Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lower temp thermostat

lower temp thermostat

so after work today, i took nenad's advice from a previous post and installed the 79 degree celcius thermostat while changing all my hoses and doin a complete coolant flush including the block! i used a 60/40 (water/antifreeze) mixture and a bottle of redline watter wetter. after completing the whole job, i took the car out for a nice quick hard drive to see what temps would be like. just barely over the 80 degree mark which is much better than 85-90 and even higher in hott summer days where it used to be.

by the way, stock thermostat is 87 degrees.

this made such a big difference and change...thanks nenad!!!!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

cool, I def. want to do this mod too...but I don;'t know where the freaking thermostat is located..need to get a repiar manual don't know where to get that either...where did you buy the new thermostat from?

Originally posted by zzDragonzz
    cool, I def. want to do this mod too...but I don;'t know where the freaking thermostat is located..need to get a repiar manual don't know where to get that either...where did you buy the new thermostat from?
    i bought it from http://www.autohausaz.com/

only cost me $12.95 plus shipping. if you type in your year and model it will give you the 87 degree thermostat. seach for it through there website with the part number - 1002000715

it is a 79 degree thermostat with the gasket made by Behr. what engine to you have (year/model)?

Jason
    Jason

jason, glad I could help. I dont know if you have seen my old sig for my 95 C280 before it was deleted by the mods, but you'd find quite a few interesting mods, mostly performance.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Originally posted by jnenad16
    jason, glad I could help. I dont know if you have seen my old sig for my 95 C280 before it was deleted by the mods, but you'd find quite a few interesting mods, mostly performance.

nenad
    yeah i read the sig a few times and got alot of ideas, LOL.
    thanks!

Jason
    Jason

how easy/hard was it to install? any links on how to do it?

I have a 98 c280 sport

now if you add a fan switch, you could easily take out the mech fan too
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

pro and cons?

Hi
    Im ready to order from the link your attached and copy your mod. My only question is will there be any negative side to this mode? will there be any draw back for have thermostat with lower temp? and what is the advantage of having lower temp thermostat? thank you in advance

there is no down side to having your engine run at 80-82c instead of 90-100, I also believe it will be better in the long run for the engine to keep it running a bit cooler, especially during the hot summers, or if you live in so cal hot well everyday, plus I think a plus to having lower temps would be to be able tor emove the mech fan which would have less stress on the engine as well as some weight removal, I know jeff has removed his fan to no ill affects.
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

smoke check?

Hi
    will using lower temp thermostat affect the emission control (I mean passing smoke check California) of my car? I have to do smoke check on my car very soon...so just wonder?

part number?

Hi
    is this part number (posted up here) works for my 1998 C230? thank you...Im ready to order now

procedure

can you please post the procedure to replace this part. I just placed an order....should be here in 2-3 days.
    Another question: I talk to cust service, and this part was supposed to use in other older MB, but nothing mention whether it will fit my car....any opinion on this. Thank you

this is a mod I will have to add to my list for sure!! just about every 190e ran hot like this.. it even reached the red on the temp gauge..but MB said it was normal... yeah right...

because someone on www.190revolition.net made a post asking our members when we had our first blown head gasket and how much it cost.. prices were $1500-2000 for a head gasket replacement and all the cars were under 100,000 miles with only a couple over 100k....

and about the Electric fan mod by adding a temp switch... I would do that if its your show\race car..but for a daily driver.. just leave it stock...
    taking a break from teh 202 ->

Thank to 1995C280 for taking time checking on the part number. Since his car is the 2.8 6 cyl, and my car is c230 with 4 cyl. Can anybody with the C230 engine already done this mod please let me know if they use the same thermostats, same part number? or do I have to call to cancel and order a different part number? thank you in advance

Re: procedure

Originally posted by nguyenphananh
    can you please post the procedure to replace this part. I just placed an order....should be here in 2-3 days.
    Another question: I talk to cust service, and this part was supposed to use in other older MB, but nothing mention whether it will fit my car....any opinion on this. Thank you
    you should cancel your order because your thermostat comes as an assembly with the housing, and the one you ordered is just a thermostat. plus, they are different in design as well. sorry.
    but you can still do the electric thermoswitch mod. it will keep running temp at a set temp.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

worng part !!

oh no...I think Jnenad16 is right...I look around on the internet and look likes the thermostate on my car is different than the 6cyl.... I dont think it will fit at all. Too bad they already sent my order out...will be here by tomorow . Anybody have any definitive info please cheap in.

