Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speedybenz On Board

Shit those shocks are trick
    -Logan-

I'm truly jealous Steve! If I had your $$ I'd burn mine!LOL! I'd really love to get some of the sway bar and endlink stuff but this guy Jeff does not return PM's or emails!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by c280nz
    Shit those shocks are trick
    oh man, tell me about it -- 6-click compression adjustment, 25-click rebound adjustment with the turn of a dial. very ... Plus Jeff spent a year or more dialing the valving in, working with his Penske guy; I don't know how many times he tried different ones, it but I think even more then once or twice is some serious dedication. He ended up with a dual digressive valving for both compression and rebound.

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    I'm truly jealous Steve! If I had your $$ I'd burn mine!LOL! I'd really love to get some of the sway bar and endlink stuff but this guy Jeff does not return PM's or emails!
    LoL -- ok, Mr. NextUpIsForcedInjection . That don't come cheap! nah... the spending spree is over. Got a another mortgage to pay for now [forced savings ; think'n about retirement]; cut'n back on all normal monthy recurring living costs to help compensate.

C55 Charter Member
    For any interested, follow this link for a short description of the shocks (this UK page is set up nicer then the US page).

Originally posted by c55m8o
    ...I guess I'll find out once the rear tires come off ... [in other words "you're ask'n the wrong guy..." ]. Crawl under your car like I just did so I could correct my previous post. You'll get a better picture looking @ it then me -- a neophite -- trying to describe it.

We talked about sway bars. He thinks my stockies will be adequate. Going to Delrin bushings on the sway bars goes a long long way to beefing up thier effectiveness.

Dunno what you mean about struts. But if you're going down the road of coil-overs, I've been told by my Jeff M. (the other Jeff, who swapped my motor) the suspension geometry/layout doesn't allows for it.
    by struts I meant this thread http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I believe it can also be called a strut brace, if that helps? also I was wondering why he thought the sways were fine? He upgraded his, and since you were going for his suspension why not get the few extra things he did? Are the sways not much better than stockie? also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

renn we all apreciate the way you do things here

c55 im in love with ur car..u got the hottest engine..the best suspention, and the car looks clean......(hope u drive it like is intended to be driven
    )
    good luck installing them bro...
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    by struts I meant this thread http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I believe it can also be called a strut brace, if that helps? also I was wondering why he thought the sways were fine? He upgraded his, and since you were going for his suspension why not get the few extra things he did? Are the sways not much better than stockie? also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?
    That is called "stress bar" aka "strut brace"......

This component ususally use to bolt on the shock tower ro reduce chassis flex under heavy cornering.

Off couse the name strut brace is more appropriate to be used for car with actual front strut suspension.

And as far for polyurethane bushing ....please use imagination...
    But I'll tell you this. Polyurethane bushing materials are harder and firmer than rubber bushing.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

i just want to say i envy youre suspension!! hope to see pics of the install!!
    some are haters and some are lovers , but me..... i\'m a shiner!!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?
    I did and its awesome, handles real nice.
    Got BRABUS?

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by Abuimad
    renn we all apreciate the way you do things here

c55 im in love with ur car..u got the hottest engine..the best suspention, and the car looks clean......(hope u drive it like is intended to be driven
    )
    good luck installing them bro...
    ...have you seen the pix of my "other" mod to my car? ...to the rims specifically ... for them to get that way, you know that I do. (see my gallery @ the link @ top, then click "other mods")

Originally posted by c55m8o
    oh man, tell me about it -- 6-click compression adjustment, 25-click rebound adjustment with the turn of a dial. very ... Plus Jeff spent a year or more dialing the valving in, working with his Penske guy; I don't know how many times he tried different ones, it but I think even more then once or twice is some serious dedication. He ended up with a dual digressive valving for both compression and rebound.
    Man thats some serious adjustment i think if i had it id just drive round all day trying out different settings on different corners, your gona hate fuel prices with how much your gona wana drive her .

