Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CF Hood?

i notice from the picture above that the car is using hoodpins. I assume this is needed when actually using your car on the road and not at a show?

My concern is will the skin delaminate the underside that the hinges and latches were attached to and go flying around on the freeway without the use of proper hoodpins?

also are the hoods 100% carbon fiber or is it 1 layer CF plus a few layers of mat and fiberglass?

I would seriouly consider to be in on this group buy but I gotta think highway safety as well.

Yes, I have embarked on making plugs and molds
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Originally posted by speedybenz
    So What does the stock W202 hood weigh? And what does the VIS CF hood weigh?

I would like to buy, but I have to know the wieght 1st.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Jeff
    I will get you the weight on Monday. The 201 hood weighs about 60lbs and a fiber glass 201 hood weighs about 19 lbs. The CF should be about 1/2 to 2/3 the weight or fiberglass based on the CF material vs the glass fiber, taking in consideration of the resin and over all thickness.

This is also weight higher up on the car, by reducing will effectively lowering the C.G. Weigh is more of a factor the higher up on the car sice it will be tossed around like a swinging pendulum. Less body roll over the front tire means less weight in components to counter act the weight transfer. i.e. your sway bars work better. You suspension is less stressed under both static and dynamic loads. This means smaller/lighter sway bars and springs work better since the counter acting force is less.

What kind of CF hood did Jon Pek have on his W202? He dident have hood pins and it looked really cleaN
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

In Charge
    Originally posted by jnolte
    What kind of CF hood did Jon Pek have on his W202? He dident have hood pins and it looked really cleaN
    He didnt. It was the OEM laminated with cf-like pattern. I asked him.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

a CF hood should be stronger that the steel hood it replaces as long as it's designed right. I would not be worried about it flopping up unless the design was very poorly done. Plus mine would be painted to match the car.

But if the stock W202 hood is really 60 lbs and the VIS hood only say 15lbs then I am getting a woodie as MRP is right, that weight is above the center of gravity and in the front of the car. A loss of 40lbs at this location would be noticable.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

MRP do you know how much an 89' 2.6 hood would weighs?

I wasn't aware their were different materials being used

I still haven't called my buddy up about a hood

I hadn't read the other posts so pardon me if this has already been discussed but not only are CF hoods yesterday's rice, but your OEM hood is designed to buckle in an accident to prevent harming you, who knows WTF a CF hood will do. Also, many CF hoods need to be pinned down with "racing pins." Finally, you will have to disengage your W202's hood propping system, because it may damage CF hoods.

The OE MB hood is about 60lbs plus the pad weight. There are different pads that can very from about 5 to 20 lbs. The heavier being an aluminized sound deading pad.

Originally posted by Under Pressure
    I hadn't read the other posts so pardon me if this has already been discussed but not only are CF hoods yesterday's rice, but your OEM hood is designed to buckle in an accident to prevent harming you, who knows WTF a CF hood will do. Also, many CF hoods need to be pinned down with "racing pins." Finally, you will have to disengage your W202's hood propping system, because it may damage CF hoods.
    You are right the hood is in the crumple zone. If it were too rigid it could decapitate you if it broke free from the hinges in an accident. CF is has extreme strength to weight ratio but would break apart if it was subject to a sudden impact. Have you ever seen a Formula 1 and GT cars after impact. They break apart, much like crumple zones on a street car. They are rigid and some what brittle. Like glass, harden tool steel, peanut brittle, etc. Metals used in automotive applications are flexible, and absorb energy as it is compressed or reshaped, hence cumple zones where weak points or points of failure are designed in to control the decelleration of impact. This is for more predictability and allows for the metal to deform at a known rate. Carbon fiber would shatter or shear apart in a random manner depending on the reinforcements on the underside of the hood.

I own that vis hood its not all worth the price it actually should be hella alot cheaper than the 300-600 dollars people been getting priced for believe me . no hood pins but made hella poorly ..the thing with VIS is that they produce many molds of kits, they tend to come out shitty when its about the hundreth one... I wish you guys can see this hood in person you'll be surprised..... its a fiberglass hood with a sheet of cf fiber Everything that is fiberglass needs to be prep alot better, you see many lil holes and pits(not very smooth)the hood liner doesnt match at all you need to cut it to make it fit. when a hood is coming from VIS it tends to be like that .... my hood is held up by only the lock.... when the hoods close it tends to bow.. because the pressure of the torsion things to hold your hood up.. you need 2 people to close it... holds very good on the freeway but when you get out of your car the bow is even higher . almost can look in the engine..I really dont recommend this hood ... I rather get a stock one and carbon fiber wrap it......

