Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows & sunroof open with key?

Windows & sunroof open with key?

Today I had to use my spare keyless entry (the original to the car). I went to unlock the car, but held the unlock button down for a bit longer than normal. Then the windows & sunroof opened. I was like... WTF this isnt a VW. I see nothing about this in the owners manual, so I had no clue this was even doable on this car.

Is there a way to program my other key for it to do this? I absolutely love this feature, but cannot keep using the original key( it's messed up a bit).
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

they should all do that. You just point the key at the sensor on the door and hold it on unlock to open or lock to close. The door lock or unlock can operate from anywhere but the window feature has to have line of sight with the sensor.

I figured that was how they worked(as most cars are like that)
    But also on the keyless that I use on a daily. Unlocks all the doors at once, with no windows opening. With the original I have to hit the unlock twice. First is drivers door only, second is unlock all..hold down. Then the windows open.

I tried the double click with the one I am currently using & it doesnt work that way. It is an original mercedes keyless also. Not an ordered off Ebay knockoff.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

Weird, If I press the button twice, I open the trunk. Mine is a 96.

I have a seperate button for the trunk. One for lock, one for unlock & the trunk button. And the slide out key on the side.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

Originally posted by Espresso
    I have a seperate button for the trunk. One for lock, one for unlock & the trunk button. And the slide out key on the side.
    I only have one button. Press once to lock, once to unlock, twice to open the trunk, and I've only tried leaving it pressed to close all windows and sunroof, but not to open them. I'll try tomorrow.

OG Moderator
    I don't remember if you are able to do it yourself or if you have to take it to a dealer, but the manual for your 2000 describes what steps need to be taken to switch your key so that one press opens the driver door and two presses opens all door OR you can change it so that one press of the key always opens all doors.

Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Just out of curiosity, if your are standing directly to the side of your car and have the remote pointed at the door's IR/radio receptor, how far back can you be from your car and still get your key to work (referring to locking/unlocking)? I think I can be around 30 feet max. Sometimes the remote wants me to be a bit closer.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

My owners manual mentions nothing of how to program the remotes or what they do.

I've had it the furthest away about 6 car parking spaces wide(not empty spots so the remote wasnt pointing directly at the car, but towards it). I dont have to point the remote at the car for it to lock/unlock or windows down. With the original remote I can be inside the house & put the windows down. The one I use on a daily basis is the same, but like stated I cannot put the windows down with it.

I always wondered what the little squares on the handles were for.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

OG Moderator
    Wow. That is a lot farther then my remotes will work. I wonder if all three remotes' batteries are getting low.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

you can change between the following with a series of button presses.

1 press unlocks all doors

OR

1 press unlocks drivers door, 2nd unlocks all remaining doors

I think you hold the lock buttons for 6 seconds or something, i dunno, but its in my manual.
    Diamonds & Wood

My merc http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9323

you guys are referring to global and selective unlocking. global unlocks all doors with one push of the button while selective unlocks the drivers door and the gas cap first then all the rest with another push of the button. to change between the two, simply press and hold the lock and unlock button at the same time. hold them down for about 5 seconds or until the little LED light flashes. that's all there is to it. you need to have a smart key for this function to work. it won't work on the older keys with the flip out blade!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

1995c280
    f'ing sweet. I just did that & now my regular key does it. Been outside playing with it
    Now I can get out, lock the car & it shuts all the windows too. I dont have to sit in the car & hit all the buttons now. I LOVE IT.
    Thank You!!
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

My key only closes the windows... But it does pop the trunk too.. would be cool if the windows opened.. (i tried didnt work)
    1997 C280 Sport

Its the sweetest feature ever!! My key has one button. Press it once and everything unlocks, press it twice fast and the trunk pops. Hold it down to lock and the windows roll up and the sunroof closes. It also works if you put the key in the lock and turn right and hold for three seconds. Everything is explained in my manual and its a 96 for c220, c280 and c36.

THIS IS SO COOL!!! insane feature, had the car since 1998 and never knew about it thanks again club202
    My Car - http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9219&perpage=15&pagenum ber=4

Custom Painted, Shaved Door handles, Chrome 20\'s, Slammed, Soundstream Stereo, Avantgarde Grill,

Team Illusiv - Street to Elite - Australia\'s Premier online Car Show team.

i first discovered it when my friend with a w210 did it infront of me..i got had just bought the car and i was yet to try it when my key sadly had a fatefull meeting with my pool....so i am yet to get another key..and i am yet to try it...do the windows open and close on one touch in 98 c230's..cause they do it in the spare key
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

OG Moderator
    If your sunroof doesn't close but your windows do via the remote, maybe your sunroof just needs to be reset. I had this problem after I disconnected my battery. After going through the sunroof reset procedure, the sunroof once again started opening and closing with the remote. You might give it a try.

I think the best feature is the opening of the windows and sunroof. With a black car and living in the hot South, it is awesome to be able to "vent" the car before you get into it after it has been sitting out in the hot sun.

Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

the newer cars like the 203, 220, 211, 215, 230, etc have a feature called tunnel feature. while driving if you hold the recirculating button or the activated charcoal filter button for about 5 secs. while driving all the windows and the sunroof close together. then hold it again and they all open to exactly where they were previously open to. alot easier than closing each one with each button. most ppl never heard about this before though!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

I was too lasy to read, but on a 96 if you hold down lock for 3+ seconds and then instantly unlock it will roll down all the windows, but not open the sunroof

Originally posted by RacerXofFL
    I was too lasy to read, but on a 96 if you hold down lock for 3+ seconds and then instantly unlock it will roll down all the windows, but not open the sunroof
    I tried holding the unlock button for a long time but the windows wont open!
    1997 C280 Sport

no, unlock the car, relock it and hold it until the convience feature kicks in 3-5 seconds (red flashing) INSTANTLY RE CLICK the remote once and hold (green flashing), windows go down... no sunroof tho. if you let off the unlock the windows stop where you let go. I norm put mine down bout half way...

Originally posted by RacerXofFL
    no, unlock the car, relock it and hold it until the convience feature kicks in 3-5 seconds (red flashing) INSTANTLY RE CLICK the remote once and hold (green flashing), windows go down... no sunroof tho. if you let off the unlock the windows stop where you let go. I norm put mine down bout half way...
    Worked great! Thanks! Learned something cool today!
    1997 C280 Sport

Yea, as you see I live in FL this is a great feature after the car bakes in the sun...

i have a smart key... lock button, unlock, and trunk. I'll have to try the tunnel feature. Kinda crazy to find new tricks with your car

I heard audis have cool hidden features like if you hit certain buttons in certain orders you can get a graphic eq to show up on the stereo screen.