out(injectors, FPR, pump), so the efficiency of the engine isnt at its peak, so the gains are minimal. others will have maybe better, maybe worse gains. all depends on the efficiency of your engine and your driving styles.
    as for the acetone eating up rubber hoses, I dont think that is a threat in this case since you would be using a very small concentration(2-3 oz per 10gal.).
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

problem is we see the pros now, however cons dont appear till later, i would rather play it safe than sorry so i would happily pay that 5$ extra in gas, than pay for other engine malfunctions...then again its just me