Originally posted by Under Pressure
    I don't know about the rice part

For some ethusiast their modded cars aren't their everyday drivers.

A hood would the least of my concerns in a accident.

With a hood weighing in at 60lbs I'd hope it would be in the crumple zone

I do not care about the looks only that it is lighter. In fact mine would be painted to match the car.

I do want the hood to be able to fit well and not bow under driving loads. If its a little weak you could always add a section or two of addtional CF to strengthen the hood.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

i have the hood... the fitment isnt that great, took a long time to make the grill fit and the mounting holes and the stock hood latch, I had to sand a lot of parts since the fiberglass if so thick... It is way too light for the shocks, so I had to take both shocks off... it sucks because there is no way to keep the hood up other than sticking a pole or stick to keep it proped... I got the hood for $550 and actually the only mercedes in the bay area here in ca to have it!!!! i get many complements on it and people think it must cost over $1k... here is a pic of it.

99amgc43,

Can you repost your pic. It does not show up.

Thanks,

Also how much lighter was the hood?

Jeff

fitment on hood looks good in the pic, but in real life its off
    [IMG]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QwAAAPcTAJ9*TITycIaRs35QMJpA!KV1WPj5sZGOtlPLSGz3q ssMFHY3IJrICE756*GWRIm*lY*eoad5vVRrLwd6EpQt!Jwf4BI iNZyqngg/c43.jpg?dc=4675463957919073322[/IMG]

speedy benz, how much does ti cost to install lowering springs? where is the cheapest place to go??? lowest i found was $200 jus for labor!!! also the hood must weigh prolly 30-35 lbs

99amgc43,

I live in Sacto, CA and I went to a local independant to have it done when I had Eibach springs. The stock spring s are real bear to change without the internal spring compressor that MB has.

$200 to change them is about as good a price as I have seen.

Jeff

Originally posted by 99amgc43
    i have the hood... the fitment isnt that great, took a long time to make the grill fit and the mounting holes and the stock hood latch, I had to sand a lot of parts since the fiberglass if so thick... It is way too light for the shocks, so I had to take both shocks off... it sucks because there is no way to keep the hood up other than sticking a pole or stick to keep it proped... I got the hood for $550 and actually the only mercedes in the bay area here in ca to have it!!!! i get many complements on it and people think it must cost over $1k... here is a pic of it.

Oh, we have a couple of members that have seen you around!! Shanta is one and some of us are on BNZSport.com

You should come to one of our gtgs Unfortunately though, you're not the only Benz in the Bay with a CF hood. Jon Pek has had one for a while and I just got it off of him and will be installing it soon Pic:

ya ive seen his car in many shows, I didnt know he lived in the bay area... hmmmm let me correct myself, i am the only person in alameda/oakland/san leandro/hayward with with a cf hood??? lol

ya ive seen his car in many shows, I didnt know he lived in the bay area... hmmmm let me correct myself, i am the only person in alameda/oakland/san leandro/hayward with with a cf hood??? lol do you know someone selling h&R springs for my car, perhaps used or something and install for a koo price???

Originally posted by 99amgc43
    fitment on hood looks good in the pic, but in real life its off
    It looks a little off from the pic

In Charge
    Originally posted by Brabus
    Jon Pek has had one for a while and I just got it off of him and will be installing it soon Pic:

When I asked Jon, he said it was carbon overlay. IS it really c.f?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    When I asked Jon, he said it was carbon overlay. IS it really c.f?
    It is overlay CF

how much did it cost to do the overlay cf??? thats why his hood is perfect fitment, but i noticed up close he has a black border around the corners... my hood is actually fiberglass and CF... so maybe i am the only benz with a real cf hood in the bay =) lol

Re: Re: CF Hood

Originally posted by MRP Motorsports
    Here is a pic of the carbon fiber on white from VIS.

If you are in the Florida area, I'm a dealer for VIS, and get you dicount pricing without having to wait for a group buy. Even with a considerable discount, shipping is going to cost you $75 - $125 dollars state side from VIS. That is, unless you pick it up from a ViS directly or at a local dealer tht carries their MB parts.
    wuz up, I'm down in miami n need to get the hood, I mailed you a couple of times without any answer. Please get back to me or post a telephone number where I can reach you.

Regards,

G Padilla

Guillermo_Padilla@hotmail.com