Thread: Will this suspension fit?

Will this suspension fit?

So over the past couple of weeks I have been asking around and researching adjustable suspension on my W202 C230. After receiving some solid advice I think I have found what I am looking for, but I just want to be 100% sure before I buy anything. So here are the links, let me know what you guys think:

Adjustable Koni Shocks (Front): http://moddiction.com/koni/koni-shoc.../i-100674.aspx
    Adjustable Koni Shocks (Rear): http://moddiction.com/koni/koni-shoc.../i-100675.aspx

Eibach Pro Kit Springs: http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...9-2549-3375148

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

I have Koni's 26 Series fitted to my car, very happy with them. Those one's you posted above are twin tubes and adjustable on the car. The 26's are mono tube and have to be removed from the car to be adjusted but by all accounts are the better shock.

Have a look here, Vetruck explains the difference between both types. Also note his comment on springs to suit.:http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...99-Which-shock
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 08-21-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    JJJ.

While I now understand the differences between the 26's and the twin tubes and how the 26's are overall better, I think the twin tubes serve my ability and needs a little more. I appreciate the link as I did learn a lot reading from it, but as you can probably understand some of the terminology is a bit advanced for "beginners". With that said would you have any personal recommendations for springs to pair with the twin tubes? If it helps, I prefer comfort and a nice ride (I just need to be low lol). I have a 2000 C230 and its not a sport model or anything. Thanks again John, you have helped me here on the forums a few times now.

Ha, you're not the only one. There's a lot to understand about suspension and the knock on effects of modifications, even then there seems to be do's and don't depending on the particular car. Personally, I just understand the basics and that's why I tend to buy the best recommended parts where possible as I'm always cautious about making changes. Low and big wheels doesn't automatically equate to a better handling car. Then again I don't really care too much about looks that's way I'm aiming to fit W208 CLK 16'' Toliman alloys - not a great looking wheel being honest but ultra light.

I'm sure the Koni top adjustable twin tubes will be excellent, in a way I'm sorry I didn't get them instead of the 26 Series. Live and learn eh?

As for springs I can't recommend any for the 230K. Simply, as I'm still using the standard M-B Sport springs that came with the car. I will change them and use either Eibach or H&R, looking at a drop of 30 to 40mm (mine being a Sport it's 20mm lower than standard so the drop will be 10-20mm as it sits now). I don't think you could go wrong with those brands but get a full four wheel alignment carried out after. Also too, you can lower the car even more by changing the spring pad thickness, these come in three or four different heights - something like 8/13/18/23mm for example and they are very cheap, they will make a big difference depending which one's you fit. You'll more than likely need to adjust the pads anyway if your fitting say 18'' wheels.

One thing I can say is shop around, here in Europe prices vary a lot for the exact same part.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 08-26-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    JJJ.

THe one thing that makes for uncomfortable ride quality is large sway bars. Better off using heavier springs and stock bars for a car lowered and wanting ride comfort. THat disallows the car to ground out but will not corner as well. This gets very technical as to why- basically the roll centers drop and the leverage in lateral loading increases which tosses the drives side to side more if you increase the bar size to prevent roll characteristics of the chassis. THe wheels when hitting bumps will immediately transfer load across the chassis to the other side and this unsettles the occupants. I would recommend getting a little heaver springs for the front of the car then what is listed for your car.- but keep the front sway bar small. THis helps reduce the braking nose dive these cars suffer from.

Yes, Vetruck I took note on using the slightly heavier front springs from your original posts when I was looking for shocks. I'll be opting for a C280 set of springs instead of the one's listed for the C230K. I don't think the 280 rears will be a whole lot different than the C230K's, what do you reckon? The most frustrating thing is that Eibach or H&R don't quote any figures for poundage, if they did at least we know how much difference there is in different springs (eg 230K -v- 280), even someone like myself could work out the percentage difference, which would be a guideline anyway.
    Last edited by John Jones Jr.; 08-26-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    JJJ.

I would suggest looking at the weights of the vehicles. If there is a significant amount of weight difference then the spring rates will be coinciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    I would suggest looking at the weights of the vehicles. If there is a significant amount of weight difference then the spring rates will be coinciding.

I might just stick to the recommended springs from H&R thinking about it as the car is light'ish (being a manual, non s/roof model etc) @ 2990lb/1360kg (1/4 tank, no driver) at present and I'll be looking at losing up to 220lb/100kg in the future. I'll come back and annoy you at some stage on the subject!
    JJJ.