Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: :)Sneek preview of my header:)...

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    You should easily be able to make more than 245 at the crank.That's very moddest. With enuff fuel,timing,right size intercooler,and hoses,your car should at least do that at the wheels. ave you looked into getting a piggy back ECU to control fuel and timing?If the compression is low enuff and everything else is setup right ,you can make 300 and up at the crank!
    the turbo i have is rated for around 320hp,my target is 300!
    I like to remain alittle moddest!,i'd like to be suprised at the outcome...however im sceptical of the gains because of the trouble speedwerx and ernest jones had with there setup(running stock ecu)...
    and im not planning ECU work for the initial stage...
    piggy back is definatly on the cards...as a local tuner told me he used to race an MB and using the stock ecu+piggyback and said it was better than going stand alone...the difference being it was a turbo diesel running 38psi and untold fuel pressure(produced 460HP)....he also mentioned the exhaust spat parts now and then LOL...
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Originally posted by 23K
    the turbo i have is rated for around 320hp,my target is 300!
    I like to remain alittle moddest!,i'd like to be suprised at the outcome...however im sceptical of the gains because of the trouble speedwerx and ernest jones had with there setup(running stock ecu)...
    and im not planning ECU work for the initial stage...
    piggy back is definatly on the cards...as a local tuner told me he used to race an MB and using the stock ecu+piggyback and said it was better than going stand alone...the difference being it was a turbo diesel running 38psi and untold fuel pressure(produced 460HP)....he also mentioned the exhaust spat parts now and then LOL...
    Well ,here's the website for your needs. http://www.splitsec.com/

Keep us posted.i know 2 guys using this ,one with his 1999 E55and the other on his supercharged clk55 with an aftermarket supercharger kit .They put out good #'s and say that the split second piggyback wrks flawlessly.This setup will help you tremendously!here is the link:http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...ighlight=split

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Well ,here's the website for your needs. http://www.splitsec.com/

Keep us posted.i know 2 guys using this ,one with his 1999 E55and the other on his supercharged clk55 with an aftermarket supercharger kit .They put out good #'s and say that the split second piggyback wrks flawlessly.This setup will help you tremendously!here is the link:http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...ighlight=split

thanks for the links,I will check it all out!...iv never gone right into the ecu/sensor signal tuning side of things,so will need to pick it all up as i go...

Paul

Originally posted by 23K
    thanks for the links,I will check it all out!...iv never gone right into the ecu/sensor signal tuning side of things,so will need to pick it all up as i go...

Paul
    It's very important once you look to make real power turbocharging or supercharging.The split second piggyback will allow you to make as much power as you can safely while making sure your motor can survive ! I have an eagle talon(Same motor as the EVOLUTION Lancer lll)it puts out 412whp about 500hp crank and tuning is the most important aspect of a turbocharged car. Not enuff fuel or too much timing and your turbocharged motor will surely become nothing but a blownup chunk of metal only good to anchor a ship. TUNING,TUNING,TUNING! Very important. Try to get to know someone who has a turbocharged beast that will be able to tune that beast for you.Someone reputable that is.The stck ECU will definitely be at it's limit once u turn up the boost and are making a certain amt of pwr.This can be harmful to your motor.Keep me posted if you have any question.You've done a total nice job with your car.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

It's very important once you look to make real power turbocharging or supercharging.The split second piggyback will allow you to make as much power as you can safely while making sure your motor can survive ! I have an eagle talon(Same motor as the EVOLUTION Lancer lll)it puts out 412whp about 500hp crank and tuning is the most important aspect of a turbocharged car. Not enuff fuel or too much timing and your turbocharged motor will surely become nothing but a blownup chunk of metal only good to anchor a ship. TUNING,TUNING,TUNING! Very important. Try to get to know someone who has a turbocharged beast that will be able to tune that beast for you.Someone reputable that is.The stck ECU will definitely be at it's limit once u turn up the boost and are making a certain amt of pwr.This can be harmful to your motor.Keep me posted if you have any question.You've done a total nice job with your car.
    I used to have an Evo 3,they run well!...
    there are quit a few good local tuners here...so it shouldnt be to hard to pay someone to do it...however...im very interested in the technical side of it...
    what i would like to know more,is the workings of our ECU and sensor etc...the MAF uses a 0-5V range?,and the the split sec device they were using was a PSC1-001...which was used to alter the voltage after the MAF "pegged"...what does pegged mean?(im guessing its the where the MAF cannot accurately read outside its range)...
    also the device used "cells"...which i guess is tuning incriments within a given RPM ?

