Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kompressor or clutch

OG Moderator
    Glad to hear you had success. Thanks for sharing the information.

So at 6 hrs the swap out is a doable one day job for a first-timer? That was just swapping out the SC with a clutch already attached and changing the tensioner plus two pulleys on the SC side of the engine. Then you changed out the main accessory belt and tensioner, right?

I am right that you both have 2000 models and the tensioner for the main serpentine has the shock? My 99 230K did not have the shock on the main belt side. Haven't looked closely at the tensioner for the SC but I can't remember seeing a shock over there.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

I believe 6hrs is a very safe duration. It took me about 3-4 hours to remove the SC, first time. But I believe the R&R will be faster on the SC but changing the pulleys and the belts will probably take me longer as I would be extra careful in the process. I will post pictures of everything I do in a few days.

Car sounds good. I dont have that metallic clicking noise after the SC clutch engages anymore. The car feels a lot smoother during hard acceleration and idling. Best of all, there is absulutely no hesitation what so ever after the SC kicks in.

The old SC had play in the pulley bearings and in the SC bearings as well. When I turned the clutch I could hear a little grinding as opposed to all air from the new SC when I turned that one. Additinally, there were small metal particles inside the old SC. I didnt check the oil on the old one but Im sure it needed changing.

All in all Im glad I didnt wait until my SC was toast. With all new pulleys and belts, other than the waterpump, I should have a trouble free front end for a while. I did notice there is a little play (I mean a little) in the fan clutch. The fan clutch along with a tranny oil change should allow me to reach 150,000 miles pretty easily. I now have 75,000 and this is what I have done or will perform within the next few weeks:

New spark plugs
    Oil Change
    Air Filter
    Cabin Filter
    Supercharger w/ new gaskets
    3 pulleys
    2 belts
    Fan Clutch (next week)
    tensioner shock
    steering shock
    fuel filter
    headlight bulbs (Osram Silverstar)
    Foglight bulbs (Hella Optilux Xenon yellows)
    Deck (Kenwood X689)
    Tranny Oil/Gasket/Filter (next week)

I havent even owned it for 2 months. I like it much more than the 98 I gave my dad when I purchased this one.

RESOLVED

Here is a shot of the two old pulleys from the supercharger side.

Close up of the larger tension pulley for the other accessories like power steering and A/C.

Close up of the rider pulley. R&R on the pulleys was easier than I thought, removed the cover with a flat head driver and used a star bit to remove the pulley.

Close up of the tension pulley, after removing the cover, a hex nut was revealed which I loosened with a deep socket.

Wider shot.

Here is the new pulley installed.

Here are both new pulleys installed. Note, the tension pulley had noticeable play in it. It was a good idea to replace it.

Similar procedure to get the Drive Belt tension pulley off removed the plastic cover and loosened the hex nut.

Wider shot, with the pulley removed, and also notice that the shock has also been disconnected from the top.

New shock installed.

New pulley installed with new belt.

Here is the supercharger that I bought from eBay. $440 Shipped.

I took me about 2 hours to figure out how to remove the SC with the inlet pipe attached. It only took 2 minutes to put it back in place.

Here is the outlet installed. I also installed a new gasket here.

The air box back in place. Im almost done!!!!!!

Getting closer!!

Shot of the new (used) SC, and the new tension and rider pulleys.

Shot of new belt installed. Note of caution. I actually installed the belt wrong the first time, and when I started the car it shredded to pieces. I bought a replacement belt with those groves built into it.

This entire project could not have been possible without the help of the people who replied to my questions. This was a relatively involved job, but looking back at it, it was relatively easy. The only pain I have is in my back from bending over the car.

Special thanks to emann34 for the parts list and other guidance.

Parts List, and other expenses.

Just a note that the original MB quote was $3200 for new supercharger.

I have also sold my damaged SC for $250 on ebay.

Total time invested to install everything was about 6.5 hours. I started working on it at around 1200 am and finished at about 530 in the morning.

Filling the coolant back up was a breeze, unlike my 190e 2.6 where you have to take of a head bolt to let off air.

Road test was very pleasing. The car is so quite now that at the first stop light I thought the engine had turned off, I couldn't feel the slightest vibration.

The SC that I bought from ebay apparently came from a car with 50K miles on it. It seemed relatively clean and in good shape compared to mine.

There was no hesitation in acceleration. Although I promised the car that I would take it easy on the gas pedal from now on.

Hope this helps someone...

Again appreciate the help from everyone very much, I felt like I wasn't doing this on my own and that was probably the reason for everything turning out this well.

Originally posted by emann34
    Im replacing the supercharger myself. I purchased a rebuilt supercharger from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW

It already includes the cluth and it was all only $460 shipped. A 2 year part warranty is included. Clutch has two critical components, the bearings and the coil. The coil doesnt fail, its the bearings. Like all bearings after they wear there is excessive play, causing the pulley to wobble and stress the coil under load. On these rebuilt units, the coil is tested (it either works or it doesnt) and new bearings are put in.

This guy has been good to deal with. My clutch is making a metallic ticking noise that I dont like so I might as well replace the whole unit. My care has 75,000 miles.

Im tackling the job myself as it does not look complicated at all, its a bolt on application. I purchased all new pulleys (2 in the supercharger area and one in the serpentine belt area), 2 new belts, and the supercharger gaskets from oempartsdirect.com.

Ive been taking crap apart while the parts arrive and its pretty basic stuff. Hardes part is working around the small area.
    If i were to replace my S/C with with this rebuilt one n the link u gave wuld i see and major benfit? Any HP gain? Or would i have to get a bigger better S/C to get that? Thanks.
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

Well I am assuming that a rebuilt SC will not be as "good" as a brand new one. I too searched the net to find an aftermarket SC. But in the end what mattered more was the time, which I didn't have to research and take a chance in installing an after market product that was potentially untested on my car.

I found no articles online about after market SC swaps. I'm just glad its all over now.

Regarding HP: I didn't notice a considerable difference. I guess the only way would to have the car dyno tested.