Thread: Power chip dyno

Power chip dyno

Lot of people have an opinion on the chips ...but no one seems to have any dyno readings...anyone?? before i drop 4 bills for the power chip
    http://www.inzrate.com

Not sure if you're willing to wait, but I'm going through my whole setup within a month or so, with the grand finale being an Upsolute reprogram.

I gurantee a custom reprogram will do you better than any plug and play application.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro
    2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor - W202 - SOLD
    1992 Toyota Supra Turbo - 2JZ-GTE, GT35R dbb - big project

I gurantee a custom reprogram will do you better than any plug and play application.
    How do you considered custom reprogram when your car is not on the dyno when they reprogram your ECU?

I think by providing dyno charts along with the AF wideband and reading from some OBD2 sensors theyc ould have a good idea of what to do

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

I think by providing dyno charts along with the AF wideband and reading from some OBD2 sensors theyc ould have a good idea of what to do
    Ok but this is ONLY the basic info. Most chip are based on stock car. Like by advance the timing and lean out the A/F ratio will increased power. But on a mods car, it require more then that. For example, how the engine run at partial throttle, WOT, under load, timing retard when boost increase..etc. I can tell you right now that all of you don't spend enough money for dyno to find out of this importances info.

I agree

anyway chip is the last of my mods.. after intake, cams, exhaust, headers, IC, etc.

And even before a chip I'll probably get a piggyback with a turbo

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Originally posted by Linh
    How do you considered custom reprogram when your car is not on the dyno when they reprogram your ECU?
    I'm taking a baseline dyno and a modified dyno as info for a chip program, and then after that dynoing again to confirm that positive changes were made. No, the programmer will not be there at the dyno with me.

I didn't say it was perfect. I just said that it's just better than a plug and play chip. How could you possibly argue that? A universal application add-on chip isn't going to be more accurate than that, no way no how.

Yes you can add a piggy back tuning device to do some on-dyno tuning, but this would still be more advantageous to do with a custom program as a base map versus a plug and play solution.

It seems like all of your replies to my posts want to do nothing but put me down. I'm out here trying things, getting on the dyno, and seeing what happens. The results of my trials over the next few weeks are here for the entire group to share. If I fail, then hey, we all learned something. Why be negative about it?

And the comment about "you all don't spend enough money at the dyno to find out of this importances info," what an assinine remark. You don't even know who you're talking to.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro

It seems like all of your replies to my posts want to do nothing but put me down.

I don't know why you think i'm putting you down. I just have a hard time understanding "custom reprogram" ECU when the car is not on the dyno. Here's why i'm a little negative about Upsolute chip. I've asked Lanny Richardson (Upsolute chip) try to custom made me a chip a few years back when my car was running lean after i installed kleemann pulley kit. After 4 differences Upsolute chip version and alot of money wasted on dyno, all 4 version made my problem worse. The last version cause the engine to misfired. I'm not saying that it won't work on your car but based on my experiences, it was not good at all. I've heard a couple C230K owner try it and like it but based on butt dyno.

I apologize for being defensive; I'm interested in getting the best results just like everyone else, even if it means avoiding the easy route PowerChip or even pricey Renntech, which have to be conservatively tuned to encompass the varying tolerances between M111's of different years, mileage, maintenance, etc.

From what it sounds like, results may vary. Slammed_C and Mark from MBWorld seem to be pretty content with their results. I highly appreciate hearing about your misfortune with Upsolute, and it's more beneficial to all of us trying to get the best setup than just simply implying that we should quit before we begin just because you've been there and done that.

Like I was saying, I'm not claiming it to be the fix-all, but I do believe it is a step in the right direction, and I'm willing to try and possibly fail, posting my dyno results along the way.

My baseline is leaner than I'd like, so I may even use an S-AFC2 or the like to be able to do some of my own tweaking in response to the wideband results. This may turn out to be the best setup, since you can compensate for real world situations, like hot days, crappy/better fuel, elevation, etc, and attempt to fine tune the curve.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro

Ray,

After you get your baseline dyno then do all the mods that you want to do on your car then have it custom chip made. But before you have the custom chip made, it all worth it if you pick a dyno shop (like Evosport) that can monitor your engine during dyno. Asked them to check A/F ratio or exhaust gas temp, intake temp and timing. I know on our engine with pulley kit upgrade, the factory ECU retarded timing too aggresively. As much as 5-6 degree timing retard instantly on the top end. If the chip can control this timing down to about 3 degree retard timing on top end, the car would make more power on the top end. This is just some info i found out about my 99' Slk 230 after pulley installed.

how much is it to get your car dynoed?

what is considered a fair price
    http://www.inzrate.com

This is a very good deal if anyone intereted....

