Thread: I love my new G5 iPod video!

C55 Charter Member

I love my new G5 iPod video!

This is one amazing piece of technology! :banana:

- bought the 60Gig G5 iPod this weekend. (in black of course!)
    - extensively researched video formats supported and programs that kook video.
    - bought an iPod in-car video cable from XtremeMac [the RoadShow]
    - kooked some videos and DVDs into various supported formats to test them out, in PAL 25 fps
    - plugged into the COMAND
    ...and viola in car movies! Quite reasonable quality (tho color saturation is low), and can fit dozens and dozens of DVDs on a 60Gig iPod if you forgoe adding any music to it. I doubt I'm going to install a DVD player in the center armrest now.

Kewl! Did the cable plug directly into the Command? If so, what was the part #, I'd like to try it out.

C55 Charter Member
    No. I have a little black box that Steve MBenzNL installed behind the center console underneath the COMAND to convert from a three wire AV cable to the COMAND. I think you might be able to get a Bekker part that does the same (might be wrong if it's audio only)

Steve ran a power line and AV cable under the center console for me that comes out on the center hump behind the center arm rest @ the bottom. So I need a male-to-male adapter to wire the RCAs up right now. I want to completely take the center console out from front to back and remove that wire to replace it with the RoadShow cable.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php
    (it's 4' long, not the few inches long you see in that pic.)

are you getting the multi funct steering wheel and 210 cluster now? so you can control all your movies, songs, and videos from the steering wheel?
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    are you getting the multi funct steering wheel and 210 cluster now? so you can control all your movies, songs, and videos from the steering wheel?
    No, don't like the steering wheel look or the look of the black 210 cluster.

Still, if I did, couldn't control the iPod as far as I know. At least not with that AV cable I'm talking about. Maybe MB has a cradle that integrates with a newer COMAND (maybe not) and multi-funct capabilities, but I'd be amazed if that works with the old 210 technology (wheel & COMAND). But hey, I could be totally wrong on that one.

were you planning on getting anything else from steve? oem tv tuner? memory seats, heated back seats, vented seats, those little lights everywhere? did you ever get ill amg door sills? i can't remember
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    were you planning on getting anything else from steve? oem tv tuner? memory seats, heated back seats, vented seats, those little lights everywhere? did you ever get ill amg door sills? i can't remember
    I'm not in too much of a hurry for TV nor is it very available for this old COMAND; but I might still consider it but that might be one of the last things (tho the longer I wait the less likely it is to be available).

I didn't think of asking about a memory seat conversion until after Steve's last visit. Kicking myself. Dunno if it's available, but I'd like that a lot.

I would =love= ventilated seats, but Steve has convinced me it simply won't work/fit on the 202.

you mean under car lights? eh... I'm too old for that.

AMG sills. Sure. You didn't see the pix?
    http://public.fotki.com/m8o/kar_kraz.../cimg0989.html
    http://public.fotki.com/m8o/kar_kraz.../cimg0993.html
    They're a real pain in the butt to put in. I can't thank Steve enough for doing it ... working 'till about 4am! He said something like 'forget selling the ones I have left. I think I'm going to throw them away when I get home'.

...Good memory!

What I want is LSD, but that just got a lot harder. Kleemann is no longer letting dealers install them; they mandate they do it. That ain't gunna happen! The speedshop I use has a whole bunch of pinion gears from them he'll never be able to use now, and Kleemann won't take them back...

the lights everywhere I meant like in the center box, the deep one, it has a spot for a light there, puddle lights if you don't have those, and lights in the foot wheels, and on the back on the front driver seat, like a sort of puddle light for the back, heh no neon kits of a benz, however, brabus puddle lights of sideskirts look awesome, and I believe he has been able to put a oem tv tuner for this comand, do you have the w210 or w163 euro one...? He had a thread posted up about it, that's a shame about vented seats, there's got to be something he could do, I mean man oh man vented seats its a basic need in life... especially in cali

***C43***

I need help on how to transfer a dvd file onto my ipod video!?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by benzonline
    I need help on how to transfer a dvd file onto my ipod video!?
    This is the DEFACTO thread on 5G iPod Video Conversion Programs

In short, there's two formats supported:

- MP4 H.264 which is 320x240 only. Good on the iPod screen but not so hot on a TV. Low color saturation. Pretty quick to encode with things like PQ DVD that both rips & converts very easily and quickly.

