Thread: c230 98 sound system info

Question c230 98 sound system info

i want to put a sound system to my car cause lets face it, c230 98 sound system seriiously sucks...however i dont want to take out the original car stereo cause it looks good, any idea if i can install amps, and subs to a original 98 stereo ?

there tons of info on this. try the search button

Hi,

I *was* in the same position as you with my 99 C230. The stock system is just not powerful so I had a shop wire my clarion amp I had to a new 12 inch clarion sub.

What you have to do is "tap" into the rear speakers (+, -) and bring it into the amp....the remote turn on (power up signal) for the amp to tell it when to come on comes from the stock head unit. Luckily the battery is in the trunk for easy hook up for the amp.

The sound did become much more powerful while still retaining the stock unit and speakers due to the heavier bass from the sub. Its still not the best system out there but its a great improvement.

With the bass level on the head unit in the middle and the bass gain on my amp on half to 3-quarters, you can crank it all the way with no distortion and decent enough clean sound since the stock system is not trying to produce all the bass now, rather just "sound'. Its just lacking some midrange thats all. Thats where the stock speakers lack.

If any other questions let me know.

ok that was very helpfull, thanks a bunch, neidea if we can replace the stock speakers as well ????

You can but I heard its a chore as the stock speakers sit in enclosures and need to be removed out of them and then you need to somehow use the same enclosure for the new speaker.