Thread: ignition probs.

Exclamation ignition probs.

my 98 c43 doesnt always start on the first crank.sometimes it dies before it can crank, i release the key try it again and then it starts. sometimes it takes 2 cranks of dying then it starts. anybody with this same prob? remedies?

I experienced something similar with my 94 c280 last autumn when the mornings started to get cold. It only happened when it was cold in the morning, around 15-20 farehnheit. The gas that was in the tank was over a month old, and still on the summer formula. He suggested trying a lower octane gas, so I used 91 instead of the 94 I normally run. When I went to the 91 octane, which by that time was formulated for winter conditions, it instantly cured the problem. The technician said that if this didn't cure the problem, the next likely culprit was the coolant temperature sensor.

Does your starting problem happen at all times, or just when it is a little cooler than usual. I can see you are in California, so cold for you is probably different than cold here in Toronto, Canada. But I would try a lower octane gas first and see what happens.

Jonathan

In Charge
    My C43 does the same thing. I have had numerous people look into it and here is what they say:

1) clutch plate needs to be lubricated? Dealer told me this is the possible problem, repair was like $400. I had an indy look into it, and he laughed saying "never heard that before."
    2) indy shop suggested I check the battery. Battery was dropping in voltage when it was checked. I replaced the battery and everything seemed fine. Maybe 6 months later, I noticed the problem started to reoccur.

Kinda stumped on what to do. I talk to my car before starting up....seems to help a little.

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Alternator? Plugs? Wires?

Maybe the car isn't turning over as well due to the lack of electricity and the battery doesn't get fully charged because the alternator is shot?
    2005 TSX Graphite Pearl Auto With NAVI
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

1997 AMG C36 (RIP Thank God)
    OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    Speedybenz custom rear camber arms
    W210 mirrors

ignition probs

have plenty of juice, but it seems to cut out intermittintly. right before starting it just dies.like someone cut off the juice.

i believe the users manual says its normal and just to try again.. happens to me every now and then, not neccesarily when its cold or hot.

starting from the basics, did you check for fouled spark plugs, clogged fuel filter, worn out ignition wires? moving on to more involved stuff, is the alternator output correct amp and voltage, if not check voltage regulator for wear.... lastly what about the starter itself....
    95 M3 (US)
    87 190E 2.6
    95 318is (EURO)