Thread: Wheel arch rim rust protection covers?

Angry Wheel arch rim rust protection covers?

Can anyone help? I've just finished treating the surface rust on the inside lip of the wheel arch on all 4 wings. Luckily it hadn't spread from the turned-under lip of the wing around the wheel arch (only visible when looking up with the wheel off). It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), but now looks perfect. I've seen protective plastic strips on Lexus LS400 which slide over this vulnerable edge covering it completely and protect it from the stones etc which get thrown at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes them, or can I adapt some, to fit a W202? I've had this car from new (1998) and don't want to have to go through this again (the rest of the body is rust-free). Thanks!

Re: Wheel arch rim rust protection covers?

Originally posted by C280estateguy
    Can anyone help? I've just finished treating the surface rust on the inside lip of the wheel arch on all 4 wings. Luckily it hadn't spread from the turned-under lip of the wing around the wheel arch (only visible when looking up with the wheel off). It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), but now looks perfect. I've seen protective plastic strips on Lexus LS400 which slide over this vulnerable edge covering it completely and protect it from the stones etc which get thrown at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes them, or can I adapt some, to fit a W202? I've had this car from new (1998) and don't want to have to go through this again (the rest of the body is rust-free). Thanks!
    well buddy!
    putting these plastic strips on the wheelarch edges will eventually make the car to rust even more, if there is no drain holes for ventilation!
    salt on roads during winta and fine particles of sand and gravel will get a rustnest full of crap inside!
    You remember back in the 70's when chrome strips were placed on S-classe Mercedes 116 as an extra option, it looked nice and pimp but a rusttrap for wheelarches!
    Edges on wheelarches corroded inside these strips!

Important to remove all the cancer, repaint, then cover it with thick sticky dinitrol underbody wax!

c-klasse 202 is a rustbucket if not treated right!
    same with 210 E-klasse!

Thanks kowaski, I hear what you say, and the dinitrol underbody wax is one route I was contemplating. But what about those Lexuses (Lexi?). I saw 2 mid-90's LS400s (125-150k miles) recently and the black plastic strips covering the wheel arch inner rims/edges seemed to be doing a pretty good job, with no corrosion/paint damage whatsoever. If I slipped them on immediately after coating the rims with fresh dinitrol, so they were sealed from within, there shouldn't be a "rusting-under" problem should there? But where could I find these protective strips? Do MB protect top-end models with them?

Thanks kowaski, I hear what you say, and the dinitrol underbody wax is one route I was contemplating. But what about those Lexuses (Lexi?). I saw 2 mid-90's LS400s (125-150k miles) recently and the black plastic strips covering the wheel arch inner rims/edges seemed to be doing a pretty good job, with no corrosion/paint damage whatsoever. If I slipped them on immediately after coating the rims with fresh dinitrol, so they were sealed from within, there shouldn't be a "rusting-under" problem should there? But where could I find these protective strips? Do MB protect top-end models with them?
    hey buddy.
    I don't think MB had these strips for sale!
    If there is any aftermarket companies that makes them, then maybe?
    Here in Sweden we have a weird brand named SAAB, this car is very popular among educated people in UK, however I never liked SAAB in fact I live in SAAB city, there is a lot of turbulence now if GM is going to let SAAB commit suicide or not now that KOENIGSEGG backed out from buying SAAB!

However older SAAB cars had these black plastic strips on wheelarches back in the 80's on theit 900-9000 models!
    Well they got pretty rusty in between arch and plastic strip!
    It's a good thought having this strip because of gravel and sand particles chipping the paint, but you get rust inside after a few years when your car gets older!
    Put a thick dinitrol tarmac based wax and when you wash your car hose it thoroughly in the wheel arches so all dirt falls off!

I don't drive my C43 at winter so hopefully I don't have to worry about rust yet!
    These cars dies an early rust death in sweden, especially the 210 e-class!
    Garbage MB's the 210's

Thanks Kowalski, I note what you say about the SAAB rusty bits. But I'm willing to try some plastic guards on top of a thick coating of dinitrol, and then plaster some more dinitrol on top of the guard in the upper/hidden edge where the crap collects. That should cover both problems, shouldn't it? I don't want to have to clean up there ever again (I got covered in muck).

I've found these E-Tech Wheel Arch Protectors, for example:http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/...neNo=56061000. (this link may not work) Also there's a Lexus LS400 being broken not far away I might try to get the guards off.

John
    ps: though I never wanted one, I'll be sorry to see SAAB go. We occasionally see them in the UK, generally driven by intense bespectacled bearded types hunched over the wheel, with sandals and socks . The Turbo was exciting back in the dark ages. Hey, with no more ABBA and no more SAAB, that only leaves Sweden with the sexy nurses then?

Thanks Kowalski, I note what you say about the SAAB rusty bits. But I'm willing to try some plastic guards on top of a thick coating of dinitrol, and then plaster some more dinitrol on top of the guard in the upper/hidden edge where the crap collects. That should cover both problems, shouldn't it? I don't want to have to clean up there ever again (I got covered in muck).

I've found these E-Tech Wheel Arch Protectors, for example:http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/...neNo=56061000. (this link may not work) Also there's a Lexus LS400 being broken not far away I might try to get the guards off.

John
    ps: though I never wanted one, I'll be sorry to see SAAB go. We occasionally see them in the UK, generally driven by intense bespectacled bearded types hunched over the wheel, with sandals and socks . The Turbo was exciting back in the dark ages. Hey, with no more ABBA and no more SAAB, that only leaves Sweden with the sexy nurses then?
    Sweden is only good for blonde airhead golddigging nymphos!
    and the swedish sin, other than that it's a fucked up country today! going :banana:! I'm fed up living here!
    Good luck with the aftermarket protectors!
    I thought that only dentists and doctors drove SAAB 900 TURBO in UK!
    These sofisticated and educated people liked odd and strange innovations SAAB cars had to offer!
    Like the ignition key between the seats and the crappy front wheel drive!
    Just like NAIM AUDIO cd's pulling out the cd tray manually by your fingers!
    I like NAIM the best audio set up I've ever had!
    Candy for your ears that's the best description for real HIFI!

oops my mistake

"blonde airhead golddigging nymphos" sound good to me.

"blonde airhead golddigging nymphos" sound good to me.
    swedens most famous slut with gorgeous b.j. lips is Victoria Silverstedt!
    this airhead bombshell is a knockout!
    she came far the bed way, sleeping her way to the top!
    A pussy can go far if it's tuned properly!
    she is a real golddigger,
    so is Paul Ankas swedish/polack wife Anna Anka!
    Eveybody in sweden hates hear coz of her biage attitude!
    These cunts are only bred to f---their way to the top!
    GGGGOLDIGGERS!

I guess most of the women are like this!

We seem to have strayed somewhat from rusty wheel arches...