Thread: 1998 Mercedes C230 (Non-Kompressor) Custom CAI using Spectre components. Not a ''short-ram''.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yeah until I did mine, I never saw anyone do the intake piping from the throtle body. It has def increased performance. The stock/factory 0-60mph is 10.5-10.6secs with 150hp/162tq flywheel. I have done some 0-60mph last night with the stage 2 and am running consistent 10.08sec, with one 9.9sec. So i dropped .5-.6sec off the fsctory 0-60 with this mod and on stock tuning. I plan on getting a K1 Motorsports/speed innovation tune. (Soldered Chip/reflash for 93 octane). The ECU/chip tune is worth on a stock engine 16hp/19tq claimed on K1 Motorsports ($299) I'm hoping that will put me around 170-175hp. Also I found a "tri-y" design longtube header on ebay for around $140$-175, claims of 10-15hp. Gonna get that and do a custome exhaust: remove the 3 cats and install one high flow, swap out factory resonator and rear muffler for a new resonator and either a magnaflow or borla muffler. My goal is to get into the 7s in 0-60mph. Basically being as quick as a stock C230 Kompressor.

I need help finding a custom set of camshafts with valvesprings & retainers, larger throttle body, and a larger MAF (if needed).

I know most people will say just buy a different W202 platform, but I love this car and it gets 32mpg hwy still.

I also read the M111 engine is pretty stout internals wise and can withstand up to 1.25 bar of boost pressure, that's around 17-18psi.

I eventually want to turbo my C230 using a garrett gt2876r or gt3076r, with external wastegate and a log style manifold for simplicity and relaibilty. I can install everything, however the biggest issue I've run into is how to tune these cars.

Does anyonw know what tuning software to use on stock ECU for forced induction, I don't want to use a standalone.

I read in a eurtuner magazine this guy had a 1996 C230 turbo using a HKS turbo. It was black with a C36 amg body kit, had larger injectors and as far as tuning the only thing mentioned was the use of a 3in MAF and dynowork done by Joe Solty/Turbo Joe. He made 9psi and 300whp, that's around what I want probably 250-275whp just very responsive. Any help on how to tune my C230 would be great.

Lastly, I have the 5-tronic, I think.( its PRND4321). I read that this transmission is "sealed" from factory so u can't do a fluid change say at home, but mine has a fill tube on passenger side rear of engine and firewall with a red plastic piece. Although there is no dipstick inside. Anyway, I read the 5-tronic is very strong capable of 796ftlbs torque holding. So does anyone know if a shiftkit or TCU tuning is available to increase line pressures, shift points. Also what is stock stall, anything aftermarket that is higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Milenkogt View Post
    Yeah until I did mine, I never saw anyone do the intake piping from the throtle body. It has def increased performance. The stock/factory 0-60mph is 10.5-10.6secs with 150hp/162tq flywheel. I have done some 0-60mph last night with the stage 2 and am running consistent 10.08sec, with one 9.9sec. So i dropped .5-.6sec off the fsctory 0-60 with this mod and on stock tuning. I plan on getting a K1 Motorsports/speed innovation tune. (Soldered Chip/reflash for 93 octane). The ECU/chip tune is worth on a stock engine 16hp/19tq claimed on K1 Motorsports ($299) I'm hoping that will put me around 170-175hp. Also I found a "tri-y" design longtube header on ebay for around $140$-175, claims of 10-15hp. Gonna get that and do a custome exhaust: remove the 3 cats and install one high flow, swap out factory resonator and rear muffler for a new resonator and either a magnaflow or borla muffler. My goal is to get into the 7s in 0-60mph. Basically being as quick as a stock C230 Kompressor.

I need help finding a custom set of camshafts with valvesprings & retainers, larger throttle body, and a larger MAF (if needed).

I know most people will say just buy a different W202 platform, but I love this car and it gets 32mpg hwy still.

I also read the M111 engine is pretty stout internals wise and can withstand up to 1.25 bar of boost pressure, that's around 17-18psi.

I eventually want to turbo my C230 using a garrett gt2876r or gt3076r, with external wastegate and a log style manifold for simplicity and relaibilty. I can install everything, however the biggest issue I've run into is how to tune these cars.

Does anyonw know what tuning software to use on stock ECU for forced induction, I don't want to use a standalone.

I read in a eurtuner magazine this guy had a 1996 C230 turbo using a HKS turbo. It was black with a C36 amg body kit, had larger injectors and as far as tuning the only thing mentioned was the use of a 3in MAF and dynowork done by Joe Solty/Turbo Joe. He made 9psi and 300whp, that's around what I want probably 250-275whp just very responsive. Any help on how to tune my C230 would be great.

Lastly, I have the 5-tronic, I think.( its PRND4321). I read that this transmission is "sealed" from factory so u can't do a fluid change say at home, but mine has a fill tube on passenger side rear of engine and firewall with a red plastic piece. Although there is no dipstick inside. Anyway, I read the 5-tronic is very strong capable of 796ftlbs torque holding. So does anyone know if a shiftkit or TCU tuning is available to increase line pressures, shift points. Also what is stock stall, anything aftermarket that is higher?
    im trying to think if removing the whole intake system is safe lol. did you get any check engine lights? and do you think it was just a placebo or you really got gains? because ive wanted to do that but i feel like just adding metal piping wont make a difference. i love the way it looks though lol. appreciate the information though if you say it helps ill trust you and go for it haha
    1997 c230 165k 2011-2013
    2003 c320 114k 2013-2014
    2002 e320 84k 2014-2015
    1999 c280 137k 2015-