Thread: Turn on bumper fogs without headlights

Turn on bumper fogs without headlights

On my 96 280

What I've always wondered is why is it that I can't turn on my bumper fogs without turning on my headlamps...

It would be kewl to cruise just with the bumper fogs...

But they only turn on when I Hi beam my lamps...

the fogs in the headlight cluster can be turned on but look funny without the entire thing on...

is this really how benz wires the thing? have any of you guys fixed your wiring so that your bumperr fogs turn on when you pull the light switch?

Re: Turn on bumper fogs without headlights

Originally posted by GPReyes
    On my 96 280

What I've always wondered is why is it that I can't turn on my bumper fogs without turning on my headlamps...

It would be kewl to cruise just with the bumper fogs...
    Why? Because it's not cool, and it's illegal. You cannot have secondary lighting equipement on (fogs) without primary ones on (headlights). I mean technically, if you need to see through the fog, you'll have your headlights on, not just the fogs. Driving w/ fogs only is better left to mexicans.
    2007 FJ Cuiser
    2003 E55 AMG

Re: Turn on bumper fogs without headlights

Originally posted by GPReyes
    On my 96 280

[snip]
    is this really how benz wires the thing? have any of you guys fixed your wiring so that your bumperr fogs turn on when you pull the light switch?
    I have a 98 C43 and this is the way mine works from the factory. Suprised to hear the '96 isn't working that way.

i have a 96 c280 with no bumper fogs! wtf is urs black cause ill trade u if it is mines dessert silver
    KingMotorCar - Where Reputation is Everything.

my 1995 c36 could have only fogs on and my 1999 c43 can too..
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

In Charge
    Originally posted by jnolte
    my 1995 c36 could have only fogs on and my 1999 c43 can too..
    :werd:
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

OG Moderator
    Although I don't the specific information I am sure this could be overcome with the right relay.

A lot of US (North American)car includings Benz's and BMW's have the same wiring as their European edition and the only different is on the relay being used.

For example:
    I used to own E36 325i and the foglight is connected to the city-light(eruopean model)/corner light (US model). And the foglight will be turned off as soon as you flicked the high-beam.

I was able to by pass the wiring relay so that when I have my high beam I have all 6 light illuminated (fog-light, low beam and high-beam).

then again I don't have the information on how to do this since I own a C36. By design the C36 bumper foglight relay wiring is separate from the headlight (but it is connected to the rear fog-light).

PS: I just realized that you have a 96 C280..
    The question now is that is this an aftermarket foglight or it is a factory installed.

As far as I can recall I don't think any W202 model will have bumper foglight except W202-AMG model.

If it is an aftermarket foglight then you could modify the wiring so that it doesn't get the power from the headlight but directly to the power source.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I AM mexican...

kidding...

I really don't intend to drive around in thick-ass fog with no headlamps and just fogs...

I just think it's cool to have them turrn on on their own just for the sake of it ... or while cruising in brighty lit exclusive villages in manila, or just for photo ops sake (carcissistic....aren't we all?)

thanks J Irwan for the info... the fogs are original lorinsers which came with the bumper I got...will have the tech guy take a look at the relays =)

Your a Jerk

I am Mexican...your use of racial profiling is obnoxious and inappropriate.

i have a 96 c280 with no bumper fogs! wtf is urs black cause ill trade u if it is mines dessert silver
    Mine has no fogs either but its a 98 C280

Re: Your a Jerk

Originally posted by heyjay
    I am Mexican...your use of racial profiling is obnoxious and inappropriate.
    ya, one time i got hit from a mexican tho, couldnt speak english, had no license, had no insurance and the car wasnt registered. had to call the cops and they impounded the car and took that sucka to jail, so i dont think its too inappropriate

One bad incident with a irresponsible person, gives you the right to classify an entire race. Your ignorance is pathetic.
    Jay

Jay you are totally right, I think there´s decent and indecent people in the US, Mexico and the entire world

99amgc43, I asume that when you visit Mexico or other non english speaking countries you speak very well their language, right????

I understand if he was here "visiting" but that was not the case. He was living, working and driving here in the u.s. illegally, something that I would never do. He had no license, called someone to translate for him and said that he did not want to involve the police. Once the police came I could see why, they impounded his car since it had stolen 2006 tags and I do not know what they did to him since I left the scene.

if someone was visiting here and this accident happened in their rental car then that would be fine, different story and hey shiet happens.

either way this has nothing to do with w202's so lets stop here. thanks