Thread: Can't put fuel in my car!

Can't put fuel in my car!

My car has this strange and VERY anoying problem of not being able to put gas in it.

I put the pump on the slowest automatic setting and after about 1-3 gallons it clicks off like the tank is full. If I want to put more in, I have to manually squeeze the pump ever so slighly so fuel can trickle in. For a full tank, it would take about 15 minutes.

This happens about 50% of the time when I fill up. Other times, it just goes in fine.

What can possibly be happening?

(Car is a 1999 C43 AMG)
    -Brandon Drew-
    Founder: http://www.brewcitymuscle.com
    Where the fastest in Wisconsin come to play.

the vapor return on the pump isn't sealing properly. Don't know if it's really anything you can fix, I just know that from time to time, both the 210 and 208 run into this.

When this happens to me, I simply don't use the automatic pump tab. Hold down the handle manually, and also adjust the attack angle of the pump to be higher than usual. This usually allows for a good run
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Happens to me every few months. Try pulling the pump farther out. Works for me.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

you silly ppl pumping your own gas...
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
    You silly people, living in New Jersey by choice!
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

with the prices the way they are I shouldn't have to.

Serious...I pay like $2.90 a gallon in the Bay Area.

In thr right rear wheelwell there is a fuel expansion tank that incorporates the fuel filler neck and is for vapor recovery before the fuel flows down to the tank. These often get plugged and don't vent causing filling problems exactly as you described. We replace them all the time, it's very common on 202's and 208's. They are very simple to replace, just remove the inner fender plastic and a few hoses. It takes about an hour.

It happens to me once in a while. usually on a pump that does not have the rubber flap/cone.
    I found a pump near my house that never give me that problem. So I just stick to that place.

Originally posted by benzaddict
    In thr right rear wheelwell there is a fuel expansion tank that incorporates the fuel filler neck and is for vapor recovery before the fuel flows down to the tank. These often get plugged and don't vent causing filling problems exactly as you described. We replace them all the time, it's very common on 202's and 208's. They are very simple to replace, just remove the inner fender plastic and a few hoses. It takes about an hour.
    I have the exact same problem too.

And thanks for this info benzaddict. This may be what a lot of us need to correct this nagging issue!

Originally posted by benzaddict
    Am planning to pass on my car to my wife and wouldnt want her to have difficulty filling the tank. It has been annoying but learned to live with it.
    By chance would anyone know of exact part numbers of the parts that need replacing to eliminate this problem? TIA

EDIT: is this all what I need ? sold by autohausAZ
    Mercedes (OE)
    Fuel Tank Filler Neck; Inlet Restrictor with White Nylon Flap
    1 per car. Mercedes (OE)

C55 Charter Member
    I have a friend who has a friend who owns the gas station where the accident happened and people died that caused that "no self service" law to be passed.

mine does that sometimes too. i usually just move to the next pump or i pull the pump out a little bit to allow the vapor to vent.
    1997 C280
    1999 C43

Originally posted by Nitrous911
    Serious...I pay like $2.90 a gallon in the Bay Area.
    Where in Bay Area are you located? Damn your gas is cheap. I don't see any gas station selling that price.

Originally posted by JRE320
    Where in Bay Area are you located? Damn your gas is cheap. I don't see any gas station selling that price.

Well back when I said that it was April 2005, so it has gone up quite a bit since then.

i see this issue sometimes at a gas station i always go to and i find that it depends on the pump your using . are you going to the same pump or gas station? if so try changing or avoid that pump that does that?
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

Yea this happens to me almost every time I pump gas. I just adjust the angle of the gas pump and I hold it manually. Lol I didnt know everyone had this problem. Weird...
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

When I let station attendants pump gas into my previous non-Benz autos, it amazed me at how many scratches were on the rear fender around the filler door because they weren't paying attention with the nozzle!
    So now I fill my own, thank you.

Looks like there are different versions of the Expansion Tank (104 in the listing):
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

So , Am I seeing the picture right? That the expansion tank includes the filler neck, as benzaddict also indicated.

99 c280

Bringing back up an old thread.
    Can anyone provide a part number on what to replace to fix this re-fueling annoyance? thanks

For those who haven't yet replaced the fuel expansion tank, if you simply twist the handle to one side or the other this fixes the issue and works every time for me. Pulling the handle out is risky as you could spill fuel on your paint or yourself.

The advantage to this method is that you don't have to remain at the pump like you would if you were lifting the handle up.
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S