- MPEG-4 480x480. What that dimension means is any resolution can be displayed as long as ...

a) the width and height dimension multiple to a number less then 230400 [480*480]

b) each number is divisible by 16 (there's some debate as to whether the 5G iPod really does enforce this requirement or not).

This mpeg-4 format is much higher detail and resolution then H.264; however file size is larger compared to the filesize H.264 produces if you encode to the same 320x240 resolution. Looks great on the TV when you output it. However encoding is much much slower. You sometimes need to use a different program to rip the DVD and then convert. Kooking a DVD is easily several hours.

Use PodSize to determine a valid vs. invalid resolution for different aspect ratios and encoding formats to cook the video to. (note the image of the iPod screen changing from red to green for invalid or valid sizes)

A few notes about Video out:

- Video can be output through the headphone jack, counter to what the "wizards" told me in the Apple store. Video can also be output through the bottom connector.

- Config the iPod to ask you if you want "TV Out" to be on or off. This will ask where to "pipe" the video every time you play one, and enable you to output it to a TV. You can only display the iPod video either on its screen, or out through either of the two connectors.

- Shown in the image below, if you use a standard "camera" AV cable in the headphone port of the iPod, the Video comes through the Red wire, Right Audio through White/Left wire, Left Audio comes through the Yellow/Video wire.

There =is= a valid reason to do this, allowing the the same port to deliver music to headphones, and AV to typical AV cables.

A few more video conversion articles:

o The easiest way to convert DVDs/video for your 5G iPod.

o Rip & Convert DVD to iPod, iPod Video Converter

o Getting the Video out of Your New iPod--for Cheap! (once the video is in the iPod and you want to show it on your TV)

o FREE iPod Video Converter 1.26.816 Just found this... every other converter covered in the linx above are pretty much from $25 - $50

TV & Video forum @ iPodLounge

...good?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by c55m8o
    I'm not in too much of a hurry for TV nor is it very available for this old COMAND; but I might still consider it but that might be one of the last things (tho the longer I wait the less likely it is to be available).
    What comand do you have in your W202?.. the 163 or 210 Euro?.. I have the W163 Euro comand in my car.. I am looking for a euro tv tuner myself.. but so far have been unsuccessful.. steve doesnt have anymore.. and I cant order one through my dealer as they are illegal to have in Canada!!
    I will find one somehow!!
    whats this black box installed in your car so you could hook up your ipod to the comand?.. any MB part numbers on it? or any other part numbers on it?
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

OG Moderator
    No. I have a little black box that Steve MBenzNL installed behind the center console underneath the COMAND to convert from a three wire AV cable to the COMAND. I think you might be able to get a Bekker part that does the same (might be wrong if it's audio only)

Steve ran a power line and AV cable under the center console for me that comes out on the center hump behind the center arm rest @ the bottom. So I need a male-to-male adapter to wire the RCAs up right now. I want to completely take the center console out from front to back and remove that wire to replace it with the RoadShow cable.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php
    (it's 4' long, not the few inches long you see in that pic.)
    is this the black box that Steve installed you speak of?...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    is this the black box that Steve installed you speak of?...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem
    There's a very good chance that's it (that's some stoopud money for that). However, I "thought" the box had the female RCA connectors on it, not female RCAs on a cable you see in the photo. But that might be wrong. Actually, no I'm right. Here it is with connectors onthe box (box is under the wires):

I'm getting so forgetful. I don't remember if Steve said a friend of his makes them or not.
    (I think the COMAND I have is from the ML.)

OG Moderator
    There's a very good chance that's it (that's some stoopud money for that). However, I "thought" the box had the female RCA connectors on it, not female RCAs on a cable you see in the photo. But that might be wrong. Actually, no I'm right. Here it is with connectors onthe box (box is under the wires):

I'm getting so forgetful. I don't remember if Steve said a friend of his makes them or not.
    (I think the COMAND I have is from the ML.)
    Yeh it is a lil bit expensive.. but still far cheaper then a tv tuner from benz.. and I cant even find any tv tuners at all anyway!!.. so this may be my only option.. how do you like it? work well?