Thread: shift knob removal

shift knob removal

anyone know how to remove the shift knob?

This is a job for...East Coast Paul and nokia!
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

JOEY!!!!!!! instruction for a shift knob removal.... I still remember my 1st post on Benzsport asking the same question..
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

twist the plastic black collar to the left by 90 degrees (it will go) then pull up!

This is so funny! I just got my wood shifter today! I know it needed a 1/4 turn to the left and pull, but when I did it, nothing happened. I don't feel a detent or anything.
    Didn't strip it did I? I know it comes off cuz Scorchie showed me how before. I am so lame... I guess some people are just destined not to mod:dispoint:
    Obsidian Black 1999 C43

Originally posted by mis-u-jerr
    This is so funny! I just got my wood shifter today! I know it needed a 1/4 turn to the left and pull, but when I did it, nothing happened. I don't feel a detent or anything.
    Didn't strip it did I? I know it comes off cuz Scorchie showed me how before. I am so lame... I guess some people are just destined not to mod:dispoint:
    There is like a ring right beneath the knob. Hold that ring down and twist it.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

does jerry have shift knobs in stock? last time i checked they were on order.

OG Moderator
    Jerry has most styles in stock. If not he orders them pretty quick (I got mine that was backordered in 7 days)
    Token Chrysler owner

Originally posted by 00kompressor
    does jerry have shift knobs in stock? last time i checked they were on order.
    He was out of stock on the one I got, took about 3.5 weeks for it to come.
    Obsidian Black 1999 C43

So to get the shift knob off you hold the black plastic piece and twist the knob to the left. My friend twisted the entire piece and now the shift knob is loose (ie twists about 15 degrees each way easily) any way to fix this? I thought i'd take if off and see if i can glue it or something. Thanks!
    \\\\86 190E 2.3
    \\\\00 S500
    \\\\00 ML320
    \\\\94 E320

k sorry, i guess i can't read twist the black piece to the left! Thanks guys
    \\\\86 190E 2.3
    \\\\00 S500
    \\\\00 ML320
    \\\\94 E320

Originally posted by Renn 208
    This is a job for...East Coast Paul and nokia!
    Haha, a meeting of the knobs .... seems several of us met this way . I really think they need to put this info in the owners manual :bunny: .

Find collar at bottom of knob. Quarter turn counter-clockwise. Pull up on entire knob .... firmly if nesecary. Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. It is embarassing to explain to ppl at work the next day that your car beat you up .
    What\'s orange, brown, black, and red?
    Give up?
    They\'re COLORS, dipshit!

I just installed my new shifter in abot 32 seconds that easy!! Got the polished metel with AMG old school badge embedded in it looks smooooothh. Autorice came through!!!-MOE
    98 c43(mine) lots of goodies
    97 c280sport(hers)17 monos only

Originally posted by Kühl Carbon
    Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. .
    LOL! Yeah, mine was tough to pull off. But it's on there now and looks sweeeeet.
    Originally posted by moedigga
    AMG old school badge embedded in it looks smooooothh.
    Ya mean with one with the tree and cams? I wanted to get that one too, damn...
    Well, nothing more old skool than wood
    Obsidian Black 1999 C43

The one with the tree and cams.-MOE
    98 c43(mine) lots of goodies
    97 c280sport(hers)17 monos only

Haha, a meeting of the knobs .... seems several of us met this way . I really think they need to put this info in the owners manual :bunny: .

Find collar at bottom of knob. Quarter turn counter-clockwise. Pull up on entire knob .... firmly if nesecary. Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. It is embarassing to explain to ppl at work the next day that your car beat you up .
    I think I told you at one point I was gonna give up and just hack it off! hahaha
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

thanks for the info... i twisted mine... and it would move but not come off... thought i broke it OH SHHHHTTTT...!
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

i take that back... i did break it!! it wouldnt come off so i got sooo frustrated w/ it that i broke it... it would turn little bit left/right and i tried to pull it up, but didnt move, i mean i REALLY tried! so i phuck it, its stock knob so i busted out the pliars and off she came, bottom collar and all... hope i dont need that for the new one... lol
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

Is this procedure the same with all the years? Thanks

Where yall buying the knobs from?

Originally posted by ja2k
    Is this procedure the same with all the years? Thanks
    yes..
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Originally posted by r0csfinest
    Where yall buying the knobs from?
    i would like to know to...mines looking a little worn
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

You can find it any where. Ebay, mymercedes.com etc..etc..etc...
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

I have a 94 and there is no locking ring on the bottom of it. Is there a way to get an updated shift knob with the capability to remove it?

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Originally posted by BoominBenz
    I have a 94 and there is no locking ring on the bottom of it. Is there a way to get an updated shift knob with the capability to remove it?
    Yes but you have to change the shift rod. If you get a shift mechanism from a breaker off a later model such as a '95, all you need to do is take apart your centre console so you have access to your shifter, at the front just beneath where you have the shift rod, switch and P, N, D and all that is a small clip which you push in and the whole thing should be able to be pulled up.

The shifter is attached to the gears by a pin which you need to carefully take out.
    You never had me, you never had your car