I would like to know how an altered/mapped signal will produce the fuel required to run higher pressure...does it need to work in with a FPR and maybe an upgraded fuel pump?

also what is an FMU?(fuel .... ....)

thanks for your help!

FMU = fuel management unit. As far as engine management, I never understood that stuff so I will back off here and let the experts in haha

Originally posted by 23K
    I used to have an Evo 3,they run well!...
    there are quit a few good local tuners here...so it shouldnt be to hard to pay someone to do it...however...im very interested in the technical side of it...
    what i would like to know more,is the workings of our ECU and sensor etc...the MAF uses a 0-5V range?,and the the split sec device they were using was a PSC1-001...which was used to alter the voltage after the MAF "pegged"...what does pegged mean?(im guessing its the where the MAF cannot accurately read outside its range)...
    also the device used "cells"...which i guess is tuning incriments within a given RPM ?

I would like to know how an altered/mapped signal will produce the fuel required to run higher pressure...does it need to work in with a FPR and maybe an upgraded fuel pump?

also what is an FMU?(fuel .... ....)

thanks for your help!
    Basically from what my understanding is,the piggy back fools the ECU into thinking it's getting a certain amt of air thru the MAF. The computer then compensates for the info received and will determine whether you need more or less fuel.

Cells I believe does have to do with tuning increments per rpms.I know this is how the APEXi AFC wrks.

Another thing that I recommend is using a higher flow fuel pump to make sure your getting a nice volume of fuel.Your stck fuel pressure reg should be ok.

I can refer you to a guy on this forum and MBworld.org who can really give you better details and theoryh about using the piggy back and or whether you will need to use a FPR with it.I am going to send you more links of guys you should try and get in touch with who are having success with the split sec.

Any questions concerning tuning you can also ask these guys.

JoshR and Josh k are members of this forum as well.

To me the thread with GregC and his CLK55 is the most informative one about the split sec piggy back.He loves it!

These links are very imformative:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133487

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128029

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showt...276#post1430276

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125694

This one is long but excellent:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...0&page=1&pp=50

Basically from what my understanding is,the piggy back fools the ECU into thinking it's getting a certain amt of air thru the MAF. The computer then compensates for the info received and will determine whether you need more or less fuel.

Cells I believe does have to do with tuning increments per rpms.I know this is how the APEXi AFC wrks.

Another thing that I recommend is using a higher flow fuel pump to make sure your getting a nice volume of fuel.Your stck fuel pressure reg should be ok.

I can refer you to a guy on this forum and MBworld.org who can really give you better details and theoryh about using the piggy back and or whether you will need to use a FPR with it.I am going to send you more links of guys you should try and get in touch with who are having success with the split sec.

To me the thread with GregC and his CLK55 is the most informative one about the split sec piggy back.He loves it!

woa thanks your the man!...,theres a wealth of info there!,will let you know how i go when i cross the tuning bridge!

hey Ross....worst fears confirmed,iv just been over for a look at the manifold...turns out i will need to make a custom radiator tank!...and also one part of the manifold is like 10mm from the side of the strut tower...so either use a hammer to gain room or cut and weld a cup shape piece of metal in...ooor could install hard engine mounts+ maybe an engine damper...sounds like alot more work on the way LOL its always the case....might have her up and running by late this year maybe

oooo guttedd...ahwell thats what you got to do for your 202!!!

Originally posted by undercover
    oooo guttedd...ahwell thats what you got to do for your 202!!!
    yeh...really i dont mind,it will definately give the bay a custom look!,hmmm the issue of header clearance maybe a headach though...

at least my IC pipes came back with nice welds

Paul

Damn that last thread is huge!!!....was it me or towards the end did sombody mention ditching the SC for turbo!?!?!lol

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K

hey Ross....worst fears confirmed,iv just been over for a look at the manifold...turns out i will need to make a custom radiator tank!...and also one part of the manifold is like 10mm from the side of the strut tower...so either use a hammer to gain room or cut and weld a cup shape piece of metal in...ooor could install hard engine mounts+ maybe an engine damper...sounds like alot more work on the way LOL its always the case....might have her up and running by late this year maybe
    DAMN!!!.. well that aint good bro.. but at east it will be all custom and look cool!!
    maybe if you find a coolant reservoir form an other car that fits well in the space?...
    man this is becoming one HUGE custom project!!... how about solid brass engine mounts!??!!
    I will email what I found about the oil pan..
    and according to this there is an actual gasket for the oil pan.. not the black silicone like the M112/113 motors.. it seems odd to me.. guess you will have to check out the dealer for the gasket..