I cant wait 2 c the finished job! your car will pritty much have race car suspension, and drive like one!
    we are gonna need to see some track videos as evidence
    Congrats man, you prolly got one of the fastest cars round these parts now!
    -Logan-

C55 Charter Member
    If you've read Renn 208's article on speedybenz, you have it all already (xcept video)

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...&threadid=6948

After all, it's speedybenz's suspension we're talking about. Only, I won't profess to be able to drive like him...

it would be a lot of work but if you got some numbers before and after the install it would be interesting to see the difference... skidpad, slalom, and a track time.

i just want to know how much for everything w/o the shocks, springs, and perches?... anybody... please?

so what would that be? rear camber arms, derlin bushings for front and rear, rear end links... and ?
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by Metromoto202
    i just want to know how much for everything w/o the shocks, springs, and perches?... anybody... please?
    Sorry, I bought a kit and didn't itemize. Jeff would have to quote you that.

Thanks for the nice comments about the suspension kit.

The 2nd set of "camber arms" are to be fitted to replace the lower rear suspension link that runs from near the bottom of the hub at a slight incline. It helps set the rear tires at the correct front to rear position, ie: they keep the wheelbase consistant, where as the stock pieces and the rubber allow the wheelbase to change under hard luanches and cornering.

Also these arms allow the alignment shop to get the car chassis square, so that all four tires are going in the same direction.

The cost for everything without the shocks? I don't know at the moment. I never really figured it out. But there is a lot of machine work to alter the spring perches to fit our Mercedes instead of some stock car sled with 5 inch springs. Plus you need to clamp the upper part of the spring perch to the lower part which rests below the stock control arm, to keep the perches very stable, as the upper spring seat swivles to keep the spring perpendicular to the chassis and thus eliminate any binding in the spring. This also allows the spring to move in a freeer way and so it allows the suspension to be more compliant to big and small bumps.

Steve, I may want you to try the 850 lb/in spring first in the front.

Anyhow I am glad you have the parts and look forwrd to working with you on the install.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

I kind'a thoght so, i just didn't want to bother jeff any more than i had to... any prices would help, thanks

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by speedybenz
    Steve, I may want you to try the 850 lb/in spring first in the front.
    Anyhow I am glad you have the parts and look forwrd to working with you on the install.
    hehe ... not even on and making changes already...

I was going to ask if summitracing.com @ $60ea is a good place to get them, but then realized they didn't have them in 2.5" as they did in 5.5". So where should I get them?

Can't wait.
    Put another way ... have'n =trouble= wait'n!
    :cheek:

I know you are swamped @ this time too. Do you think some sort of write-up on the shock setup [droop?] during installation is possible? Else perhaps I'll have to do my best impression of a courtroom stenographer, and try to keep up taking notes while you give me the description again. :crossid:

I'll talk to you later,
    -steve

Steve, If this weekend is not too late I will get you pictures and directions for the install.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

C55 Charter Member
    It won't be too late at all.
    Thanx much,
    -steve
    p.s. what vendor would you recommend that I purchse the springs from?

C55 Charter Member
    Thought I'd give an update since I have some news... got a quote for under $1K to install the kit, corner balance and align the car. Car goes in Monday.

stay tuned...

also, this racing shop owner's Kleemann relationship went with this partner when they split ; but he's going to try to get a Klemann LSD for me to install that week too (tho this guy lost his dealership with kleemann, ironically, we was the tech for the shop and the one that would do the installs & machining and the one that knew Benz's )

C55 Charter Member
    Update ... going to pick up the car in a few hours...

C55 Charter Member
    ...and....DONE!
    :banana:

Getting a corner balance before alignment...
    The car's settled since I left the shop ... it's tucked ... a lot.
    Might actually have to have the car raised a 1/2 inch to an inch.

The rears... (the rear spring perch bolts have since been cut) You can see the camber arm, lower link arm, and swaybar link arm in this pik; with remote reservoir nicely tucked away but easily accessible.

If the installer had pix of the completed front on his memory card, I didn't find it, so I'll have to take some myself. (I have pix of the front with the wrong [rear] springs installed the 1st time around, but no reason to post those... ) 'Till then, puttting in the adjustable spring perch in the front:

With springs and Delrin Bushings:

< All 50 Shop Pix HERE >.