Jnenad16: can you give me some link that have the instruction to do thermoswitch mod...and make sure it for my particular car . Thank you

electric thermoswitch is a universal mod, will work on any car with electric fans.
    this is the one I always use:
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...1471&langId=-1

as for the instructions, do a search as I explained it quite a few times before. also, ther are instructions on the package itself, though a bit different, it the same idea.
    here is the link of the instructions from another forum:
    http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/index...opic=14787&hl=

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

the positive lead out of the switch will go into the positive feed for the fans(black/white wire on most models), and the power supply for the switch is coming from a switched source, meaning its energized when the ignition key is on. the best source is the junction box on top of the driver's wheel well(rounded part of the body above the wheels inside the engine compartment). the box is black, has a flip cover, and there are 3 junctions, two bigger ones should be connected together, these are always hot, do not use these, and there should be a smaller one, which is switched. thats will be your switched source feeding the switch. for all wiring, use 14 gauge wire. now, I strongly recommend you install an inline fuse(30A) on this line to prevent damage to the swictch or the fans. you can get an inline fuse holder at any parts store, its no more than $10. now, from the switch, run a line to the fans' supply line. look for the fans' connector in front of the car, right above the high side ac service port(its between the driver's headlight and the fans). so right above it should be a connector with two wire, and if you remove the heat shring/wrapping around the wires, you should see one brown and one black/white wire(might be different color), the brown wire is the ground, and the other one is positive, this is the wire you want to splice into, trace this wire and find the best space you want to tap into. Id suggest a T-splice for this application, and make sure you insulate it well with some liquid electrical tape. now, when all is connected, start the car, and turn the switch all the way down, at some point the fans should turn on, if they do, everything is connected properly. if not, check the fuse, as well as all of the wires for loose connections. now that everything works, wait until the engine is warmed up and at operating temp(to the temp it gets while driving on the freeway). now, turn the switch knob slowly until the fans turn on, then turn on a bit more till they turn off. this setting will most likely be the desired point, but you can fine tune it if you like after a few testdrives.
    this is basically it in a nutshell. if you need any more help, let me know.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

switch sensore?

Thank Jnenad16 for the instruction. Before I start the mod, I have a little question: the switch has no temperature sensor, how does it know what's the engine temperature to turn on and off? also would this switch affect the operation of the car? for example, I notice the fan turn on when I turned on the heater (at hi), so having 2 input sources will burn the electric fan? thank you
    And one more thing, is it the switch (in your link) is the exact switch you used? thank again for your time

oh, I totally forgot about the sensor!
    the sensors needs to probe the radiator fins, so be extra careful with that. make sure the sensor goes inbetween the cores, but make sure you dont push it too far and penetrate the condenser.
    and yes, that is the switch I always use.

I just purchased a 96 E320, so my cooling system upgrade will include the thermostat(a must), and this time I'll try the variable speed controller switch, and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

sensor attachment

Thank Jnenad16. That was a great write up. I look up my car and found all the points and details you mentioned. Once more request: is it possible if you can post the pictures of how you attach/prob the sensor into the radiator. Also, where is the good place to store the switch? (picture will be great). The switch storage is not a big deal, but I prefere the job to look professional, clean. If you cant attach the pictures here, you can send them directly to my email at nguyenphananh@hotmail.com. Thank you jnenad16

here is the pic of the switch:
    http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...t&pagenumber=2

I'll try and take a pic of the probe sensor on my dad's car tomorrow.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

pictures

Thank you Jnenad16 for the pictures. I couldnt wait to see how the thing attach to the radiator. Also, I found the junction box you mention, but if you can take that picture also, that will be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance for you time

I dont have any 202 on hand, but I'll see if the 210 has it in the same place, and I'll take a pic of it. as for the sensor, I'll show you the one in my dad's car, it will look a something different on yours, but its the same principle.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Nenad
    so do you have the pictures? cant wait to work on the car again....