Thread: Group buy: underdrive pully (more horsepower)

Group buy: underdrive pully (more horsepower)

Here is the catch, we have to have it made for us. Evosport makes a set of underdrive pullies for all V6 engines. These underdrive pullies free up power.

I believe it was Speedybenz, that suggest a better alternative, underdrive everything with a custom made (and lighter) crankshaft pully. Many of us should change ours anyway (because of the problem with the rubber).

All we need are the specs and a shop to make them.

Evosport says with their pullies you can get 13 hp in first gear, and 9 in second, etc. I think with the crankshaft, we would see greater gains and in all gears.

Everything with Mercedes is overkill, so I see no reason why we can't underdrive out AC/Alternator/Etc.

Lets get this done, then we can start planing on getting electric fans in our cars (this will free up MORE power).
    C280Sportster

do you have any before/after dynos of UD pulleys on a V6?
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Many of us should change ours anyway (because of the problem with the rubber).
    The rubber is there to absorbed/control the vibration from the engine but on some engine, the pulley still failed. Can you imagine running any pulley WITHOUT the rubber/harmonic damper? I wouldn't do it !!

is there any setup for the inline 6 and approx how much i would be interested in get some underdrive pullies

Originally posted by Linh
    The rubber is there to absorbed/control the vibration from the engine but on some engine, the pulley still failed. Can you imagine running any pulley WITHOUT the rubber/harmonic damper? I wouldn't do it !!
    Well I want to have a new crackshaft pully made with the rubber.

I believe Speedybenz had one made without the rubber and he said it ran fine. But he crashed his C280 soon after, so there wasn't any long term test (I could be wrong about the time).

As far as the inline 6, I see no reason why you can't do the same thing. I'm guessing most people here have the V6. So, we can probably get a deal on getting 10 of them made.

If Speedybenz can jump into this thread that would help !

Here is a link where he suggested changing the crankshaft pully:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ght=underdrive

This type of mod exists for other cars, so I see no reason why we can't do it with a Mercedes. Not to mention the fact that MB builds everything overkill, so we can underdrive everything and not lose anything (like AC, amps, etc).
    C280Sportster

pending actual cost of this id for sure be interested especially if i could pick up soem horsies in first gear! =)
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

In Charge
    Originally posted by Renn 208
    do you have any before/after dynos of UD pulleys on a V6?
    Only stuff I have seen are for BMW's. The pulleys were featured in European Car and Eurotuner. I have the issues in case you were interested.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Only stuff I have seen are for BMW's. The pulleys were featured in European Car and Eurotuner. I have the issues in case you were interested.
    I believe if we change the Crankshaft pulley we would have the same power in all gears.

Here is a link to evosport's underdrive pulley kit, note this is a 3 pulley kit for V6s and V8s:

http://evosport.com/product/perf/per...html#powerpckg

From website:

"Kit includes water pump, power steering, alternator pulleys and belt. The T-6061 aluminum, hard anodized pulleys account for a 10- to 20-percent decrease in accessories speeds, reducing the load on the engine. The pulleys were good for 13hp (1st gear), 9hp (2nd gear), 7hp (3rd gear) gains on a 2000 E320. (BMW pulleys shown. Mercedes pulleys are black anodized)"

Now if Evosport would just make a crankshaft pulley, we would be set!
    C280Sportster

Other options would be to just have a lighter crankshaft pulley made (I don't know if it's true, but I've read that each pound we lose = 2.7 HP, I guess that would be at the crank) that uses a mercedes harmonic damper or have our existing crankshaft pulley made lighter (holes drilled).

Check out this link:

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/t...nkshaft+pulley

This is for a C230 Kompressor, but you get the idea.

So, if we can save 2 pounds that would equal about 5.2 hp.

Then add the evosport pulley kit and we are set.

Problem is, that pulley list for $650 (from http://www.aspracing.com), so ours would probably be the same. This could get expensive, but it's still worth it.
    C280Sportster

As far as the inline 6, I see no reason why you can't do the same thing. I'm guessing most people here have the V6. So, we can probably get a deal on getting 10 of them made.
    You are right. I didn't know you were talking about the inline 6. The V6 is the one that has problem.

Man...Need some thing for the V6 man!!!!!!!! anyone??? plz!?

Originally posted by MBATF
    Well there might be something for our V6's SOON!

Next week I'm going to talk to an engineer about making a lighter crankshaft pulley for us.

I will also see if one can be made to "underdrive" our accessories (10%-20%) and take our existing dampner.

Stay tuned
    C280Sportster

You guys stoked about this?
    C280Sportster

RE: Group Buy For C230k

Is there a group buy for the C230k pulley also? Is there a thread for this?

Thanx..

Re: RE: Group Buy For C230k

Originally posted by jay123
    Is there a group buy for the C230k pulley also? Is there a thread for this?

Thanx..

If you can put a group buy of at least 5 or more for the pre-2000 C230K, i knock $75 off per kit.

In Charge
    Originally posted by MBATF
    They have one for the V6!
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

I had a lighter crankshaft pulley on my 1999, C280 V6, it was some 6 lbs lighter. I could not detect any increase in vibration or any added roughness to the motor. I would not hesitate to put a similar pulley on again.

The evosport pulleys combined with a same diameter crankshaft as stock would be very good and result in a increase in power and acceleration.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff