Thread: Check Engine Light and Abs & ESP/BAS Light is On !

Check Engine Light and Abs & ESP/BAS Light is On !

Hey guys. I have a 2000 c230 Kompressor. Currently has 171,000 miles.

The abs light, esp bas light came on after I hit a pretty good sized pot hole.. front passenger side. . it has a new brake light switch(5 months ago) .. idk what else to look at . Please help me..

2nd thing:
    My check engine light came on about the same time. I got some codes that are p0170: bank 1 and p0455: evap leak ? Idk what this means. If anyone can help me, plz..

Thanks guys/gals.

In Charge
    Did the cluster lights come on immediately or you noticed them sometime afterward?

In Charge
    This may help with the codes: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    This may help with the codes: [url]http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170?/url]
    Hey thanks for replying. The lights came on immediately after hitting the pothole.. would say, 10 sec after turning into a small street to inspect for major damage.

I've been meaning to take it to the mb dealership. But every time I go. They end up trying to sell me things that I can do myself.

I do hear a distant whistle when idle and gassing it .. could I try to clear the codes and see if they come back on ?

In Charge
    You could try and reset the codes, but likely come back after a few hundred miles. As for the cluster lights, you could try an OBD II reader and see if anything else is coming up. I am not sure if the ABS/ESP is related to the P0170 and P0455.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

You could try and reset the codes, but likely come back after a few hundred miles. As for the cluster lights, you could try an OBD II reader and see if anything else is coming up. I am not sure if the ABS/ESP is related to the P0170 and P0455.
    Correct. The P0170 & P0455 are for my check engine light. The abs esp/bas lights are completely different. But I don't know where to start diagnosing for the abs esp/bas light.

In Charge
    Check your battery. If it is low or not charging fully, that abs/esp light will come on. Assuming there is nothing else faulty, of course. Did the indicator turn itself off yet?

Outside of that, my next best guess would be a sensor malfunction.

Check your battery. If it is low or not charging fully, that abs/esp light will come on. Assuming there is nothing else faulty, of course. Did the indicator turn itself off yet?

Outside of that, my next best guess would be a sensor malfunction.
    The battery is new... the indicator is still on
    ... which sensor might be wrong ?

I'd check the wiring to the speed sensor or the sensor itself on the side that took the hit. But best to get on a diagnostic machine. Maybe invest in a cheap Car soft 7.4. It's helped me quite alot for the money I spent on it and even made money from it diagnosing other cars.