byt the way.. nice welds of the intercooler pipe man.. that guy you have does nice work.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    DAMN!!!.. well that aint good bro.. but at east it will be all custom and look cool!!
    maybe if you find a coolant reservoir form an other car that fits well in the space?...
    man this is becoming one HUGE custom project!!... how about solid brass engine mounts!??!!
    I will email what I found about the oil pan..
    and according to this there is an actual gasket for the oil pan.. not the black silicone like the M112/113 motors.. it seems odd to me.. guess you will have to check out the dealer for the gasket..

byt the way.. nice welds of the intercooler pipe man.. that guy you have does nice work.
    YIP..one huge project man,just when i thought it was all down hill!!
    ....im keen on doing an alloy tank,maybe fit an alloy oil seperator tank beside it to complement...and somhow fit that pump in there too!!
    Im alittle worried about changing the engine mounts to harder ones as this will induce loads of vibration through the chassis etc
    installing an engine damper will also cause vibration...but im guessing not as much....
    I'll most likely end up cutting a hole in the strut tower and welding in a cup like piece of metal which will give me the clearances i need!
    hey did you find those engine mount numbers??

hey yeh the welds are even better than they look in the pic!!...i would have purchased new IC piping and had a few less welds but nobody does 60mm alloy mandrel bent pipes here!..only imperial!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    YIP..one huge project man,just when i thought it was all down hill!!
    ....im keen on doing an alloy tank,maybe fit an alloy oil seperator tank beside it to complement...and somhow fit that pump in there too!!
    Im alittle worried about changing the engine mounts to harder ones as this will induce loads of vibration through the chassis etc
    installing an engine damper will also cause vibration...but im guessing not as much....
    I'll most likely end up cutting a hole in the strut tower and welding in a cup like piece of metal which will give me the clearances i need!
    hey did you find those engine mount numbers??

hey yeh the welds are even better than they look in the pic!!...i would have purchased new IC piping and had a few less welds but nobody does 60mm alloy mandrel bent pipes here!..only imperial!
    Well that could be interesting.. a nice aluminium coolant tank.. geeeez.. how much is that gonna cost though!??.. or are you past the cost by now?!! lol...
    well hard mount would put heaps more stress on the chassis and block too.. may cause the knock sensor to retard timing on you!!
    so ya gonna have to cut into the tower huh.. any pics the clearance issues?
    Yeh sorry.. thatnks for reminding me!.. okay.. the Engine mount part numbers are 203-240-03-17, and 203-240-06-17.. but I really dont remember there being 2 different part numbers on the boxs.. these are the part numbers on my bill!.. they are correct though.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Well that could be interesting.. a nice aluminium coolant tank.. geeeez.. how much is that gonna cost though!??.. or are you past the cost by now?!! lol...
    well hard mount would put heaps more stress on the chassis and block too.. may cause the knock sensor to retard timing on you!!
    so ya gonna have to cut into the tower huh.. any pics the clearance issues?
    Yeh sorry.. thatnks for reminding me!.. okay.. the Engine mount part numbers are 203-240-03-17, and 203-240-06-17.. but I really dont remember there being 2 different part numbers on the boxs.. these are the part numbers on my bill!.. they are correct though.
    it should look good i think..i'll make all the tanks up and have someone weld it for me,will work out quit cheap...but i think im way past the savings game lol
    after a quik phone call today its looking like i'll get her back on friday...so i'll post pics of the clearance issues then!...
    hey thanks for the part numbers...looks like the numbers are for the right and left sides...this is what my supplier told me...but the ones i got are the new design which uses the same part number for both sides...Hmmm...im yet to take one into MB...will let you know!

and yeh doing stuff to the mounts etc can cause some bad things,it will be a last resort if i do!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    it should look good i think..i'll make all the tanks up and have someone weld it for me,will work out quit cheap...but i think im way past the savings game lol
    after a quik phone call today its looking like i'll get her back on friday...so i'll post pics of the clearance issues then!...
    hey thanks for the part numbers...looks like the numbers are for the right and left sides...this is what my supplier told me...but the ones i got are the new design which uses the same part number for both sides...Hmmm...im yet to take one into MB...will let you know!

and yeh doing stuff to the mounts etc can cause some bad things,it will be a last resort if i do!
    that should be interesting.. cant wait to see the tanks! lol.. yeh you are definetly past the savings game!
    Woooo hoooooo!!... so ya get her back friday huh!.. post up pics of everything!!
    well the part numbers are for left and right sides.. but even when I installed the mounts in my car 3 months back.. the part numbers on the boxes were the same!! so I dont know!

