Thread: Help Car Wont Start!!!!!!!

Help Car Wont Start!!!!!!!

Car was working fine yesterday....I try to crank it and it wants to start but it doesnt!!! please help!!!!!

98 C280 sport

dead battery?

altenator?
    Diamonds & Wood

My merc http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9323

battery is fully charged, lights work everything is fine...the starter is workign fine, car almost started but quickly died, I think it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter...does anyone know where fuel pump is located, I will try to bang on it to see if its that...

the fuel filter is right next the the fuel pump under the car in the back near the right rear conrol arm. The filter is cylindar in shape
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Ok so i got it to start....i think I was tapping on the fuel pump...is it on the left side (facing front of car) and has two things cylinder shaped w/ a black hose coming out of it? It's wierd bc when i switch the key onto the on position before cranking it, i hear this wierd noise like something turning on...I cant really describe the noise but inside the car it's definately coming from the passenger side of the engine bay area, so that is why i tapped on what I thought to be the fuel pump...I want to try to fix this problem before it gets worse and cost more money.....

I'm going to try to use fuel system cleaner first to see if this helps...

anyone?

the big cylindar with tubes coming out is the fuel filter the pump is right next to it
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

Originally posted by zzDragonzz
    i hear this wierd noise like something turning on...

maybe you just hear the relay?
    744 CULT!

Mine did the start and die thing a while back; after I pulled the key and retried it seemed to work fine. I replaced the spark plugs, thinking maybe that would keep it from happening again. I had about 90,00 miles on the originals. 2000 C280.

you might have a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. i've never experienced it, but, i've read of similar occurrences.
    AMG or nothing.

The Modfather
    It is in 'P' right?

If its still in 'D' it wont start...

That said, you shouldnt be able to remove the key if its left in 'D'

EDIT ignore, didnt read whole thread

you just got this car and already giving you problems?
    Is the CEL on?

nope, nothing on the dash..yea so sad, just got car and having problems already, that was trhe main reason I stayed away from german cars for so long, exactly because of stuff like this, but I decided to give them a chance, and what do I get? lol...well the sound is coming from thepassenger side sounds like under the passenger dash airbag or engine bay around that area, sounds like a sort of thump noise everytime the key is in the 2nd position about to start...when i crank the engine off, I also hear a sound from the same area, could be the same thing making the previous noise but this time when i shut down the engine it makes a different type of noise, more like a springy noise...only way I can describe it sorry, but yea, I'm planning on trying to change the spark plugs today to see if that helps, I bought some bosch 2 way pregapped plugs, the 4 way was too expensive 6 bucks each and I needed 6 so thats almost 40 bucks for freaking plugs hahah, ut if anyone has encountered this problem do let me know...and it isnt the sensor because I already searched before posting and tried that already, back and froth from Park to drive to neutral, you name it I probably tried that combination.... Will update results

thanks guys

1998 c280 takes 12 plugs
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

Yeah, 12 plugs. Great fun doing the replacement too! Actually the hardest part is getting the wires back on, the tips of my thumbs were very sore for a while 17mm wrench works great to get the wires off. Pry from the top while applying upward pressure with your free hand to keep from breaking the plugs.

Moved to Repairs section.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

distributor, ignition coil.. check em all
    take the wires.. n have a spark plug connected to it... crank n check for spark on each wire n each plug

Spring Master
    nope, nothing on the dash..yea so sad, just got car and having problems already, that was trhe main reason I stayed away from german cars for so long, exactly because of stuff like this, but I decided to give them a chance, and what do I get?

thanks guys
    thats what happens when you buy used

Ok so i got it to start....i think I was tapping on the fuel pump...is it on the left side (facing front of car) and has two things cylinder shaped w/ a black hose coming out of it? It's wierd bc when i switch the key onto the on position before cranking it, i hear this wierd noise like something turning on...I cant really describe the noise but inside the car it's definately coming from the passenger side of the engine bay area, so that is why i tapped on what I thought to be the fuel pump...I want to try to fix this problem before it gets worse and cost more money.....

I'm going to try to use fuel system cleaner first to see if this helps...

anyone?
    My car is dead. wouldn't start for no reason. there's no crank at all. battery is good. But I noticed same noise when I tried to start the car. sorta a something is spinning but very low humming sound. wondering what it was.

my car is still parked on the street. need to tow tomorrow

Originally posted by yonjun
    My car is dead. wouldn't start for no reason. there's no crank at all. battery is good. But I noticed same noise when I tried to start the car. sorta a something is spinning but very low humming sound. wondering what it was.

my car is still parked on the street. need to tow tomorrow
    the sound you described is likely just the fuel pump (this is normal). however, you may be the one with a bad crank poisitioning sensor/starter. good luck!

Trust Me Mate - Its the L5 Sensor

been down that road mate a few months ago on my 2000 w202. it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor L5 all along. major prob with that part on w202.

Re: Trust Me Mate - Its the L5 Sensor

Originally posted by m8829
    been down that road mate a few months ago on my 2000 w202. it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor L5 all along. major prob with that part on w202.
    How much are these sensors?

L5 CPS Prices

Well I paid RM600 for it here in Malaysia. That works out to about USD150. I used my other car to bring the technician to my house and he got it replaced in 5 minutes. It is a 4-5 inch part with a sensor attached to it.

Where is the CPS located and how does one replace them.

Location of CPS

Its on the top right side of the engine bay. Very close to the firewall next to the car's computer box. It's a good 1 feet below so you need small and nimble hands to unsrew the bolts.