Thread: Engine "Tapping" when cold - C43

Engine "Tapping" when cold - C43

Hey guys. Love the idea of the forum being back!

I store my C43 for winter, fresh oil etc and take it out occasionally and on long not short drives. Recently I noticed as the weather got cold and throughout the winter if I took it out on nice days, id fire it up on cold start, starts perfectly but the engine would be making a tapping valve type sound - almost like a knock/tap. This WOULD go away after about 5 mins of idling - you can actually hear it faintly dissapearing and would not be tapping or knocking while driving.

At first I thought, ok maybe because it sits for several weeks. Then 2 days later id turn it on and same thing. Tapping/knocking. The oil I use is Mobil 0W40.

Is this normal?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Cool

To answer your question, perhaps you should also be asking if 0W40 is the right oil to use during extremely cold winters.

I've been away from Canada for such a long time that I forgot that oil thickness used during winter season is different during warm/summer season.

Do you have a block heater on that C43?

I too am glad this forum has been brought back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by benzonline View Post
    Hey guys. Love the idea of the forum being back!

The oil I use is Mobil 0W40.

Is this normal?

0W40 is apparently adequate oil as this is also the thinnest oil you can find on the market which would make for better flow.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

In Charge
    http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1052

I did a quick Search and came up with these Threads. A few of them touch on a solenoid, you might want to read those. They are located towards the end of the Search list.

I do not recall if my car does the same. Next time I fire her up, I'll listen.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

ok thanks! Gonna start driving it more often to -daily in the next month so Im going to see if it clears up.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

In Charge
    Forgot to follow up: my car does not have any unusual tapping sound. If it does, then I am not aware of it.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Narrowed it down to cold weather, prolonged sitting. Had the car out all day yesterday, did the tapping at initial startup at cold and never again. Ask a few mechanically inclined friends who said it is fine as it takes a while for the oil pressure to get to the top of the valves.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

have you asked Saaboteur at MBworld to see if gets the same kind of symptoms?
    Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Narrowed it down to cold weather, prolonged sitting. Had the car out all day yesterday, did the tapping at initial startup at cold and never again. Ask a few mechanically inclined friends who said it is fine as it takes a while for the oil pressure to get to the top of the valves.

I agree on that. I question that tapping with my mechanic and he also said the same thing.

Id be tapping too if I had to sit in a cold garage all winter LOL
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor