Thread: Radio Muting every 5 seconds

Radio Muting every 5 seconds

I got in the car this morning (99 C230K) and the radio decides to mute for 1 second every 5 seconds. At first I thought it was the station I was listening to but then I tried another preset and it kept doing it. I hit CD and it said "track 1" then went back to radio. It did this on all modes/sources. When I got to work I turned off the car and then turned it back on and the radio played everything including CD and no muting.

Whats causing this? It happened twice now.

PS its a fibre optic generation (1st) MB system.

Grr all these little problems lately!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

check the fuses? if its a aftermarket head unit pull it out and make sure the wires on it are not loose and exposed. If it is, whip out the electrical tape and give it hell lol. If you have Bose, check the wires on the amp.
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

from what it sounds like is possible some of the button on the deck are worn...this will usually casue weird things to mute change stations etc etc....the button dampers under the buttons are worn usually...just replace it with a new deck its will be cheaper then trying to get the current deck fix if its not the buttons it sounds like the deck had its better days...looking at the wiring proubly noyt fix it since if it was a loose wire the deck wouldn't work if it was power or ground, or if it was a speaker wire the speaker it self would goin and out ....in all honestly the deck needs to be replaced

Well if it acts up more then the stock deck will be replaced possibly however its like new.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Go with aftermarket head unit, you'll have better sound plus you don't have to go scrambling in the trunk all the time to change a cd.

How much better sound will I gain with the Bose system?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

your gonna have to do a amp bypass for find a adptor for the bose. and it sounds way better, since you can do alot of tuning on a head unit

Driving home it sounded great and no muting. Thing is, I just added the factory cd changer brand new last yr and nothing else will operate it besides stock deck.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by benzonline
    How much better sound will I gain with the Bose system?
    With all honesty, the bose system isnt that great. its a lil nicer.. but for you to spend the money to upgrade the speakers and add the amp.. its really not worth it in the end for very minimal sound quality difference.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    With all honesty, the bose system isnt that great. its a lil nicer.. but for you to spend the money to upgrade the speakers and add the amp.. its really not worth it in the end for very minimal sound quality difference.
    The car has Bose from factory which is rare on a classic model but it says option code 810 Bose on the original window sticker I have for the car and I seen the amp. I was just wondering how better it would sound with the aftermarket deck.

I heard way better systems but with some tweaking and an Infinity Basslink tucked in the back she pumps clean and loud.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by benzonline
    The car has Bose from factory which is rare on a classic model but it says option code 810 Bose on the original window sticker I have for the car and I seen the amp. I was just wondering how better it would sound with the aftermarket deck.

I heard way better systems but with some tweaking and an Infinity Basslink tucked in the back she pumps clean and loud.
    Well that is rare!! I dont think youre going to do much better then you have there.. I think with the aftermarket deck you might have to bypass the stock amp.. but Im not too sure.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

OG Moderator
    The next time you get the muting, try switching over to the tape and then pressing the eject button. Open and close the flip down door once or twice. Maybe that f'ing "door not closed" sensor is starting to act up and thus doing the opening and closing will get it back into position? It is a long-shot, but you might want to give it a try.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

jayvee
    experienced this radio muting problem just today (i got the stock HU)... and i thought "what the f***!"... then the teleaid system acted up...

it started happening when my gf placed a small paper bag in the bottom part (beneath the upper tray) of the armrest console. then she noticed one of the button on the upper tray blinking. when i asked her to remove the thing she hid there, audio started working again.

i actually found that weird... i guess, she tripped a wire or something when she put the thing in there.

Hmm weird. It was something being disturbed in the fibre optic loop or some wiring on mine...been perfect since.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor