Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which shock?

Which shock?

Guys,

I've been on the look out for new shocks & springs for the C230K. After having a look around I decided either to get Bilsteins B6's plus springs or B12's. Then looking at the cost, not cheap, I decided to have a look at Koni & H&R. I've never driven a W202 with uprated suspension.

Koni Sport (yellow, top adjustable) €423 + Eibach springs €170 = €593/$771
    Bilstein B6's €480 + Eibach springs €170.............................. = €650/$845
    Bilstein B12's Pro kit (30/30mm)............................................. .€560/$728
    Bilstein B12's Sportline kit (50/35mm).......................................€610/$793
    H&R Cup Kit Sport kit(60/40mm)............................................. .€460/$598
    H&R Cup Kit Touring kit(40/40mm)...........................................€4 30/$559

So, what do you think?
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 04-17-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    JJJ.

In Charge
    I am using H&R Sport Springs with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks. I like the ride: firm and feels planted. I take corners fast and experience minimal effects.

My shocks are set to full hardest and can be stiff for daily driving. I use my car for general local driving and some long distance driving. Works for me. I do not think if I drove everday for 40 miles that I would like it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    I am using H&R Sport Springs with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks. I like the ride: firm and feels planted. I take corners fast and experience minimal effects.

My shocks are set to full hardest and can be stiff for daily driving. I use my car for general local driving and some long distance driving. Works for me. I do not think if I drove everday for 40 miles that I would like it as much.
    Thanks Denlasoul, you've got me thinking.
    JJJ.

do you get a harsh ride feeling every speedbump or pothole on bad surface roads?
    does your car feel comfortable on long journeys?

maybe on mid settings is the best for everyday driving?
    what do you think?

on softest setting is it like a floating spongy ride?

What swaybars are you running? Are they stock or larger aftermarket.

Koni's are known for being valved a little heavier on the compression stroke compared to Bilsteins. Koni valves them as a performance replacement shock for a stock car with stock height and stock spring rates. It is best to use them with a progressive rate spring (at the very least a rear progressive and front linear rate so it does not buck you in the ass on every bump). Or you can use them with a heavier front spring but keep the swaybar light (smaller stock units).

Koni's are on sale right now at Tirerack (which in 30 years I have never seen a Koni shock on sale- I am a diehard Koni fan). I have been pndering coilovers and weightjacks for this car but really do not hink now that I am going through the trouble for a daily driver mainly for the little lady- but I do drive it occationally and mainly when we go out together (ie- dinner, etc). What I am looking on doing is a C280 H&R kit (29927-1, 1.4f/1.3r claimed spec) onto my lighter nosed C220 with Koni Yellow's and a larger rear bar only (front bar will remain stock for decent ride quality- I make up the roll stiffness in the indepopendant spring rate only, and not by locking up both sides with a heavy bar that throws the occupants side to side violently on every bump).

Dean

ps- I have done very simmular setups using Koni shock, linear fornt coils/progressive rear coils, mild front bar, heavy rear bar on other types of cars with very favorable ride and handling qualities.

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    do you get a harsh ride feeling every speedbump or pothole on bad surface roads?
    does your car feel comfortable on long journeys?

maybe on mid settings is the best for everyday driving?
    what do you think?

on softest setting is it like a floating spongy ride?
    I consider the ride hard for potholes and very bumpy roads. It is due to a number of factors: 1) my car is much lower than predicted spring lowering. I would say maybe a full inch lower than listed. 2) my shocks are set to full hard. I dont believe that is much of an issue, but my bump stops are the stock height and maybe would be better to get smaller ones. Lowering has reduced the travel distance before hitting the stop, and thus likely a hard bump when fully compressed. 3) low profile tires on 18's. 35/40 series tires dont absorb bumps that well.

Dont know how the other settings feel, but could be worth trying out. For daily driving, a softer ride would be nice. Since my car is more recreational, I dont mind a firm ride.

On long rides, drives like a dream if the roads are relatively smooth.

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    What swaybars are you running? Are they stock or larger
    The stock C43 swaybars. I cannot remember their size off the top of my head, but they are larger than normal.

H&Rs with bilsteins B8s... firm but smooth ride....

O.k., I'll check out costs for those.
    JJJ.

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jones Jr. View Post
    O.k., I'll check out costs for those.
    Make sure the shocks are for lowered applications. A stock shock height will wear out faster. I know bc that is how I had my car setup until the switch to Koni.

Make sure the shocks are for lowered applications. A stock shock height will wear out faster. I know bc that is how I had my car setup until the switch to Koni.
    I won't have any problems with B8's Delasoul, simply after checking out the cost they're too expensive and also the after reading Bilstein's product details I don't think they're what I'm after as the car will be put into action as a daily driver. Now, leaning towards the H&R Touring kit.
    JJJ.

Whatever you do like vetruck said, keep the stock sway bars or you will be so stiff it will only slide when you turn lol

I consider the ride hard for potholes and very bumpy roads. It is due to a number of factors: 1) my car is much lower than predicted spring lowering. I would say maybe a full inch lower than listed. 2) my shocks are set to full hard. I dont believe that is much of an issue, but my bump stops are the stock height and maybe would be better to get smaller ones. Lowering has reduced the travel distance before hitting the stop, and thus likely a hard bump when fully compressed. 3) low profile tires on 18's. 35/40 series tires dont absorb bumps that well.

Dont know how the other settings feel, but could be worth trying out. For daily driving, a softer ride would be nice. Since my car is more recreational, I dont mind a firm ride.

On long rides, drives like a dream if the roads are relatively smooth.
    I have Vogtland springs 952079 sitting at home.
    I'm going to get Koni's externally adjustable shox within a few months, I'm also using 5-front/4-rear spring pad combo.
    I don't know if all these parts is a good combination for great preformance and ride quality?
    My euro factory set up is great for ride quality but LESS good for performance driving!?

Getting valuable information from other people who has the same stuff koni/vogtland kit is gold for me.
    Everybody doesn't have the same taste.
    Question is?
    Buy or not buying Koni's?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike51809 View Post
    Whatever you do like vetruck said, keep the stock sway bars or you will be so stiff it will only slide when you turn lol
    Thanks for mentioning that, as sway bars were on the list to change at some stage. May not bother now? We'll see. Are H&R or Eibach different from the standard C43 bars?
    JJJ.

I have Vogtland springs 952079 sitting at home.
    I'm going to get Koni's externally adjustable shox within a few months, I'm also using 5-front/4-rear spring pad combo.
    I don't know if all these parts is a good combination for great preformance and ride quality?
    My euro factory set up is great for ride quality but LESS good for performance driving!?

Getting valuable information from other people who has the same stuff koni/vogtland kit is gold for me.
    Everybody doesn't have the same taste.
    Question is?
    Buy or not buying Koni's?
    I really don't think you can go wrong with the Koni top adjustable, you are bound to find a suitable setting or even two settings - one for everyday and the other for hard driving, may just take a little time to fine tune the ideal setting. The same with the spring pad combo.

As for the Vogtland springs, they are reasonably popular here in Europe, again I don't imagine any problems, anyway they are bound to be a vast improvement on standard springs. Personally, I reckon spring brand is over hyped in cheaper or more modest price bracket. Doubt there's much different between an Eibach and your Vogtland. Buy the Koni's. The only reason I'm not is simply cost ($200 more expensive than the H&R's) and it's not just the money. I got a very cheap C230 Kompressor that I didn't need but couldn't resist so I have to keep things under control as I've also got a 2.5-16 begging for money to be spent on it
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 04-18-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    JJJ.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the Koni top adjustable, you are bound to find a suitable setting or even two settings - one for everyday and the other for hard driving, may just take a little time to fine tune the ideal setting. The same with the spring pad combo.

As for the Vogtland springs, they are reasonably popular here in Europe, again I don't imagine any problems, anyway they are bound to be a vast improvement on standard springs. Personally, I reckon spring brand is over hyped in cheaper or more modest price bracket. Doubt there's much different between an Eibach and your Vogtland. Buy the Koni's. The only reason I'm not is simply cost ($200 more expensive than the H&R's) and it's not just the money. I got a very cheap C230 Kompressor that I didn't need but couldn't resist so I have to keep things under control as I've also got a 2.5-16 begging for money to be spent on it
    thanks for your reply bro.

there are not many shox to chose over.
    either Bilstein B8 or Koni's.
    I think I will go with Koni's as they are a bit special with their adjustable options.

However I appreciate if more Koni-users will chime in with positive and negative feedback.

Well, I have used B6's with H&R springs before and I was very,very pleased with the results especially considering they replaced perfect B4's with Eibach springs. I also used Koni Sport on my BMW 2002 and there were excellent too. So, imo there's no hard & fast rules to picking one leading brand of shock over the other.
    JJJ.

Well, I have used B6's with H&R springs before and I was very,very pleased with the results especially considering they replaced perfect B4's with Eibach springs. I also used Koni Sport on my BMW 2002 and there were excellent too. So, imo there's no hard & fast rules to picking one leading brand of shock over the other.
    i've decided to go with koni's.
    buying AMG shox from stealership is way too expensive!!

Sure?
    JJJ.

In Charge
    buying AMG shox from stealership is way too expensive!!
    Stock C43 shocks are Bilstein.

Stock C43 shocks are Bilstein.
    that's what I said, lots of greens buying from stealer.
    Bilstein makes them for C43AMG

The eibach and h&r sway bars are thicker to prevent lean but with stiffer shocks and springs you dont need that, you either do shocks and springs and leave the sway bars or leave the shocks and springs oe spec and do thicker sway bars depending on what you want.. I thought the same thing though until i took my performance class at school

So I got online to check prices on all this stuff.

I can't find any brand of shock for my 99 C43 except for Monroe (which claims to be OE replacement).

Where are you guys buying this stuff?
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post

I can't find any brand of shock for my 99 C43 except for Monroe (which claims to be OE replacement).

W208 applications work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post

The shocks & springs I listed at the start of the thread are all available on eBay.de, but I doubt that's much help to you.
    JJJ.