Hey man,

in regards to engine mounts these guys may have something thats suitable. I was in there a little while ago and they have rubber dampers etc.

Hancock Industrial Ltd
    28 Hargreaves St, Ponsonby, Auckland 0-9-373 2760
    1999 Black C280 Sport

Originally posted by savant
    Hey man,

in regards to engine mounts these guys may have something thats suitable. I was in there a little while ago and they have rubber dampers etc.

Hancock Industrial Ltd
    28 Hargreaves St, Ponsonby, Auckland 0-9-373 2760
    hey thanks....i'll give them a call!,do they have rubber bushes(engine mount),or oil filled dampers?(engine dampers)

Paul

Probably more bushes I guess - I was just grabbing a stainless U bolt. Not sure if they'll have what you're after but doesn't hurt to try I guess
    1999 Black C280 Sport

OG Moderator
    Any progress yet?... or still at a stand still?

Any progress yet?... or still at a stand still?
    Yo,um na mang its painfully slow...have been so busy at work also!!!!,still havent had time to write back but will do for sure man!...
    turns out theres more work in doing the radiator tank than i first thought...,have cut the OEM one open and removed the float...just trying to incorperate the magnetic switch into the new one iv made...
    also as my engine harness is almost past it used-by im making a custom one that includes the four new sensors iv installed!...
    you'll see on my page iv constucted a 4" intake as well,just need to get it welded etc and buy the right filter!....

the most annoying thing at the moment is trying to find an easy way to stiffen up the engine mounts...looks like i will gut my old mounts and have them re-pored in a harder rubber with no oil.

Iv also just installed that Greddy multi switch device which will control the engine cooling,as well as dropping out the underside of the dash and re-wiring where all the sensors and boost control wires go as they were better positioned on the other side of the engine bay LOL

so its moving....but finding free time to do it is another story!
    but on a high note we have a contract on our house so will know next week if its all on......meanwhile all i can think about is Hyper Gunmetal 3 pce Sprint Iforged alloys,brembo GT 355mm kit with silver calipers and some side skirts LOOOOL

then you can sell me those wheels
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

rollinrealbig
    Paul - your spending like three times the amount then what your car originally costs. what do you get out of it? all that hard work and custom stuff youve been talking about .... just hope it all turns out good for you with plenty of good luck. why not get a new STI or Evo9 ? I bet all you 202ers are about to start a war agianst me for saying that but if you really think about it, compare it all - an 06' Evo vs. over-tuned 202 - which gets older by the day and older means more problems because we all know that MB isnt exactly the best car in reliability if you dont always maintain it, and maintinance is expensive. which would you rather have? its like taking a donkey and trying to make a horse out of it.

all three cars mentioned are known to be great cars but if you want racing - get an STI/Evo/Skyline if you can, if you want luxery - get a Lexus or MB, if you want a little bit of both - get a C55 i guess, it just seems hard to try to reverse these things - can you make a luxery car out of an Evo ? dont think so. can you make a race car out of a 202 ? pretty hard and alot of work/money, and in the end - well ... its still a 202. dont get me wrong - i love 202's, but seems like they wernt meant to be what we want out of them.

with all that said, I really dont understand you here Paul - but I just hope you wont be disappointed in your project! good luck to you man (no sarcasm here)

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    Paul - your spending like three times the amount then what your car originally costs. what do you get out of it? all that hard work and custom stuff youve been talking about .... just hope it all turns out good for you with plenty of good luck. why not get a new STI or Evo9 ? I bet all you 202ers are about to start a war agianst me for saying that but if you really think about it, compare it all - an 06' Evo vs. over-tuned 202 - which gets older by the day and older means more problems because we all know that MB isnt exactly the best car in reliability if you dont always maintain it, and maintinance is expensive. which would you rather have? its like taking a donkey and trying to make a horse out of it.

all three cars mentioned are known to be great cars but if you want racing - get an STI/Evo/Skyline if you can, if you want luxery - get a Lexus or MB, if you want a little bit of both - get a C55 i guess, it just seems hard to try to reverse these things - can you make a luxery car out of an Evo ? dont think so. can you make a race car out of a 202 ? pretty hard and alot of work/money, and in the end - well ... its still a 202. dont get me wrong - i love 202's, but seems like they wernt meant to be what we want out of them.

with all that said, I really dont understand you here Paul - but I just hope you wont be disappointed in your project! good luck to you man (no sarcasm here)
    BAN HIS ASS!!!!!!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody