Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actual Weight of C43?

It does weigh a lot more than a C230K when its stock. Some 250 lbs more. But don't forget your 4 banger has an iron cylinder block and that adds some weight.

I was saying that you can remove 200 lbs off your car too if you want to.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

*Im talking stock weight, no mods.*

But I still think that a c43 engine will weigh out a 230k by a lot more than 250lbs....we shouldnt even be in the same lbs ranges..

basically what im saying, if my 230k is listed at 3,200lbs, im thinking the c43 is at least 3,600-4,000lbs.

The engine blocks may not weigh that much different. Cast iron has a Specific gravity of around 7.1 while cast aluminum has a SpG of around 2.7. So 1 cubic foot of iron is 443 lbs while 1 cubic foot of alum is 168 pounds.

But MB USA lists the weight of a C43 at 3448 lbs if I recall. I don't know what they list for a wieght on the C230K.

You should go have your car weighed at some scales. Try a Gravel Mining company in your area. They would most likely do it for free and they have lots of certified scales.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

In Charge
    I've never seen a reporting of the C43 weight more than 3500lbs, actually no mre than 3450lbs.

The weights between the two cars are relatively close, alot closer than you may think.

edit: this is what MBUSA claims about the weight of the C43
    Click me

Also, isnt the actual weight of the car located somewhere on the stickers/stamps, like on the door jam or engine bay?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by c230kompresssed
    *Im talking stock weight, no mods.*

But I still think that a c43 engine will weigh out a 230k by a lot more than 250lbs....we shouldnt even be in the same lbs ranges..

basically what im saying, if my 230k is listed at 3,200lbs, im thinking the c43 is at least 3,600-4,000lbs.
    Well, look at this, (Speedy, please read)...My first upgrade was going to be my wheels, I talked to speedy a lot about this, he helped me find a light weight wheels and even tires (you can save up to 5 pounds with the right tire, go figure).

So, I took out my full size spare (sport pkg rim) and it only weighed 36 pounds (16x7 205). So, I figured I would save no weight by upgrading my wheels and tires (to 17s 225/245), but i would get better handling...I still will do it, but now that I know I won't save any weight, that changes the wheels I'm going to buy, but that's another story.

If you look at the C43 wheels they probably weight over 50 pounds each.. So, that could be 70 pounds (or more) worthless wheel weight slowing down the C43, not including the spare (full size ?).

The C43 also holds more oil, has a tranny cooler, bigger gas tank, more spare plugs (hehe), and who knows what else. So, there might not be too much of a difference in engine weights.

Look how quick speedy's car is, and I'm sure those lighter wheels are helping (remember when we talked about sprung and unsprung wieghts.
    C280Sportster

c230kompressor,

If you stay with 16" wheels you can get some SSR's like my comps that weigh around 11-12lbs, I think. So you could save some weight there and I considered this option also. With a nice set of 16"x8" wheels you could run some 235-245 tires and get them with a lower profile so it would gear your car to run harder.

Toss the resonator and just run a nice Magnaflow. That will drop another 30 to 40 lbs.

And the stock battery is a lead wt. I think mine was 55 lbs. While the PC925__ is 26 lbs.

Just some options.

Jeff

I was doing some checking and if you ran 16"x8" SSR wheels then you could run some toyo ts-1 tires 225/40/16 which are only 23" in diameter. So the wheel/tire package would weigh 31 lbs which would be 5 lbs per wheel lighter than stock and approx. 8 percent higher geared for better acceleration.

The upgrade in tires and would really help the handling and let the engine do it's best. Worth a hard look in my book.

Jeff

Originally posted by speedybenz
    I was doing some checking and if you ran 16"x8" SSR wheels then you could run some toyo ts-1 tires 225/40/16 which are only 23" in diameter. So the wheel/tire package would weigh 31 lbs which would be 5 lbs per wheel lighter than stock and approx. 8 percent higher geared for better acceleration.

The upgrade in tires and would really help the handling and let the engine do it's best. Worth a hard look in my book.

Jeff
    How much more would this setup weigh if we used 17s ?

Can we still go for the gearing advantage ?
    C280Sportster

Originally posted by speedybenz
    ...toyo ts-1 tires 225/40/16 which are only 23" in diameter
    ...and approx. 8 percent higher geared for better acceleration.
    Jeff
    But would this screw up the Cruise/traction control? (And of course the speedo/odo)
    Obsidian Black 1999 C43

Originally posted by mis-u-jerr
    But would this screw up the Cruise/traction control? (And of course the speedo/odo)
    As long as the RPM meter still works...I'm thinking they won't care!
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Yes you could go with 17" wheels but then the weight would be the same as stock. But you could have 17"x 8.5 all around and run 245/35/17 toyo ts-1. They are the only manufacturer I know that makes this size.

If you run them on all four corner the traction control and cruise control will still work correctly. And the 245's will fit in front. What seems to screw up the traction control and other functions is tires sizes that have a big difference in diameter between the front and rear of the car.

Jeff