Thread: doors holding water

doors holding water

We've been having mega rain in TN. I have a problem with my 202 where after every time it rains and the next day I open any of the doors, water spills out of the bottom of the door. Not sure how it is sitting there.I've noticed if I don't open the door it will just sit there, even for an extended period of time. Anyone else have this problem. It seems to be with all the doors now.
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

Design defect personally I think what it is . I'm fixing rust on the drivers door on the bottom cause it's a lovely moisture trap!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Smile

basically you're saying this is a desert car !! :-)
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

Pure desert car! So many moisture traps in Benzes I noticed particularly the older designed boxy ones like the 202s.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Did you ever figure out where it's coming from and where the water is sitting?
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

OG Moderator
    Mine does this too. I guess you could remove the rubber strip along the bottom but that would probably cause other problems. I did notice that the outer sill is plastic (at least on the 99). Not sure if that is better than metal IF is it still trapping water below.

I thinking this occurs due to the seals around the top of the door getting out of shape just enough. Alternatively, or in combination, I am guessing some water is getting around the window glass seal at the base of the window. Then the water is trapped by the lower seals.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

xvvz is correct...

When it rains, water can easily leak past the window seals and into the internal door space. The water inside the door then empties via the door drains.

First of all you should replace the window seals to minimize the water leaking into the doors and secondly ensure the door water drain holes are kept clear so that water will not accumulate.

Thanks guys. i'm definitely going to look at making sure the door drains are clear. can't really afford new seals right now since my ac compressor went out.

Any idea how much the door seals are?
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

You don't want "door" seals...they are for keeping water out of the cabin. You want "window seals" which prevent water leaking into the internal door space. I think you would only be able to get window seals from Mercedes. But a Window Tint installation company may be able to fit generic seals much cheaper.

If you are short of cash, just forget the seals and make sure the drains in the bottom of your doors are clear and clean. Open all your doors after rain to let any accumulated water escape.