Thread: XM radio install

XM radio install

I was already to buy the car kit for my XM satalite when the installer told me if I used the FM modulator (hard wire-better sound) which hooks to the antenna feed, I would lose my local am and fm stations-non xm stations
    Anybody done this and find that to be true?
    BTW, I have a '99 C-Class with BOSE system and antenna in rear window.
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

yeah that's true to some degreee. you will lose the am stations, but as far as fm goes that's not true. you might not get as good as signal though.

yeah that's true to some degreee
    :dpress: son of a ......! I don't want to lose my local am stations.

I'm going to try the Roady XT. It has an FM transmitter and although I've heard that generally FM transmitters are unsatisfactory, I've read good reviews regarding the XT (not to be confused with the Roady 2-which is apparently a dud.)

Thanks for the feedback.
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

wtf, there is a hardwired FM modulation? Doesnt make much sense to me....
    2007 FJ Cuiser
    2003 E55 AMG

Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG
    wtf, there is a hardwired FM modulation? Doesnt make much sense to me....
    Yeah, that's how they did it in my 1995 C 280 and I had no trouble with FM or AM stations. Of course, I had it ripped out the next day cause the sound sucked. Get an aftermarket deck and hardwire the stupid thing.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

I purchased the Roady XT (XM's smallest dual purpose, home/auto receiver) and there is good news and bad news. The good news is the unit has great features and through the tape deck, the sound is OK. However, the FM modulator "through the air" won't do.
    If I keep the unit, it will be because a hard wire fm mod. works at least as well as the cassette input works.

New review

I thought the RoadyXT FM modulator signal was weak but, I was wrong. I must've screwed up the set up, or the stars were in the wrong postion last night (I jest) -at any rate, this little Roady XT receiver is pretty good with a powerful signal to the system even through the FM modulator (not hard-wired) Sound is clean, crisp and as good as the best FM station-perhaps a little better.
    I'll grant you that other options may be better (or perhaps you wouldn't even consider XM over Sirrius) but either way I'm giving a thumbs up to the XM Roady XT
    (never the Roady 2-it sucks from what I've heard)

I would say the best way to go is an after market unit with XM/Sirius built in, all you need is teh antenna and away you go with all you Am Fm station and CD's, maybe even an ipod. Best of all, soulds better then a modulator. The more times you modulate and the demodulate, teh crappyer it will sound. though Fm transmitter, a total of 4 changes(from the station, to the sat, to the Roady or whatever, to to the FM thing, then to the radio). After all that work, you get Ok sound at best, normaly quite shitty.
    Just get a head unit, makes like much easyer and less crap on you dash to bother you to.

Just get a head unit, makes like much easyer and less crap on you dash to bother you to.
    I don't disagree with you, except that I would have to buy another monthly subscription since I use the unit in the house as well. All the head units with built-in satallite reception that I've seen for XM, stay in the car.

Besides, even with all that modulating and demodulating you speak of, the sound of the Roady XT is certainly as good as a clear FM station; and I will make it even better.

This friday I'm going to have the small RoadyXT professionally installed (to get rid of all that crap on the dash-which drives me nuts) and with a hard wired FM mod to the radio. This provides an even better sound than the wireless FM mod.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post with the results of the install.

Oh, i missed that you wanted to take it in the house, sorry. But there are ways to still do it so you can take it inside. I hvae a jvc unit that has a CD changer input. There is an adapter to change it from a cd input to be able to use the 3.5mm headphone jack that most portable XM/Sirius units have and it also has power so you can only have it on when the radio is on. Thats the best Sound Quality your going to get without an integrated unit. But good luck with it and i hope you enjoy it.Something like this

Thats the best Sound Quality your going to get without an integrated unit.
    That's exactly what the salesman told me.
    I believe it, but for now I'm staying with the OEM BOSE head. My understandingl is that when I change the Bose head, the speakers have to go too; since they are only 2ohm, and not compatible with almost every other system on the market.

Originally posted by Polestar
    I believe it, but for now I'm staying with the OEM BOSE head. My understandingl is that when I change the Bose head, the speakers have to go too; since they are only 2ohm, and not compatible with almost every other system on the market.
    not true, i started out with an aftermarket headunit and kept the stock bose speakers.
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.

Originally posted by Polestar
    There are many threads explaining this both here and at MBWorld.org under the w202 C-class section.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

Thats good to know. Still, switching head units is just not high on my list of priorities. I appreciate the info.
    Having one subscription for home and auto
    appeals to me because I'm satisfied with the sound quality.