Thread: Scanner??

Scanner??

Hey guys. Where can I get my hands on one of these scanners you guys are always using to get the malfunction codes? How does this work, I mean where does it plug into? Thanks
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

basically these scanners can range from 80 to 2100 dollars. the basic ones pretty much just so error codes from your car and some more expensive ones will even allow you to turn off error lights like check engine , srs etc . a guy at my work just bought a ethos from snap on and this thing cost about 1800.00 and this does everything. this will even reset volvo cars which i heard was almost impossible. basically these scanners usually from 96 on which is the year the cars started using obd2 systems and these scanner plug into them and show errors and why the errors are there. some will like i said reset some engine lights etc. so unless you are going to use these scanners for a job dont buy these cheese ball ones you see like for 30 to 100 dollars . all they will do is scan the car and show the error code.
    these scanners can be bought pretty much any where from sears to ebay but again unless you are going to use these its not really worth the investment because the scanners like ethos cost over 1k . the scanner that was in the forums runs about 140.00 bucks
    here is a site where i found one and maybe will describe it better
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Actro...spagenameZWDVW
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

OG Moderator
    You have to be careful because many of the mid level ones that claim to monitor live data will not work with Mercedes.

Another thing is that Mercedes does not follow the standard table for interpreting codes. Most are the same but there are some that are not. That is why you see some readers listed that supposedly are specifically for Mercedes. In reality, they just provide you with an alternate printout. You can get this online though, so really any basic reader will give you the codes and you just use the Mercedes specific table of what the codes mean.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Re: Scanner??

Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
    How does this work, I mean where does it plug into? Thanks
    It plugs into a port which is located under the steering wheel
    1995 C280

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Actr...sspagenameZWDVW

So would you guys recomend this one? Will it work will Cedes? I think I should invest in one of these scanners cause I dont want to have to bring it to the shop everytime something is wrong. Cause I think I can do alot of the repairs with yours guys' advice and my dad's help. Thanks
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

In Charge
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

As I can read and clear the codes on my '99 via the Climate Control, I haven't compared the various models suggested above, but here are a couple more FYI. Sears has a couple on a Craftsman Club sale 2/23 - 3/1/2008:
    Innova 1003 ODB2 Code Reader #20895 Reg. 129.99, Member Price $99.99
    Actron CP9175 OBD II AutoScanner #20897 Reg. 129.99 (previously $179.99), Member Price $99.99.
    Just go to Sears.com and Search either # for the details.
    (Craftsman Club is a great way to save a bundle off of even sale prices! I just saved $169 off of $364.94 of tools using my Craftsman Club card yesterday!!)
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!