Sat, Apr 23 - 10 am
    Huntington Beach

10 am - The House of Power (Slater/Gothard - 714-504-1847 - Josh)
    Hang out and get your car done or just watch everyone else. Discounted Dyno Power Pulls -
    $50 - 3 Dyno Pulls (normally $85)
    $75 - + Air Fuel Monitoring (normally $135)

12 - 2 pm - Central Park (just down the street, we'll bring our own BBQ and park it on the grass right next to where we will have our cars parked, so we can keep looking at them ). BYOC = Bring Your Own Cooler with hot dogs, turkey burgers, cheese slices, lettuce, onions, tomatos, buns, condiments, steaks, potato salad, chips, drinks (sorry no alcohol allowed), plastic ware, napkins, ice, whatever. BBQ, coals and lighter fluid will be provided. Maps will be provided beforehand at THOP.

Would like to see a HPS and KLEEMANN ..maybe even a RENNTECH car at the Event..To See the REAL Numbers and A/F

Ray,

After you get your baseline dyno then do all the mods that you want to do on your car then have it custom chip made. But before you have the custom chip made, it all worth it if you pick a dyno shop (like Evosport) that can monitor your engine during dyno. Asked them to check A/F ratio or exhaust gas temp, intake temp and timing. I know on our engine with pulley kit upgrade, the factory ECU retarded timing too aggresively. As much as 5-6 degree timing retard instantly on the top end. If the chip can control this timing down to about 3 degree retard timing on top end, the car would make more power on the top end. This is just some info i found out about my 99' Slk 230 after pulley installed.
    That aggressive of a timing retard by the ECU would seem to indicate a response to knock sensor. Retarding 3 degrees to prevent a 6 degree drop would in that case definitely be beneficial.

I'm curious if you can also just prevent the ping by cooling the charge with more fuel on top, as was the case with the 2JZ.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro

Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
    That aggressive of a timing retard by the ECU would seem to indicate a response to knock sensor. Retarding 3 degrees to prevent a 6 degree drop would in that case definitely be beneficial.

I'm curious if you can also just prevent the ping by cooling the charge with more fuel on top, as was the case with the 2JZ.

-Ray
    The 6 degree of retard timing was with the Kleemann pulley. That was one of the reason why ASP pulley only run 8.5 psi instead 10 psi like Kleemann pulley. My current ASP set-up is well tuned with 12.5:1 a/f ratio at WOT. Three thing that will cause Ping, bad gas, not enough fuel and too much timing. I think in the case of kleemann pulley, the factory timing was too much for the increased in boost. With the chip, you can control the timing to advance up to to a spec. without trick the knock sensor that cause the aggresive timing retard.

what piggy back system are you guys considering?

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    what piggy back system are you guys considering?
    Since I'm familiar with it and it would only be used to fine tune, I'd go with the A'PEXi Super AFC II.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro

Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
    Since I'm familiar with it and it would only be used to fine tune, I'd go with the A'PEXi Super AFC II.

-Ray
    Hmmmm interesting.I thought about using one on my 332i but just went with a chip upgrade.You can do but so much with an AFC on certain cars.It wrkd pretty well on my Talon though till I exceeded the HP it was good for via stck air mass.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

This is a very good deal if anyone intereted....

Sat, Apr 23 - 10 am
    Huntington Beach

10 am - The House of Power (Slater/Gothard - 714-504-1847 - Josh)
    Hang out and get your car done or just watch everyone else. Discounted Dyno Power Pulls -
    $50 - 3 Dyno Pulls (normally $85)
    $75 - + Air Fuel Monitoring (normally $135)

12 - 2 pm - Central Park (just down the street, we'll bring our own BBQ and park it on the grass right next to where we will have our cars parked, so we can keep looking at them ). BYOC = Bring Your Own Cooler with hot dogs, turkey burgers, cheese slices, lettuce, onions, tomatos, buns, condiments, steaks, potato salad, chips, drinks (sorry no alcohol allowed), plastic ware, napkins, ice, whatever. BBQ, coals and lighter fluid will be provided. Maps will be provided beforehand at THOP.

Would like to see a HPS and KLEEMANN ..maybe even a RENNTECH car at the Event..To See the REAL Numbers and A/F
    How much is the labor? Is this place better than Evosport?

Thank you,.....I'm a newbie & I'd like to add some chips to my C230 K ....... Is "House of Power" specialize in Mercedes?

Thanks

Julie~

House of power specializes in benzes. not only can they chip your car, they can also supercharge it. look for a member joshR, he is the owner of house of power.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG